Sport mode: explain some things for me

Reaction score
I have no intention at all in trying this or the other skilled modes right now, but I am curious as to how it behaves since the manual wasn't as descriptive as I would have liked.

How does sport mode include altitude assistance exactly, when there is still full control (no automatic help) for pitch and yaw? For example, how can it automatically maintain altitude (or provide altitude assistance, rather) if I'm flipping it sideways etc.?

What happens if it's in midair, and I release all controls, assuming zero wind? It does not level off but maintains altitude? Doesn't make sense to me. In that case it would zoom in the direction it's still tipped, just to maintain altitude.

From the manual:

Sport mode in a modified version of Acro that includes altitude assistance and earth-frame orientation. With altitude assistance, the throttle stick behaves the same in Sport as it does in standard flight (Fly mode). Earth-frame orientation differs from copter-frame orientation in that the direction of yaw rotation is in relation to the earth instead of in relation to the copter itself. For example, if Solo is pitched forward in Sport mode and left yaw is applied, Solo maintains the same pitch angle and rotate around the vertical axis. This differs from Acro’s copter-frame orientation, in which, in the same situation, Solo performs a cartwheel. Sport does not require GPS lock.

Last edited:
It's hard to explain, but is much simpler than it sounds. Put simply, it will behave just like it does in Fly Manual except it will not auto level itself. Applying a little bit of left roll stick will make it slowly roll to the left. When you let go of the stick, it will hold whatever angle you left it at. If you want to bring it back to level, you need to apply some right roll stick and level it yourself. The yaw stick will make it rotate left and right just like it does in Fly or manual. It will rotate left or right in relation to the ground regardless of what angle it's leaning at.

So, it is fairly safe to play with. Just be slow and gentle with the sticks. And hit fly if you get overwhelmed.

is the like alt hold in ardu?
the only issue I have found flying some of the more advanced modes is to make sure you understand how each mode effects throttle. cant remember what mode I switched into but barely moving throttle down and my copter dropped like a rock

Applying a little bit of left roll stick will make it slowly roll to the left. When you let go of the stick, it will hold whatever angle you left it at. If you want to bring it back to level, you need to apply some right roll stick and level it yourself.

Thank you for the explanation. So if you don't level it yourself, if when it is tipped you release all controls, will it automatically apply throttle and zoom in the direction it's tipped, in order to automatically maintain altitude?

Sport mode and acro mode on the solo is sport mode and acro mode in Arducopter. Fly Manual on the solo is Alt Hold in Arducopter.

Thank you for the explanation. So if you don't level it yourself, if when it is tipped you release all controls, will it automatically apply throttle and zoom in the direction it's tipped, in order to automatically maintain altitude?

Yes. Obviously that depends on how much you tilt it. If you have it pitched over to it's limit (40 degrees I think), it will be moving like a rocket.

So my drone will cut all the power to what it seems just two motors and fall down from the sky ))
That happens when I put throttle stick all the way down. I swear it almost did a barrel roll in the air and then autocorrcted its orientation (not in this video).

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I don't believe it is cutting power to those motors. Did you try compensating with left stick? Sport mode is designed to hold a given angle. Try flying it after putting it in sport mode, it looks like the lean may have spooked you right back to Fly mode?

Reactions: Solo Keith
I don't believe it is cutting power to those motors. Did you try compensating with left stick? Sport mode is designed to hold a given angle. Try flying it after putting it in sport mode, it looks like the lean may have spooked you right back to Fly mode?
I have my solo just about a year now and still flying half speed in fly mode tried full speed a few times never tried sport mode think that lean would have spooked me back to fly mode too lol

No, the Solo was in Sport mode all the time. After dropping down like a rock, it autolevels itself after I release throttle (being held down). It only happens if I quickly pull it down. It descreases altitude as intended when I gently pull it down.
I also tried banking right and pulling throttle all the way down. It almost did a barrel roll, plummeted to the ground, leveled itself couple feet before the ground but hit the ground and flew right back up.
I will make a better video when it's not so cold out!

The weather was nice, so I've tried again today..

Jubalr, Here is the video of what I'm talking about. 3DR is in Sport mode, turtle (slowest speed setting). You can hear some motors stop spinning as I abruptly pull throttle stick all the way down. After some free fall, I give it some throttle, and 3DR auto levels itself. I do have button B set to Fly mode, just in case it gets out of hand.
Please share your thoughts.
P.S. Notice new orange props )

You're going to need to post more than that snipped of video. That doesn't tell us anything. Post at least a minute before and after. A dataflash log would help too.

Reactions: maxim129b
Here is longer video. I can try to get dataflash log tomorrow as I know nothing about them. This is not an issue in other Fly Modes, and not really a problem as it's kind of fun.

I'm curious what the Log will say, but it looks like to my untrained eye that at full-stick down in Sport mode the motors slow so much that they don't provide enough thrust to stabilize the aircraft. Remember, the heavy stuff is on the top of the copter (battery), so I'm not really surprised she rolls over on the way down.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I won't be able to look until tomorrow evening. But i can tell you that craziness is not supposed to happen!

One parameter you can check is MOT_SPIN_MIN. This parameter defines the minimum motor RPM (in %) that the Pixhawk will command in flight. Normal value is about 0.15 (15%).

Hey Pedals - Been reading alot about "SPORT" Mode - (3) QUESTIONS ON PROCEDURES : 1.) Where do I find the various speeds for SOLO? 2.) When does one "SELECT"? 3.) How does one "SELECT"? NOTE: been flying SOLO (out of the box) manually & smart shots using 3dr's app & downloaded "TOWER" onto my tablet & have flown several "SURVEYS". May not be ready ; but would like to know !

Please read the instructions. Setting speeds and selecting modes is a basic function of the app explained in the instructions and training videos.

Reactions: maxim129b

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc