Any Black Magic Gurus out there

Reaction score
No not spells I am talking cameras

I like planning things well in advance. Plus its a great cover for my procrastination.
At anypoint. My X8 heavy lifter is almost done. So now I am trying cram the most camera on to that thing as I can.
Not much of Black Magic fan but they honestly seem to make the hardware that is fitting my criteria better.

So right now they offer the Micro Cinema Camera for right at a grand
it weighs in at 11 ounces without a lens and battery.
Is set to work with PWM on RC craft
has output to stream video
Stores video on SD cards onboard

Sounds great right?
No 4K

They also offer a studio version of this camera that will shoot 4K the Micro Studio Camera
It also weighs in at 11 Ounces without a lens and Battery
But does not store on board you have to use a recorder
Is not optimized for PWM
Does have HDMI out

My quesiton for your gurus, is there a super lightweigh recorder you could add to the studio camera to overcome the storage issue without weighing the craft down so much it would not fly?

Or would it be better to wait on the next lineup.
seems to me if they added 4K to the Micro Cinema Camera you would be good to go.

No not spells I am talking cameras

I like planning things well in advance. Plus its a great cover for my procrastination.
At anypoint. My X8 heavy lifter is almost done. So now I am trying cram the most camera on to that thing as I can.
Not much of Black Magic fan but they honestly seem to make the hardware that is fitting my criteria better.

So right now they offer the Micro Cinema Camera for right at a grand
it weighs in at 11 ounces without a lens and battery.
Is set to work with PWM on RC craft
has output to stream video
Stores video on SD cards onboard

Sounds great right?
No 4K

They also offer a studio version of this camera that will shoot 4K the Micro Studio Camera
It also weighs in at 11 Ounces without a lens and Battery
But does not store on board you have to use a recorder
Is not optimized for PWM
Does have HDMI out

My quesiton for your gurus, is there a super lightweigh recorder you could add to the studio camera to overcome the storage issue without weighing the craft down so much it would not fly?

Or would it be better to wait on the next lineup.
seems to me if they added 4K to the Micro Cinema Camera you would be good to go.
atomos or sound devices(/video devices) make the most widely used recorders, i guess youd need to specify your desired weight range... but what about using the Z camera E1 ?

but it exists, price is good, and 60Mbps is nothing to sneeze at...its broadcast quality

half the price of BMMicrostudio4K, smaller footprint, lighter, and built in recording ability...seems like a no brainer....could buy 4 Zcameras for the price of 1 BM +external recorder

Last edited:
I am on their facebook group and was a big fan.
but started reading reviews on it and got cold.

Had they come out with a reasonoble gimbal comob I might still have jumped on it.
That Black Magic is aerial ready, you can even zoom and focus from a transmitter
Z1 cannot do that.

If someone had me in a corner right now I would most likely go the 1080p version of the BM

I know E camera was working on another one too but never heard any details

I hear ya and agree it would be sweet...guess im thinking more on the light and cheap...for now....6 years ago i was sourcing and mentally building a $12k oktokopter to fly a dslr with external motor zoom/focus,, was very limited by video transmitters back then....thank god i aborted mission on that

Your x8 should be fun

Well many would still consider my quest a little nutty
but that is OK
I turned Nutty into a great career

I really do think we are very close to a breakthrough on a camera for UAVs. that 4K mini at 11 ounces is damn close. Esp if I could find a recorder that is light weight and big enough to store 30 minutes of video
And I am planning way ahead
My airframe and new FC will not be completely done until end of October
then I want to fly the crap out of it before I strap an expensive camera on it.

So all this research will hit a decision point at about Christmas
I have been good this year, who knows

Reactions: jibcamera
atomos or sound devices(/video devices) make the most widely used recorders, i guess youd need to specify your desired weight range... but what about using the Z camera E1 ?
It would be perfect if only it had sbus or pwm inputs.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am on their facebook group and was a big fan.
but started reading reviews on it and got cold.

Had they come out with a reasonoble gimbal comob I might still have jumped on it.
That Black Magic is aerial ready, you can even zoom and focus from a transmitter
Z1 cannot do that.

If someone had me in a corner right now I would most likely go the 1080p version of the BM

I know E camera was working on another one too but never heard any details

I'm in the same boat with my custom quad. Was thinking of the bmmcc but like you decided no due to 4k lacking. Was toying with the idea of a Sony A6300 for 4k, which you can then add 3rd party controllers (i have one for my A5100 - does focus and shutter). Most likely will just use the A5100 till i have a customer who needs 4k.

Chris

I'm in the same boat with my custom quad. Was thinking of the bmmcc but like you decided no due to 4k lacking. Was toying with the idea of a Sony A6300 for 4k, which you can then add 3rd party controllers (i have one for my A5100 - does focus and shutter). Most likely will just use the A5100 till i have a customer who needs 4k.

Chris

I agree, looked at some sort of lightweigt 4K recording device to fly on board but it just does not exist
so I am thinking grabe the mini cinema at 1080P

Oh i know the bmmc has it, my comment was about the other camera he suggested.

I'll most likely get the bmmc. Most production ppl dont really want 4k yet, they'd prefer better quality 1080p (think cinema dng or high bitrate codec, in focus, framed correctly, stabilized, right shutter speed, right aperture, right iso). 4k just slows them down, unless your talking cinema then yes 4k is desired. In another 2 years I'd say 4k will be the norm as more UHD TV's are sold, content will be needed.

Currently ppl seem to use 4k to give better stabilized 1080p footage.

Man that micro cinema is nice. With the ability to shoot raw and record onboard makes it a deal. It's tempting to look at the 4K model but you will spend another $1k+ to add onboard recording (not to mention the added weight).
Speaking of weight, what lens(es) are you all looking at?

I'm in the same quest...
The black magic micro STUDIO camera is actually not a great option.
Limited dynamic range and no so good in low light. It is really meant to be used in a well lit studio to deliver 4K broadcast (TV) quality. If you want a nicer picture in cinematic quality with wonderful colors and the benifits of log or RAW schooting, the micro CINEMA camera is the beter option. Yes, 4K would be nice, but low dynamic range 4k is not as beautiful as high dynamic range 1080p. Your needs might be different of course. But to me, I prefer good HD to a little less 4K.

Man that micro cinema is nice. With the ability to shoot raw and record onboard makes it a deal. It's tempting to look at the 4K model but you will spend another $1k+ to add onboard recording (not to mention the added weight).
Speaking of weight, what lens(es) are you all looking at?

I've been thinking about that, I'd most likely want a prime or two (to keep it light) and maybe one zoom lens to get those trickier shots that just dont fit with the prime glass you have, or if you need to switch in between shots but stay in the air. Now which primes and which zoom lens that is the question. Sadly it will require gimbal balancing each lens change. I think it comes down to what style of work you are doing (wide sweeping landscape or more general scene shots, or operating closer in with specific people / wildlife).

Lucky being MFT there is a wide range to choose from. Sadly for me it'll be all new glass for it as I use mainly Sony E-mount gear at present so I won't be spending up big. I'd bear in mind that our machines are not foolproof and do sometimes fail so I'd avoid putting too much expensive glass up there. Often the reason you pay the extra for the higher end cinema lens wont be of major benefit here as you wont be able to control the environment as well as you can on the ground.

It just has to do a better job that a Sony A5100 with stock lens for me to be happy. Not far off testing out the A5100 on my custom rig, just need to build up a few more crash free hours to be happy (wont put it on till I have 5 hours without incident - at about 1 hour at present).

I'm open to suggestions / recommendations for lenses.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
I'm in the same quest...
The black magic micro STUDIO camera is actually not a great option.
Limited dynamic range and no so good in low light. It is really meant to be used in a well lit studio to deliver 4K broadcast (TV) quality. If you want a nicer picture in cinematic quality with wonderful colors and the benifits of log or RAW schooting, the micro CINEMA camera is the beter option. Yes, 4K would be nice, but low dynamic range 4k is not as beautiful as high dynamic range 1080p. Your needs might be different of course. But to me, I prefer good HD to a little less 4K.

Hi Joris,

I'd agree, it seems that TV stations are still happy with 1080p and they dislike 4k as it takes so much longer to process, when they are just going to render it at 1080p anyway. Also better to give them more detail they can work with to make the shot look good (so agree on the dynamic range comment). Thats what I understand the industry to be doing, does anyone else agree or disagree with that? I'm just curious as my info is from a mate who does the processing side at a production company, but always good to get a few peoples views.

Chris

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl