Anything new coming?

Reaction score
DJI is ready to announce the Phantom 4.
Yuneec will release the Typhoon H in April/May.
ProDrone Byrd Premium will be released March 15
Then you have Autel X-Star Premium......

Nothing planned for 3dr/Solo?

They've said their announcements will be at NAB (which is where they announced Solo last year), so the week of April 16th. See Vu's post here (posted today): Support Changes
We're working on some exciting HW and SW releases for 2016 for Solo. We'll be at NAB with guns blazing

true to their word, no new drone every year that leaves you outdated
I think we will see new capabilities for trusty solo
Not to mention, Pixhawk 2 is not going independent of 3DR later this year.
The possibilities there are looking real good

Reactions: Kosh5
I'll repeat what I've said before-one of the big selling points for us was the promise to improve the current machine rather than come out with Solo 2, 3, etc. BUT, technology changes. That's why you need a new Xbox or PlayStation to play the latest games. I don't see 3DR offering upgraded motherboards (or whatever you call them on drones). Eventually, they'll have to abandon Solo 1.

true to their word, no new drone every year that leaves you outdated
I think we will see new capabilities for trusty solo
Not to mention, Pixhawk 2 is not going independent of 3DR later this year.
The possibilities there are looking real good
Personally, I would love to see a Solo scaled to about 20% larger, with 25+minutes air time and a gimbal for larger cameras. Same features and software.
Chris Anderson/3DR has said this in Mid-December about releasing a new quad in 2016 (he said 2015 but corrected himself if you read the actual link below the quote):
Actually, we will release a stand-alone autopilot/wireless package in 2015 that has all the features of the Solo platform with even more power. It's for developers, consumers and VARs (we don't really think of it as a "DIY" market anymore, since it's a cloud-connected platform designed for advanced autonomy, computer vision and data analysis, rather than hobby use).

This will not be the same hardware as the current Solo, but it will be compatible. Like Solo, it will be based on the Dronecode full-stack software platforms and will work with both Dronekit and the Solo SDK.

As Randy says, our open source HW and SW policy has achieved its hoped-for result and there are now many manufacturers making Dronecode-compatible autopilots for the DIY market. There's a lot of innovation in that space, and the price/performance continues to improve at an incredible pace. WIth our own hardware, 3DR is moving towards higher-performance platforms, which are aimed primarily at prosumer and enterprise markets, but on the software side we do everything we can to ensure that products and companies of all sizes and target markets can thrive in this ecosystem.
Note the "moving towards higher-performance platforms, which are aimed at prosumer and enterprise markets". I take that to mean lifting something heavier than a gopro :)

Source: Is 3DR ever going to sell the Solo platform separate from the carriage?

Reactions: Jubalr
That said, they have new announcements for Solo coming in April at NAB. Solo won't be abandoned and will continue to have new features added via updates as well as new hardware/accessory options. The new product is, I'm sure, going to be a lot more expensive and a lot more pro, aimed at a different market. I'm VERY curious to see what that birdy does :)

well we know they are going more snapdragon based
remains to be seen if that will be good or bad.
Would not bother me a bit if they launched a Inspire or Typhoon H direct competitor
so long as they do not completely abandon solo

It is much more advantageous to us that they keep upgrading our software. I was very disappointed with my other quads, when the nee models came out. If you try and sell your old model, the price always goes down. I would much rather have a quad. That is continually updated. I have been reading that a third party is developing sensors for our pixhawk make up.

Reactions: pyrate
with a Pixhawk 2 and companion computer on board solo is a developers dream

Pyrate,

Where are all of the developers? I see more than a dozen or two over with the "white" guys. Why aren't they here? I've tried to entice a few of them over but they don't seem interested. Remember, I want 3dr and the Solo to beat the sh@t out of the other guys, especially, the "white" one but I don't understand why they aren't coming to the party. Enlighten me...

Jerry

JR
isn't the entire solo app and underlying arducopter code open source and being written by a ton of developers?

JR
isn't the entire solo app and underlying arducopter code open source and being written by a ton of developers?

Pyrate,

Guess I just don't get it. I don't see any "individual" apps geared towards Solo. Again, enlighten me. I don't bleed any color. I want Solo to win because its an American company but they have to pony up to win. Some of you guys have a hardon for Solo, I don't. I want the best to win. I hope it's Solo but they have to prove it. I'm flying both my birds and I'm happy with each. Remember, I'm just Joe Blow.

Jerry

Reactions: Lance
There are many developers working on different things. Obstacle avoidance systems, longer lasting batteries, failsafe parachute system. Thete are many cameras out now for mapping and 3d filming, and solo for agriculture use. There is also a tether attachment for the solo. I think that the solo is newer than some of the other drones and the developers are still in the testing stages. I have lots of good ideas that I am developing and testing. Solo for water use is my goal.

well what exactly are you seeing on the development front for DJI that is not already been around for a while with Tower, Mission Planner etc?
Honestly, the stuff I see being developed is not free or open source and well, not really all that innovative.
the OP was talking about all the new drones coming out. I am simply stating you don't need a new hardware platform to innovate with solo.

Sorry if brand loyalty is a problem for you, twice you have waved your impartiality flag and sort of inferred that folks who like solo, (on a 3dr product site) have a hard on, a bit of a dig

I honestly looked at DJI and Yuneec and made a choice.
an informed choice.
Seeing new models come to market is cool, but I just don't feel the need to abandon solo, that It is just my opinion but it will be around for a while.
If I did jump the first choice would be that new Yuneec H

I'll repeat what I've said before-one of the big selling points for us was the promise to improve the current machine rather than come out with Solo 2, 3, etc. BUT, technology changes. That's why you need a new Xbox or PlayStation to play the latest games. I don't see 3DR offering upgraded motherboards (or whatever you call them on drones). Eventually, they'll have to abandon Solo 1.

Beside the camera setup most of the parts on phantoms have been very similar if not identical for how many years now. All of the changes could be easily upgraded much cheaper than buying another bird. Phantom 3 is just a 2 with a few things added, they didn't even bother to change it cosmetically to rob folks out of more money.

People can have a ball buying a new bird every year and if one is eventually as good or better than solo I may join in. I'm not holding my breath waiting on that one though. Now instead of yet another quad I don't need in spring I'm putting that money toward upgrades after nab and a newer street bike since mines not as fast as I'd like. Thanks again 3dr

Last edited:
Reactions: pyrate
At this point I don't understand why both DJI and 3DR have been so secretive about upcoming product or features.

Autel and ProDrone are coming out with birds that matches Lightbridge in distance. What is up with yuneec and 3dr not stepping up to compete in that arena?

I think the price point of the Solo is a problem.
I think the GoPro only option is also a problem.

The phantom standard is now $500. How much better is solo over the standard for first time buyers? This is the problem 3dr is facing. Yuneec had to reduced its price to compete.

New birds coming to market also have to beat DJI price point in orde to compete.

I think yuneec is gaining traction this year. We have to see about the prodrone Byrd. The autel x-star premium is also interesting. I m rooting for all of them because we win!

Last edited:
DJI is ready to announce the Phantom 4.
Yuneec will release the Typhoon H in April/May.
ProDrone Byrd Premium will be released March 15
Then you have Autel X-Star Premium......

Nothing planned for 3dr/Solo?
3dr no need to upgrade the hardware because build to evolve as 3dr says, yeah the only problem is the price of the solo i think needs to reduce.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M