Anyone else thinking about returning Solo?

Well I hear all of you and yes it's ridiculous to have our hard earned $$ tied up for so long. My biggest gripe with the SOLO is you CANNOT USE IT FROM A BOAT OR ANY MOVING PLATFORM. It will not intialize. Their slick ads show boat shots but it has NO DYNAMIC HOME POINT. It must be still and level to calibrate for intializing. Manual mode requires this as well. A bit of false advertising! None of my DJI products have that issue. I was hoping that I had the best tools for the jobs we get and eventually to just have the SOLO do it all. Not the case right now.

3DR announced they are coming out with a software update that will allow that :)

As much as I had hoped that Solo would be a game changer in the drone world and would be the perfect craft for my intended purposes, I am at the point where I am thinking about packing it all up and returning to B&H. Every 2 weeks for the last 2 months I have checked on the status of the gimbal, and every time it has been pushed back another 2 weeks. So here I am, 4 months after ordering, 2 months after having my solo delivered, and I'm still being told 3 weeks on the gimbal. And as cool and fun as Solo is to fly, it is still unusable for video without the gimbal. So I spent my money 4 months ago and still don't have the product that I need and paid for. It's just too much money to have tied up in something that is still incomplete. I would certainly consider re purchasing if and when 3DR gets their act together and can deliver a completed product. But that time is not now.

Thoughts anyone? Anyone else about to give up? Or are you all going to wait it out?

I'm on the fence.
ME TOO WAITING FOR IT SO I CAN MAKE SOME MONEY TO PAY OFF DRONE

Omen Brotha, good things come to those that wait I got mine a week ago now and I couldn’t be happier!

Look I’ve owned just about every thing that DJI has ever made... starting with the first gen Phantom and still own some of them.

That said they are great machines but the Solo is just awesome, and the engineering is bar none!

Come on think about it; its modular design and forward thinking for expandability.... it’s the only form factor that makes sense. Best of all 3DR is the pioneer; and I’m very happy to own a piece of history!

There is a constant barrage against us all of the Drone world, by people and the FAA that are trying hard to make this hobby into a dystopia.

Also with the increase of morons flying illegally into commercial jetliner traffic patterns it’s a fight to keep the bad taste of negative press from your mouth, and just enjoy what we all apparently like to do!

Lets just stop wining; your either with the group or not because that is what a Forum is all about ,“Solidarity” not division and pity-parties; if you don’t like it sell your crap and get out so we can all get back to talking about and helping one another with this great hobby!
I agree a 1 million %. !!!!!!!

I try really hard not to jump into these threads/vent sessions, but while I agree with your statement in general, there are already other threads in other forums that are perfect areas to complain about all the issues and delays.

It's one thing to voice issues with the product and carry out constructive discourse while looking for practical solutions. It's another to turn it into a massive vent session. The drama that ensues in some threads for Solo is no more relevant than the "marketing" that we were so "shamelessly fed".

I don't need a forum to tell me if I need to return a product. If it doesn't suit my needs, and the manufacturer or retailer allows it, take it back and move on.

It's not being a "fan-boi" when you don't need to hear the same reasons repeated to you over 2 months on multiple forums on why you shouldn't like using the product that you own and know you like especially when there is a very easy way to rectify the situation if you actually don't like the product.

Other "owner's" threads on other forums have become so rediculous, I don't even go on anymore. It's impossible to find useful information there even though I know some very smart/experienced contributors do post. People looking for online entertainment to watch people sling insults can keep their negativity there.

This site so far has been generally very reasonable. As a moderator, please keep this place useful for owners who are trying to work with the product. No disrespect intended. Thanks.
Agree 100%

Reactions: AKPhantom
Truth is that 3DR And DJI both make amazing products, and we are all privileged to be in a time where we can enjoy them. The argument between the two is ridiculous, and a true drone lover would want to fly ALL of them (I know I do). [Edit] Issues are normal for all brands and for the most part people are happy with the variety. As a collective whole we should ALL want all or as many of these brands possible to succeed and continue to prefect and develop new, more advanced products.

Last edited:
Truth is that 3DR And DJI both make amazing products, and we are all privileged to be in a time where we can enjoy them. The argument between the two is ridiculous, and a true drone lover would want to fly ALL of them (I know I do) and anyone arguing online about which is better, are folks who have not a single clue what they are talking about and don't deserve to even be part of the hobby
So true! I don't have the gimbal yet but I still enjoy flying the Solo, its incredible. I missed having the gimbal on a trip I took early August, but no one ever *promised* me a gimbal. Easy to hate on 3DR. My sense is that they want to do good, and I appreciate that they held back on delivering a poor gimbal. Imagine the shit storm they would be facing had they done that. Their only crime was in under delivering and over promising.

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Truth is that 3DR And DJI both make amazing products, and we are all privileged to be in a time where we can enjoy them. The argument between the two is ridiculous, and a true drone lover would want to fly ALL of them (I know I do). [Edit] Issues are normal for all brands and for the most part people are happy with the variety. As a collective whole we should ALL want all or as many of these brands possible to succeed and continue to prefect and develop new, more advanced products.
Well said...

Reactions: AKPhantom

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela