Autonomous Flight - Circle Function / Mission Planner

Reaction score
I've been running an Autonomous Flight pattern that uses the "Circle" function at 14 separate locations in a Mission where the Solo points itself inward at a specific set of GPS coordinates. I've noticed lately that the Solo doesn't actually point to the center of the circles but rather it constantly faces about 10 degrees "off-center" throughout the entire pass of each circle (the Solo is pointed in the wrong direction, not the Gimbal, and the the video is off-center as a result).

I'm also using the Autonomous Flight mode to run a series of straight line patterns in a Mission where the Solo points at the next GPS Coordinate, everything seems fine there (no offset).

I've also run the Solo in the Preset "Orbit" mode, and it appropriately points at the center of the circle (based on the "center" point) without any problems.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues with using the "Circle" function in Mission Planner and whether the Solo doesn't actually point at the GPS coordinate that was programmed into MP? I am wondering if I need to do a "Compass Calibration"?

Also, is there a way to change the Gimbal Tilt in MP for each GPS coordinate within the Mission? For example, if I am running a small circle, I want to have greater downward tilt, if the circle is larger, I would like to have less camera tilt.

I don't think circle will handle the tilt, but a POI way point will allow you to set the altitude of the point to look at

I found circle to be disappointing, and when I need that just use POI way points

Thanks for the info. I have used POI and it works great. I see what you are saying about setting the altitude of the gimbal with POI. This works great when the "fly-by" is in a straight line.

The reason I am using "circles" is that I am running a survey (let's call it) of a new housing development on 1 acre lots (14 of them). Each house that will be built on each property gets a "circle" fly-around. Then we take the clip of each of the 14 houses and build a "time-lapse" of each house being built.

Originally, I built the mission using several GPS points located (around our own house), but the flight path was a bit more like an octogon with the POIs in the center of the octogon for each leg. Didn't seem as clean.

Perhaps you found as I have found that the Circle is always pointed off-center. I found I can adjust the Gimbal tilt for each Circle shot, now. I could not do this on the last Update on the Solo App. Something kept changing my Gimbal tilt angle about 5 seconds after I would initiate it. Too bad some of the changes to firmware are not documented better. I know some things show up on Github, but and actual full list of changes should be issued with App / Solo updates (much more like they do in ArduCopter).

what a great application, then yes your approach would be better. setting an individual POI for each one be a lot of work

You could also try a MPCC for each lot. That way it is saved and repeatable as well. Because of the way MPCC works, it would not take as many points as you would think. I would start with a WP at each lot corner and 1 or 2 in the middle of each side. Each WP pointed at the build site of course. I think it would make for a great, repeatable shot.

Is MPCC "save-able"? Meaning can you load an MPCC flight path every time you power up? Guess I should read-up on how to use MPCC. This method crossed my mind a couple times. I'm just so used to using Droidplanner / Tower / Mission Planner.

Thanks for the tips!

Is MPCC "save-able"? Meaning can you load an MPCC flight path every time you power up? Guess I should read-up on how to use MPCC. This method crossed my mind a couple times. I'm just so used to using Droidplanner / Tower / Mission Planner.

Thanks for the tips!
Yes, Each MPCC is saved and can be repeated. That is what would make it ideal for your situation. Good Luck..

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela