Anyone else thinking about returning Solo?

Reaction score
As much as I had hoped that Solo would be a game changer in the drone world and would be the perfect craft for my intended purposes, I am at the point where I am thinking about packing it all up and returning to B&H. Every 2 weeks for the last 2 months I have checked on the status of the gimbal, and every time it has been pushed back another 2 weeks. So here I am, 4 months after ordering, 2 months after having my solo delivered, and I'm still being told 3 weeks on the gimbal. And as cool and fun as Solo is to fly, it is still unusable for video without the gimbal. So I spent my money 4 months ago and still don't have the product that I need and paid for. It's just too much money to have tied up in something that is still incomplete. I would certainly consider re purchasing if and when 3DR gets their act together and can deliver a completed product. But that time is not now.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone else about to give up? Or are you all going to wait it out?

I'm on the fence.

As much as I had hoped that Solo would be a game changer in the drone world and would be the perfect craft for my intended purposes, I am at the point where I am thinking about packing it all up and returning to B&H. Every 2 weeks for the last 2 months I have checked on the status of the gimbal, and every time it has been pushed back another 2 weeks. So here I am, 4 months after ordering, 2 months after having my solo delivered, and I'm still being told 3 weeks on the gimbal. And as cool and fun as Solo is to fly, it is still unusable for video without the gimbal. So I spent my money 4 months ago and still don't have the product that I need and paid for. It's just too much money to have tied up in something that is still incomplete. I would certainly consider re purchasing if and when 3DR gets their act together and can deliver a completed product. But that time is not now.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone else about to give up? Or are you all going to wait it out?

I'm on the fence.

I ordered direct from 3DR and finally get my gimbal today... that said my solo is still in RMA, so who knows if its good for anything....Honestly its not what they sold anyone with their massive marketing push. I know some people will love it and defend it to their grave. But to me it is a tool, if it works im happy to give it praise but if it doesn't, then how can you continue to use it. Personally i dont feel like solo will make it long term. There is going to have to be some major changes to make it viable.
Solo 2 yeah thats probably one to buy if they can carry enough investors and users that long.
Lots have gone to other brands and wont look back.

I'm on the fence.

why not wait? its not like the gimbal came out with the solo. when you purchased it , the gimbal was to come later on. now that the first waves of shipments are coming , its better off to just wait it out

I know how you feel JonW. I haven't flown the Solo in weeks. It sits in its new case waiting for the gimbal while I fly my P3P. I've considered taking it back, but now that the gimbal is hopefully weeks away (for those of us who didn't preorder because BB wouldn't allow us to), I'm going to wait it out.

I am considering returning if I do not receive the gimbal in two weeks. He also took three months waiting and I have already lost at least 4 jobs where I had to use the drone. I was never impatient, but it is very unpleasant and little seriousness of the company to give non specific dates and excuse all the time. When you start losing money and credibility work because of third, patience is running out fast.

why not wait? its not like the gimbal came out with the solo. when you purchased it , the gimbal was to come later on. now that the first waves of shipments are coming , its better off to just wait it out
I don't think they announced the gimbal delay until June, did they? Unless I missed something. I know at NAB they were saying that the complete package would ship in late May. When i ordered i thought that they were still saying one release date for Solo and gimbal. Anyway, here we all are going into September. I really am on the fence though. I would hate to send it all back and then see all you guys get your gimbals the next week.

Umm it was slated to come out at the same time... that changed

Reactions: GoodnNuff
They were to be released together, then it was a short delay of a few weeks, not here we are months later getting a partially functional gimbal that still doesn't have all of the capabilities we were amazed with last spring.

And I just can't understand people who are complaining of losing business because they don't have the gimbal yet.
If someone has based a business on a new untested product that hasn't even been released, made promises to clients when they don't have the equipment in hand to fulfill those promises should have their business suffer IMO. That sounds mean, but man, if I would have hired someone who has to cancel at the last minute because they lack the equipment to do their job, I would be pretty vocal with my displeasure on social media outlets.

Reactions: artamanji
I ordered direct from 3DR and finally get my gimbal today... that said my solo is still in RMA, so who knows if its good for anything....Honestly its not what they sold anyone with their massive marketing push. I know some people will love it and defend it to their grave. But to me it is a tool, if it works im happy to give it praise but if it doesn't, then how can you continue to use it. Personally i dont feel like solo will make it long term. There is going to have to be some major changes to make it viable.
Solo 2 yeah thats probably one to buy if they can carry enough investors and users that long.
Lots have gone to other brands and wont look back.
I feel the same way ChrisM. It's a tool. And right now it's like a circular saw without a blade. It does amaze me how some people are like you said "defending it to the grave" with no apparent concern that they still haven't been given, and don't know when they will b given the full product. Personally, I need a solution to use as a tool. I have no brand loyalty in this area, i just need a tool that works to get the job done, sooner rather than later. I also wonder about the future of 3DR. This product launch seems like it could lead to the demise of the brand. You might be right about Solo 2. But will 3DR have the balls to show up at NAB 2016? I guess that fenced-in enclosure they had could be used to protect themselves from an angry mob of Solo 1 purchasers :)

If someone has based a business on a new untested product that hasn't even been released, made promises to clients when they don't have the equipment in hand to fulfill those promises should have their business suffer IMO. That sounds mean, but man, if I would have hired someone who has to cancel at the last minute because they lack the equipment to do their job, I would be pretty vocal with my displeasure on social media outlets.
Yo do realize that what you are saying here is EXACTLY what 3DR did to all of us, right?

Yo do realize that what you are saying here is EXACTLY what 3DR did to all of us, right?
No, this is not what 3DR did to us. They did not book themselves to film my wedding, then call a week before, or 3 days before to tell me their gimbal wasn't here and they couldn't fulfill their business promise to me, my bride and our families.

I'm not defending what 3DR did, or their failed launch. But your analogy doesn't work here, that is what I'm pointing out.

If someone (3DR) has based a business on a new untested product (SOLO) that hasn't even been released, made promises to clients (NAB demos, promise of late May delivery) when they don't have the equipment in hand to fulfill those promises (repeated production delays, gimbal didn't even start production until 81 days after it was supposed to ship) should have their business suffer IMO. That sounds mean, but man, if I would have hired someone (3DR) who has to cancel at the last minute (delivery date pushed back at least 8 times to 114 days behind schedule) because they lack the equipment to do their job (gimbal still not delivered 4 1/2 months after taking orders), I would be pretty vocal with my displeasure on social media outlets. (Which is why many people here are being vocal on this, and other social media outlets)

I don't think I have seen anyone posting that they booked jobs for their solo. Just people who expected that they would have it in a timely fashion to be able to book work with it.

Reactions: jirvin1120
Just got off the phone with 3DR yet more delays. I was told over a week ago that the gimbal would be delivered. Here we are yet again. Same story not shipped. I am being to think this gimbal is not even real. Card has been charged and nothing. Time to force a facebook, twitter, instagram campaign to demand answers.

I didn't realize so many here have apparently received their 333 Exemption from the FAA so that they can charge a fee for their services.
Many, many people are working for hire without the 333 exemption. Everyone knows that the new FAA rules are coming down the line and are hoping that they can just get away with it until that happens. I think there is just way too much commercial work at this point for the FAA to even police it. Part of the problem with the 333 exemption is that you need to actually be a licensed pilot, or hire a licensed pilot for all flights. And I'm not talking quadcopter pilot. I mean a real aircraft pilot.

I do think it is time for 3Dr to offer more frequent and honest updates on progress. Seems like a lot more people should have Gimbals that are actually reporting. and yes I am a die hard fanboy

Reactions: JonW
I received my Gimbal last Monday. Here are my thoughts. I am extremely aggravated with the way 3dr has handled this launch. Between the underestimated demand, the multiple missed ship dates, and the fact that not everything promised has been delivered (flight simulator) I think they were trying to be a big player in the market before they actually were.

With that said, the Gimbal is awesome!!! It is exactly what I expected of it. The smart shots do what you would think they would do. Orbit is the best, Trying orbit with a phantom you can see how it can take years of practice to get the right stick movement to keep that object in the center of the frame. It is so simple with solo it is unreal.

So, do people have a right to be Mad? YES!!!!!! But, returning it at this point will not effect 3DR, it will only effect you. With that said, anyone who is feed up and returns it, I would understand.

Reactions: Normy norm and JonW

I'm on the fence.

As far as I know, B&H policy is they don't charge your card, until item ships.

As to Gimbal, If anyone else had the Gimbal for sale right now, i would tell B&G to cancel order.

As to Solo, If there was anything better out there offering better, i would be interested. that said, Company would have to match 3DR warranties and been in the business for a good while.

I think your experiencing the same feeling like we all our, we all want to take GREAT video and can't due to the gimbal not being available.

Well, it's now available, just takes a little more time.
If you like the Solo, like i know you do, Give it a little while longer...

Last edited:
I think there should be a "RANTS AND RAVES" section to give people that just want to vent a place to go or be put...... There seems to be a few who just want to complain, not get answers or help. Makes me wonder just what there motivation is or if they even own one. Basically just unhappy people I guess. Don't get mad at them, their whole life may be that way.... but lets find them a place to snivel together so we can keep the forums constructive.

Oh I forgot, I'll wait it out. Knew what I was doing when I ordered. I'm willing to take responsibility for it. Am disappointed I did not have it for a few events. Still hopeful I will have it in a few weeks for my next trip but not planing on it. I will plan things for it once its installed and working, but not before!

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela