Any ACRO mode flyers out here want to share your experience?

Reaction score
I've been flying ACRO MODE for a couple of weeks now.
I have a stock cube solo and running Solex and latest OpenSolo on the bird.
I have the camera and gimbal removed for these experimental flights.

Compared to other multirotors that I fly including an old slow 450 size flamewheel clone frame with slow motors (1000kv) and big slow fly props and a 2200mah 3S battery with an APM 2.5 board and
Latest Arducopter that will run on that old hardware.

The throttle control response is delayed.
It does not go immediately from min throttle to max or from max to min "instantly" there is a very noticeable spoolup delay in there.
It's very flyable but not optimal for acrobatic or "fighting" gusty wind.
Adjusting the sliders in Solex do not fix this.
I'd like if in acro mode if it could have a much more direct response to throttle input like I am used to having in acro mode.
I realize the Solo is not built for this purpose (neither was my AMP2.5 flamewheel) LOL.
I also wonder if it's due to this 3.3V slew rate limit (issue or not)
Linked here: ---> 3.3V ESC PWM vs 5V PWM How much am I really missing out on?

If there is an easy way to make this control faster and more direct without killing the Solo or causing desync/failures I'm certainly interested!

I've also been trying out the Maser Airscrew 3 bladed props in this mode with the camera and gimbal weight gone.

Thanks!

I'm also really enjoying the better flight times with the camera and Gimbal off :)
Still on the old original 2015 batteries. Not a whole lot of flights on them..
Maybe only 15 or so each now.
And I bring 'em in with more than 30% remaining usually.

Well it's a few things.
  • The slew rate limiter for protection again the ESC problem. You can always load the green cube parameters to disable that and try it out at your own risk.
  • The prop and motor combination is not acrobatic in nature. Even without the slew rate, those motors can and props can only change RPM so fast.
  • The tri-blade props will probably perform better for acrobatic flight with or without the slew rate.

Reactions: pilchards
Thanks for the reply.
I experienced some of the stock system's limitations yesterday.
Not even in Acro mode.

Was doing a high speed decent in Stabilize mode (altitude hold off).
It comes down very fast and can climb really fast in this mode (bit too much demand on stock battery) cell voltages dropped below 3.3V on punchout almost fully charged.

Anyhow on full straight down decent it tumbled!
Got control back by simply relaxing the sticks and giving a little throttle input.
But it was a bit scary and I thought something failed on it.
Had plenty of altitude to recover and I was pushing it to it's limits.

Anyhow on full straight down decent it tumbled!
Got control back by simply relaxing the sticks and giving a little throttle input.
But it was a bit scary and I thought something failed on it.
Had plenty of altitude to recover and I was pushing it to it's limits.

In stabilize mode, cutting the throttle all the way down brings the motors to ground idle. There is no stabilization.

I see that. :)

I may consider turning on air mode for these types of high speed drops if it applies.

I think I need to mess with air mode.
That would allow fast controlled fast descents.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela