Newbie Flying the new 2.3.0

SPP

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I did the Solo App re-install after my Android keep telling me to do update, regardless that I am already up to date like 4 times :) All good now, no more update icon.

I did have 3DR service stop working during start of a take off. No problem I see.
Is 3DR service a reporting App or it does some assistance to Solo flight Apps as in real flight assistance ?

I was at an island last weekend 23-24th April.
Saturday no flight due to strong wind from a storm and also heavy rain.

Sunday I manage to do early 6 AM flights, low wind and later 10AM pushed my luck during a 12 knot wind.
This time at 12 knots wind I actually use "FLY" to land because I find the FLY/Loiter mode amazingly stable and stupid me, I have a kind belief that "FLY" mode will mess with throttle during a landing or take off, no it does not.

GPS seen 12 sats within 1 minute of powered up. My last flight 9-10th April was at another island 12 n.miles away from this island.

I did short flights, like total 4, none lower than 40% reserve battery when landed.
During 1st flight landing, Solo already touched down, my brain was thinking of Phantom 3 and I did the Phantom motor kill two sticks down-angled and nearly flipped my Solo...LOL. I think those with muscle memory of Phantom/DJI best becareful when landing Solo, you can flip your Solo due to this.

During the landing with 12 knots wind, I directed Solo to go against the wind.
Its cool to watch the Solo landing head down-tail up stance trying to fight the wind.
During take off, I directed the Solo to take off with the wind at its tail, safer for me as the pier where I took off is only 4 meters wide. Kind of aircraft carrier take off into open ocean with wind force as small catapult :), but water is only 1.4 meters down.

Take off & Landing orientation.JPG

I am very impressed with Solo autopilot and its overall behaviour-stability during FLY / Loiter mode.
This is coming from a Newbie guys.

I was testing orbit just for fun. Standard orbit setting. I actually find Orbit has other useful use.
If I want to do horizon panning , Orbit can be used for that ... LOL.
See video 0:00 to 01:00, that is Orbit doing the panning.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Orbit start.JPG

I did not mute the audio, only lower down audio level, to hear motor sound on purpose.

I did RTH for the first time, but not to land it, to bring it home and see how fast it does.
It did 9.2 meter per second or 33KM/H or 20.49 MPH.
I am still on turtle setting, so my flight speed is only 5 meter per second max or 18 KM/H or 11.17 MPH at best.

The slow wooden boat I was chasing at 1:26 is about a 6knot speed usually or 11.11 KM/H or 6.9 MPH.
I have not set slider beyond slowest turtle, due to me afraid I may over re-act during landing...newbie fear :)

First time I flew at the islands 9-10th April, my landing real estate is never more than 4 x 4 meter wide sand patch and many small rocks, I fear a flip due to uneven surface. This island pier is 4 meter wide x 13 or so meter long but wood floor and chance to send Solo to watery grave.

If it weren't for the rain and wind, I planned to do long range test and max distance for 1st 100-60% battery, so I can come home with 60-20% battery and see how my new arrived FPVLR v2 10dbi antena works.

Sorry no complex new Smart Move I tested, wind & rain was not on my side.

End of newbie report.

Now for some data gathering.........

NOTE : No landing is using RTH, all MANUAL or FLY/Loiter.

I brought along my bad Elf GPS Pro+, but since it was windy and raining, I forgot to log the 4 corners of the pier to know its actual GPS position, because I want to overlay the pier photo on Google Earth.

Anyway I have always wanted to know, what is the the position drift of GPS only system in my region, without correctional assistance from SBAS Sats, when flying a Solo in good open sky.

During 1st flight, the GPS started to first log its birth place, 2 degree north of the equator and 145 degrees east, or above Papua New Guinea. Probably as part of the almanac process. Anyway in a short 1+ minutes, I get 12 sats lock.

I can't yet place the photo of the pier overlay with 100% accuracy, but its not bad.
Log8 is the first flight.

Log8 Actual Take Off zone.JPG
Log8 actual take off , means I ACTUALLY count the planks of the pier where I visually took off and make it ACTUAL take off position....LOL.

When GPS has warmed up during the flight, the landing accuracy gets better for Log8.

Log8 Actual Landing zone.JPG

Log8 is approx a 13 minutes flight.

Log5 is approx 5 minutes short flight
Log5 Landing & Take off accuracy.JPG
Log5 is where I get the most drift, at 2.4 meters approx

With all these I am a very happy man with 3DR Neo7 GPS Accuracy.
To be within <2.5 meters using only GPS ( USA GPS Constallation ), no assistance from SBAS correctional Sats, this is VERY good accuracy.

This area only has like a nite shot G-Earth :) or super low resolution.
Photo overlay in GE.JPG

End of Report.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela