3DRsolo is it worth it???

GP4s are already NOS new-old-stock and old technology. To think that you will never need to buy a camera for a drone again - let alone another drone, means you will either give up flying altogether, or must be very old and ready to croak soon - and your profile says otherwise on that count.
i ment for current drones on the market not upcoming drones

I was hoping i would have lost the bidding on 3dr solo i havent heard enough info on this drone yet to say if its a good or bad drone i still hear about it dropping from sky if you lose all gps or that it sometimes flies off on its own
i want to see or hear proof its good or if you can take pictures / videos while flying but i hear bad but not much good i dont know if its a good buy or not but the camera is just for all current drones on market even the karma maybe idk......not enough info to go off of yet and im getting a little annoyed that $600 dollars later im hearing nothing thats making me confident and more worried here.....

The hero 4 silver and black works perfectly with the solo.
If you have them you are good to go - from my understanding the 3+ Black will also work but you don't have full access to the GoPro menus. 3 + silver not sure it might not work unless there was an update that I missed.

all i know is this

Im unsure if this is a good drone for what i want or not
idk how it compares to dji phantom 3 adv
but i fear i just spent about $600-$700 on a drone that wont do what i like or want

I don't know what you plan on using your drone for but I think you might be better off buying a phantom 3 professional or a phantom 4 - it's an all in one package with camera. 3DR solo needs a GoPro hero 4 to work properly - If you already have buyers remorse just return it and get a refund. Solo is a professional enterprise drone for serious cinematographers.

Reactions: Solo Keith
1: Cant return it
2: im using it photography and videography
3: I am already in it with a Hero 4 and the drone neither take returns

Then you should be good to go - just practice at an open area away from people. Take lots of videos and pictures and post them - good luck and god bless.

Reactions: Solo Keith
i can only hope that this $600-$700 i spent wasnt in vain because it may be alot of money that could have went to something else

i can only hope that this $600-$700 i spent wasnt in vain because it may be alot of money that could have went to something else
It is pretty simple really. Try finding another aerial platform that will even approach Solo for the price.

It is pretty simple really. Try finding another aerial platform that will even approach Solo for the price.
What do you mean by that

Then you should be good to go - just practice at an open area away from people. Take lots of videos and pictures and post them - good luck and god bless.

Il hope for the best its estimated by tuesday or wensday
It be nice if it could do night flying

New question: does it still fall out of the sky if you lose gps connection???

What do you mean by that

Il hope for the best its estimated by tuesday or wensday
It be nice if it could do night flying

New question: does it still fall out of the sky if you lose gps connection???
It has never taken out of the sky, GPS or no GPS.
What I mean is that for the money you've invested there isn't another drone on earth that can do what Solo does, or even come close.
Where is this GPS nonsense coming from? Yes, Solo had had problems with obtaining a fast LOCK - BUT it was only a matter of waiting a few minutes for it. What is this falling from the sky stuff about? It's never happened. In fact, Solo has a far greater reputation in this area that DJI.

It has never taken out of the sky, GPS or no GPS.
What I mean is that for the money you've invested there isn't another drone on earth that can do what Solo does, or even come close.
Where is this GPS nonsense coming from? Yes, Solo had had problems with obtaining a fast LOCK - BUT it was only a matter of waiting a few minutes for it. What is this falling from the sky stuff about? It's never happened. In fact, Solo has a far greater reputation in this area that DJI.
Im going by what i got told of losing gps ment it fell from the sky

So I have been doing some videography for a local pilot and I ran out of flight time on my solo since I burned through my two batteries. I then flew his Phantom 3 advanced. I noticed a few quick things that set these drones apart real quick.

Solo Good
  • Great control, not as touchy as the DJI (could be adjusted maybe?)
  • Camera control is much easier
  • Radiolayout is perfect, including the extra screen
  • Flight modes are superb (Does the PH3 advanced even have flight modes?)
Solo Bad:
  • Battery life was shorter
  • Drone seemed to have a lot of twitchy, quick adjustments to stay level, was also audible from the motors.
  • Video and radio signal are extremely poor IMO compared to the PH3 advanced (Lightbridge is the bomb)
Phantom 3 advanced Good
  • Radio felt just the tiniest bit more of quality.
  • Lightbridge kills everything
  • Battery life was about 5 mins better than Solo
  • Had more/ better gps signal and accuracy
Phantom 3 advanced bad
  • Button layout on the radio is TERRIBLE
  • White is extremely difficult to spot in the sky. Dumb move.
  • Flight modes were either extremely buried or does not have them?
  • Gimbal motors were at one point twitching randomly. Not sure why.

I will also mention I went to fly again and experienced A LOT of gps dropouts but I bought an m8n the day I purchased my solo so I don't really consider this a minus since I was going to replace them before I bought it.

So in conclusion the only reason I would consider a PH3 advanced would be for the Lightbridge. But I will be upgrading the wifi cards in my solo and hope for more improvement. Plus Best Buy has an absolute killer bundle for 400 bucks (don't listen to the online prices go in store and have them order it for you). Its just so easy to drop the money for a solo extra battery, extra props, gimbal, and a travel backpack for 400 bucks. Also Best Buy has the solo batteries for 50 bucks currently (again not advertised on their site) so go stock up!

So I have been doing some videography for a local pilot and I ran out of flight time on my solo since I burned through my two batteries. I then flew his Phantom 3 advanced. I noticed a few quick things that set these drones apart real quick.

Solo Good
  • Great control, not as touchy as the DJI (could be adjusted maybe?)
  • Camera control is much easier
  • Radiolayout is perfect, including the extra screen
  • Flight modes are superb (Does the PH3 advanced even have flight modes?)
Solo Bad:
  • Battery life was shorter
  • Drone seemed to have a lot of twitchy, quick adjustments to stay level, was also audible from the motors.
  • Video and radio signal are extremely poor IMO compared to the PH3 advanced (Lightbridge is the bomb)
Phantom 3 advanced Good
  • Radio felt just the tiniest bit more of quality.
  • Lightbridge kills everything
  • Battery life was about 5 mins better than Solo
  • Had more/ better gps signal and accuracy
Phantom 3 advanced bad
  • Button layout on the radio is TERRIBLE
  • White is extremely difficult to spot in the sky. Dumb move.
  • Flight modes were either extremely buried or does not have them?
  • Gimbal motors were at one point twitching randomly. Not sure why.

I will also mention I went to fly again and experienced A LOT of gps dropouts but I bought an m8n the day I purchased my solo so I don't really consider this a minus since I was going to replace them before I bought it.

So in conclusion the only reason I would consider a PH3 advanced would be for the Lightbridge. But I will be upgrading the wifi cards in my solo and hope for more improvement. Plus Best Buy has an absolute killer bundle for 400 bucks (don't listen to the online prices go in store and have them order it for you). Its just so easy to drop the money for a solo extra battery, extra props, gimbal, and a travel backpack for 400 bucks. Also Best Buy has the solo batteries for 50 bucks currently (again not advertised on their site) so go stock up!
What is a m8n???
I dont think i know what the lightbridge is lol
My bestbuy has no bundles on solo's

What kind of flights is solo have cause phantom has 5

What is a m8n???
I dont think i know what the lightbridge is lol
My bestbuy has no bundles on solo's

What kind of flights is solo have cause phantom has 5
What exactly are you trying to find out? Your questions have been answered pretty clearly, it seems to me.
If you're looking at things through the lens of buyer's remorse, relax. Solo is an excellent drone I suspect you will find you like more than the Phantom.
It is capable of much much more - just wait until you try out some of its smart shots. I realize it's hard to understand these things without firsthand experience.
Your basic question, though - is Solo worth it - had been answered with a resounding yes.
What else can you get for that $? Not much - you can get a Parrot I suppose. Maybe a top-shelf Chinese thing.
But that's about it.

What exactly are you trying to find out? Your questions have been answered pretty clearly, it seems to me.
If you're looking at things through the lens of buyer's remorse, relax. Solo is an excellent drone I suspect you will find you like more than the Phantom.
It is capable of much much more - just wait until you try out some of its smart shots. I realize it's hard to understand these things without firsthand experience.
Your basic question, though - is Solo worth it - had been answered with a resounding yes.
What else can you get for that $? Not much - you can get a Parrot I suppose. Maybe a top-shelf Chinese thing.
But that's about it.
Well it will still be nice to find 1 more drone for indoor purposes then since phantom cant and solo i dont think can

But that's about it.

I know this is most likely a no but does it have a follow target mode i can select on the feed like in phantom 4 or mavic???

And is it true that you can upgrade parts and pieces on the solo

It has a follow me mode - it follows the phone or tablet you're using. There's no visual follow mode - you can't show it something and have it follow.
Solos upgrade ability is one of its best features. In fact, the ability to fit better motors, GPS units, accessories like parachutes etc., is one of its best points.
It's really one of a kind in this way.

It has a follow me mode - it follows the phone or tablet you're using. There's no visual follow mode - you can't show it something and have it follow.
Solos upgrade ability is one of its best features. In fact, the ability to fit better motors, GPS units, accessories like parachutes etc., is one of its best points.
It's really one of a kind in this way.

Well i have no idea if il use the follow mode i dont see any benefit of it yet unless i ski or snowboard or whatever

Can you show me some upgrades (in case i decide to upgrade the drone or pieces or anything?)

Upgrades:
* mrobotics M8N GPS - GPS/GLONASS/Galileo
* FPVLR antenna
* Hero 4 black
* Polar Pro - filter
* Extra batteries
* Backpack

Things to keep in mind:
* Practice, practice, practice
* understand the limitation of the aircraft
* understand that if it looses signal it will return to home by itself don't panic
* start preparing to return and land when the batteries are at 30%
* if your battery reaches a certain threshold it will decend on its own - don't run down your batteries and let it cool before you charge.
* good luck!!

i currently own a phantom 3 advanced right now and im thinking about buying the mavik as well
but i have seen the 3DR solo on the market for over 300-400 dollars and i did consider it at 1time but i also saw lots of reviews of it drifting or noisy or if GPS drops the drone drops from the sky among other problems and bad customer service

Is it worth buying this drone for a backup purpose and more???
If your purpose is for backup, by definition of a backup is having an exact copy of your everyday drone. Hence,by the definition, Solo is not your choice.

On the other hand, if you are looking for a comparison drone that can perform similar tasks, some will not as good but some are better, solo at $399 is an excellent candidate.

To me, the GPS issues are well known and as experienced DIY and APM person, that is not an issue to me. Same for Solo future as 3DR existing the hardware scene. Other than DJI drone for my business, our workhorse drone is APM drone. With decreasing prices, we got couple Solo for their parts and for testing new algorithms we are developing for our business.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado