3DRsolo is it worth it???

Well i have no idea if il use the follow mode i dont see any benefit of it yet unless i ski or snowboard or whatever

Can you show me some upgrades (in case i decide to upgrade the drone or pieces or anything?)
GPS
Optical flow
Sonar
Object recognition
Motor
Video transmission
Weight reduction (replacing the shell)

The first four address the faults and uncover the hidden features, the motor will improve the stability, the video will improve the range and the last will improve flight time.

it said it would work on the site........

And i see now it doesnt
so im either going to trash the junk or sell it because its a waste of money now........

Because im sure the gopro hero 4+ silver wont work either will it?
Any of the hero 4's work. I have the hero4+ on mine and it works fine.

Works just as advertised but with:
Hero 4 silver/black
mRo. m8N
FPVLR
Polar pro ND

So this obsticle avoidence like phantom 4 n mavic???

When you say sonar i picture 3d mapping of the ground

I just bought my second Solo
US$530 in my country.
Solo with gimbal and free props ( 2 set ). That is as good as it can get.
I like Solo a lot, so a back up one I need.

I have P2, P3, P4 and Typhoon H already. Mavic and Karma on order.
P3 and Typhoon I have not flown yet....LOL.

Anyway P4 no matter how slow I tune the control down, it can't match the slowness of Solo turtle mode.
Since I use the drone for movie/video, the slow-ness is what I need and is what I like about Solo, aside from its cinematic quality smart shots in the capable hands.

I am not a pro user by any means, not even a seasoned user...me is Mr Experiment :)

The Typhoon H, I am hoping it could prevent stupid me from crashing into subject when doing
side chase. Side chase is how I explain a drone moving to zero north but camera is aiming to 270 or 90 degrees. My finger & brain cordination due to lack of flight hours aka skill , cannot sustain this kind of shot too long if the subject I chase is my friend's boat doing 25 knots ( 28.7 mph or 46 KM/H ) and he made a slight course adjustment. Typhoon H can spin its camera 360 degrees u see, so heading can be maintained as zero, while camera do the 90 or 270 degrees. If I fly the Solo or P4, me need to use the flight direction control instead of the camera to aim 90/270 degrees...ha ha ha, this is where I screwed up after a while when the boat is no more doing straight line move.

Since I do video for fun, none of the footage are pre-planned, so its all impromptu and its tougher to do for my low skill level.

Solo in its fastest mode and I never even bother Acrobat mode, is agile and fast...but I don't need that.
Me can't chase my friend's boat if he goes full throttle at 39 knots anyway.

I practice at sea because it is a flat terrain, no obstruction, almost zero wifi inteference and if Solo fell, it won't hit anyone as it will sink ... LOL.

I like Solo , it is a smooth video tool.

Sonar for object avoidance and landing.
Object recognition for OA and for surveillance or tape and fly feature.

P4 uses a customized computer vision algorithm in quad firmware, I believe solo radio can share some tasks and free the quad for other tasks.

Can i do 3d images / mapping at all???
Depending it is for business or not.

For business, gopro is not the choice. The stock Solo doesn't have the payload capacity to lift the lidar nor the flight time required for the 3d survey. Also quad is not the ideal vehicle to host all the expensive gear. Would you trust a 500 quad for 100,000 equipment.

For non business, depending on which SFM package you are using, you may get by with the Gopro but I wouldn't count on it to get decent 3d without a lot of tweakings.

Definitely worth it if you have a GP4 - you can't beat smart shots and key frames.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I agree...the Solo is very intuitive for creative control. But...I can't help but think someone will come out with an upgraded app for DJI products (Litchi for example), that will expressly include "smart shots" and keyframes, that are as easy to fly as the Solo.

--

Bill

Smart shot is just programming tricks; a combination of waypoints and gimbal control. It has been duplicated by other drone developers.

Yeah - let's not down play smart shots - I agree it's a combination of waypoints and gimbal control - but as of now solo is the only drone that can do that - like I said before if you replace the GPS to M8N from mRo - you will have in believable stability, and reliability with your GPS lock - even rivals DJI.
As far as range problem can be solved by installing FPVLR antenna.

Here's a challenge - pick any cinematic aerial move from any movie - almost guarantee. A solo pilot can achieve the shot by himself with 3DR solo - other drones will require 2 pilots to achieve.

Case in point
Watch these two vides it shows cinematic moves that are hard to do with a single pilot

Smart shot is just programming tricks; a combination of waypoints and gimbal control. It has been duplicated by other drone developers.
Not.
Solo is the only drone with a separate processor on board to handle things. It's far more than a software-only issue.

Reactions: Jubalr
Yeah - let's not down play smart shots - I agree it's a combination of waypoints and gimbal control - but as of now solo is the only drone that can do that - like I said before if you replace the GPS to M8N from mRo - you will have in believable stability, and reliability with your GPS lock - even rivals DJI.
As far as range problem can be solved by installing FPVLR antenna.

Here's a challenge - pick any cinematic aerial move from any movie - almost guarantee. A solo pilot can achieve the shot by himself with 3DR solo - other drones will require 2 pilots to achieve.
Im going to need some help understanding all that im unsure whats in it and whats not and all that

As far as 3d mapping n stuff i ment with an app or something because dji has an app for 3d mapping and stuff (i think it was exclusive to dji)

Not.
Solo is the only drone with a separate processor on board to handle things. It's far more than a software-only issue.

Maybe explain better this way to newbie :

Other drones, has its own brain for gimbal and drone flying control. Both brains separated.
Solo gimbal and its processor for flying is a combined brain.
In a separate brain for gimbal, gimbal re-act to fly control movement and there is bound to be a delay and predictive algorithm.

In Solo, since the gimbal is processsed along with flight controller, its like the flight controlller able to tell the gimbal :
"Hey Gimbal, look I will excecute A + B + C movements, I will feed you information to act accordingly at the right time" :)

A separate gimbal with its own brain is good for production, it can go anywhere or different models of drone from same OEM.

Solo gimbal is tuned to Solo weight, flight charateristic and yada yada and can not be placed on any other craft. So it is kinda expensive to make , but for the intended result, I think there is no better way.

Maybe explain better this way to newbie :

Other drones, has its own brain for gimbal and drone flying control. Both brains separated.
Solo gimbal and its processor for flying is a combined brain.
In a separate brain for gimbal, gimbal re-act to fly control movement and there is bound to be a delay and predictive algorithm.

In Solo, since the gimbal is processsed along with flight controller, its like the flight controlller able to tell the gimbal :
"Hey Gimbal, look I will excecute A + B + C movements, I will feed you information to act accordingly at the right time" :)

A separate gimbal with its own brain is good for production, it can go anywhere or different models of drone from same OEM.

Solo gimbal is tuned to Solo weight, flight charateristic and yada yada and can not be placed on any other craft. So it is kinda expensive to make , but for the intended result, I think there is no better way.
Still very confused but il try n hopfully understand since the solo i bought has a pre attached gimbal it should hopfully not be to hard to follow i hope

Solo, extra battery, extra props, memory card AND a gimbal

I'm going back for a second one TODAY

Attachments

• IMG_2313.PNG
    IMG_2313.PNG
    196.6 KB · Views: 22
Still very confused but il try n hopfully understand since the solo i bought has a pre attached gimbal it should hopfully not be to hard to follow i hope
It's pretty simple really - we tend to make it confusing I guess!
What it means is that Solo actually has 2 computers. Most drones are controlled with only one that's in the controller. It runs all software and sends commands to the drone to carry out.
But Solo has its own computer. In other words - it really is a smart drone. Rather than depends I only on the controller for small flight adjustments and such, Solo is capable of making them its own.
Remember when you did the pre-flight update? You had to first download the update to the controller, and then the controller transferred it to Solo. With most drones only the controller is updated because it's the only part with a brain. You could say that Solo is twice as smart.
All this is extremely simplified but you get the idea.

It's pretty simple really - we tend to make it confusing I guess!
What it means is that Solo actually has 2 computers. Most drones are controlled with only one that's in the controller. It runs all software and sends commands to the drone to carry out.
But Solo has its own computer. In other words - it really is a smart drone. Rather than depends I only on the controller for small flight adjustments and such, Solo is capable of making them its own.
Remember when you did the pre-flight update? You had to first download the update to the controller, and then the controller transferred it to Solo. With most drones only the controller is updated because it's the only part with a brain. You could say that Solo is twice as smart.
All this is extremely simplified but you get the idea.

i havent flown mine yet cause it hasn't
come in yet i bought from ebay (im worried cause i dont see a controller in his picture)
It is estimated by Tuesday-Wednesday

il be very pissed off if he didnt include the controller cause he didnt say it was not included

s-l1600.jpg

i havent flown mine yet cause it hasn't
come in yet i bought from ebay (im worried cause i dont see a controller in his picture)
It is estimated by Tuesday-Wednesday

il be very pissed off if he didnt include the controller cause he didnt say it was not included

View attachment 4540
The controller is under the drone in your picture. You can see the phone mount which is connected to the controller.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado