Anyone else thinking about returning Solo?

At least in the last few weeks I've seen some people w/ Solo problems fixed rather quickly, that at least is a good sign 3DR is doing something good. So for those who are going to return, by all means it's your prerogative to do so... but I mean you've already gone this far.

Let's hope.

And I have never, EVER heard a single good thing about DJI customer support. One of the reasons I went with Solo.

Come to think of it, maybe DJI and 3DR could merge. 3DR does the product development, DJI handles manufacturing and distribution, 3DR handles all customer support. Now THAT would be something!

I'm beyond pissed off I to purchased their product to open new business opportunities and here I have lost the entire summer to create a promo to show new clients. Yes I think the solo is a great tool but without the gimbal I have nothing. I think 3dr took the approach with their customers that its on a need to know bases and we don't need to know. I will wait but there are other choices out there not DJI!!!
I agree. For the majority of real estate photography and event videos the Yuneec Q500 4K is perfectly acceptable IMO.

The launch has very obviously been a botched joke and yes I'm annoyed that my summers gone and I still have no gimbal. That said beside the gimbal what the hell are those saying solo isn't ready or acting like its inferior to anything near its price talking about. I'll keep waiting I have this long and I've got a back up, anybody doing work should at very least have another stabilized multi. I'm fairly new but I've at least been flying a lil over a year with a previous quad and still know I'm not ready to attempt to sell my services.

If folks believe they're going to succeed in business buying their solo and going straight to work without owning any multis before this, your dreaming. If this isnt the case, you obviously own another multi that you are using in business, right? Yes you may get decent video with solos help but not professional video by any means without practice. If you believed that part of the 3dr marketing sorry but it's not the case. So I doubt any serious business people were banking on solo as their only option unless they have very little experience with new tech.

Yea I'm annoyed and yea 3dr is to blame but I still stand by saying I'd rather wait for a great product, than have a half azz one that's already falling apart or doesn't do what it's meant to well. Every issue I've had beside the bs gimbal ordeal is perfect now either fixed by 3dr in an update or by me with a mod so I'll wait a bit longer to have a superior platform that's already being copied by the competition.

Then you must not be reading posts on this thread? Second or third post here the person tells how he had to give up 4 jobs because he doesn't have his Solo gimbal, and how the delay is costing him "work and credibility." No, booking clients without the tools in hand to do the job you've booked is what is costing you credibility. Trying to blame your poor business decisions on 3DR just doesn't work in my world. Again, booking clients on a new, untested product/tool is a presumptuous and foolish way to run a business. If you don't even have the ability to do aerial photography without the gimbal, and don't have a back up means to film what you've sold your client, then you have no business booking jobs. Quite simple.
Couldn't agree more.... And would add...because someone said they had jobs on the Internet... It MUST be true.

Bottom line... If they were counting on doing a "job" with an unreleased product they didn't have with no backup plan... I am sorry, they are an idiot.

Here is the thing, if you want to return why not just do that, why do you hang out here and see if you can find others to share your misery and hold your hand down the the return isle. If you dont want the thing send it back.

The launch has very obviously been a botched joke and yes I'm annoyed that my summers gone and I still have no gimbal. That said beside the gimbal what the hell are those saying solo isn't ready or acting like its inferior to anything near its price talking about. I'll keep waiting I have this long and I've got a back up, anybody doing work should at very least have another stabilized multi. I'm fairly new but I've at least been flying a lil over a year with a previous quad and still know I'm not ready to attempt to sell my services.

If folks believe they're going to succeed in business buying their solo and going straight to work without owning any multis before this, your dreaming. If this isnt the case, you obviously own another multi that you are using in business, right? Yes you may get decent video with solos help but not professional video by any means without practice. If you believed that part of the 3dr marketing sorry but it's not the case. So I doubt any serious business people were banking on solo as their only option unless they have very little experience with new tech.

Yea I'm annoyed and yea 3dr is to blame but I still stand by saying I'd rather wait for a great product, than have a half azz one that's already falling apart or doesn't do what it's meant to well. Every issue I've had beside the bs gimbal ordeal is perfect now either fixed by 3dr in an update or by me with a mod so I'll wait a bit longer to have a superior platform that's already being copied by the competition.

That's the part that's really killing me. So far I love how the Solo flies and the capabilities it has. In spite of a few bugs, it definitely isn't inferior to anything else on the market. Quite the opposite, in fact. So i have no doubt it will eventually perform. I just wish I knew, give or take a month, when that will be. And 3DR isn't communicating anything useful to us on that end.Someone else stated that they had expected to have the whole summer flying season to build a demo reel. I think that's a valid complaint. As far as a backup, my plan was to receive my Solo with gimbal, use it enough to verify that it met my expectations, and then buy a whole second setup. I just wasn't willing to go $6000 deep on something that I hadn't seen or flown. So my backup plan still awaits the gimbal shipment. And I have flown Phantom 1,2 and 3, as well as small Hubsan quads. Solo was my first purchase.

That's the part that's really killing me. So far I love how the Solo flies and the capabilities it has. In spite of a few bugs, it definitely isn't inferior to anything else on the market. Quite the opposite, in fact. So i have no doubt it will eventually perform. I just wish I knew, give or take a month, when that will be. And 3DR isn't communicating anything useful to us on that end.Someone else stated that they had expected to have the whole summer flying season to build a demo reel. I think that's a valid complaint. As far as a backup, my plan was to receive my Solo with gimbal, use it enough to verify that it met my expectations, and then buy a whole second setup. I just wasn't willing to go $6000 deep on something that I hadn't seen or flown. So my backup plan still awaits the gimbal shipment. And I have flown Phantom 1,2 and 3, as well as small Hubsan quads. Solo was my first purchase.

I wasn't meaning you, I've just seen this reasoning for months and yes a demo or other things certainly are being held back. I'm pissed too I want to fly and get some footage before it gets crumby. I just think it's hilarious how far folks are going with this. The lack of communication is complete bs couldn't agree more there.

Reactions: JonW
Here is the thing, if you want to return why not just do that, why do you hang out here and see if you can find others to share your misery and hold your hand down the the return isle. If you dont want the thing send it back.

You have completely misinterpreted my post. Several people, unlike you, actually gave constructive feedback by responding that they have received the gimbal and that they are happy enough that it was worth the wait. I thanked them for their responses and noted that I will hold out a while based on their recommendations. It's no different than looking through reviews on Amazon before making a purchase. Most of us have not received our gimbal, so we can only go by the opinions of those who have.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
People get invested in their thoughts and actions and need corroboration.... A VERY dangerous plan... People lose MILLIONS in the stock market doing this. The problem with the logic is that what ever your thoughts (in this case keeping or returning) there is always someone that has done it, and is happy... It is bad psychology. If you are looking for it, you will find it..

What gets me is people using the premise that the gimbal isn't here is the basis of the idea of returning a Solo. Either they were completely ignorant of what was going on when they ordered (the gimbal delay was announced in May), or they are just VERY impatient with an added 3 week delay. Given what 3DR saw with gimbal, and what they did, I am MUCH happier knowing they took the time and hit to do it right.

What also gets me is the people that returned, and then spend a lot of time here. That tells me they are second guessing....In any case, it is probably better those that are so impatient to consider sending it back at this point should just return it and cancel the gimbal order.

It could make my other gimbal come faster :)

Last edited:
Reactions: LouGeese and Jubalr
People get invested in their thoughts and actions and need corroboration.... A VERY dangerous plan... People lose MILLIONS in the stock market doing this. The problem with the logic is that what ever your thoughts (in this case keeeping or returning) there is someone that has done it, and is happy... If you are looking for it, you will find it..

What gets me is people using the premise that the gimbal isn't here is the basis of the idea of returning a Solo. Either they were completely ignorant of what was going on when they ordered (the gimbal delay was announced in May), or they are just VERY impatient with an added 3 week delay.
Given what 3DR saw withe gimbal, and what they did, I am MUCH happier knowing they took the time and hit to do it right.

What also gets me is the people that returned, and then spend a lot of time here. That tells me they are second guessing....In any case, it is probably better those that are so impatient to consider sending it back at this point should just return it and cancel the gimbal order.

It could make my other gimbal come faster :)
Good points everybody please return your solo and cancel your gimbals ASAP. At least until mine shows up then do what you will.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
LOL :) No.. but you do have a rich uncle in Nigeria

In fact I do. Currently I'm waiting on him to send me a check since I'm the only family he could find. He need my help and since I guess we're family I need to be there for him. All I have to do is deposit the check and send him 5k....its for his sick son. You know how the banks are in Nigeria.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
I actually disagree on the communication and don't agree counting on making a demo reel over the summer is a valid complaint. They could have announced the delay earlier I suppose, but my guess is they were deciding what to do. Keep in mind we are talking about production...in China.... and are dealing in weeks here...

They did however announce everything on their website and went into the reasoning in great detail. They have also updated the status including shipping announcement. The Solo was only available to order since late April, and the gimbal delay was announced in mid May. I wanted it as bad as the next guy, but wanting and counting on are two different things "Counting" on it being released and delivered for summer use is just a really bad plan.

If you need a demo reel, go make one. The people you would work for could care less if your footage was from a Solo, a Phantom or a Kite. What they care about is the results. If you want to make a reel, do it with whatever. Nobody is going to care that you use a Solo later to get the job done..

I personally can't see anyone doing any work without having at least one backup unit, not only in the bag, but onsite. Things go wrong, and making people wait that are paying you is a big no no. More so for film, because it isn't just your time as you are making a bunch of others wait, you lose light, etc..

Last edited:
I personally can't see anyone doing any work without having at least one backup unit, not only in the bag, but onsite. Things go wrong, and making people wait that are paying you is a big no no. More so for film, because it isn't just your time as you are making a bunch of others wait, you lose light, etc..

Anyone who is billing themselves as an aerial videographer absolutely should have backups of everything. In my case, at least initially it will be an add on service. I know many DPs who own only one drone. They can break it out and give the client a bonus shot. If it works, it works. If it doesn't it doesn't. Bottom line, they are still earning their day rate performing as a DP. Depending on the job I will still be earning my pay as a gaffer, key grip or photographer. The drone will just be another tool and service that I can provide. If I move in to full time dedicated aerial work you can be assured that I will have backups. My guess is that others here also will not have their whole business based on one Solo. Though I'm sure that is some people's plan. They will learn the hard way. Hopefully they aren't shooting unrepeatable events like weddings.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44