3DR Solo FAA cleared High Altitude Flight

Reaction score
The FAA had granted clearance for this flight at an FPV event at Lonesome Pine Airport in Wise Va.. DO NOT do this if you do not have clearance.

The 2nd Annual Flying Circus was hosted by StoneBlueAirlines.com at the Airport August 21 through the 23rd. The FAA, Lonesome Pine Airport and the FPV community worked together to demonstrate that with proper rules in place UAV's and airplanes can share airspace. There were multirotor races, altitude climbs and free flights during the event. We would get a 10, 5 and 3 mile warning from the tower when incoming aircraft was approaching. When we would get the warning all UAV's were grounded.

Again do not do this if the FAA has not given you clearance. I'm sharing this experience with others so that they can lobby their own local municipal airports and the FAA to host similar events. I think if you give UAV pilots the chance to legally fly their drones above 400' and past LOS then you will have less instances where it is being done illegally.

Safe Flying!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Ohh about the video, this was around 2600' and I still had 2 bars left on the controller. Thanks FPVLR Tony! I could have went higher but that was high enough for me that day :)

Reactions: Acroduster
LOL! I landed once in Wise Va on my way to Quantico. There is noting around there to hit other than a few buzzards circling overhead and a couple of stray deer on the runway J/K;) . The video looks great! Congrats on reaching 2600ft and doing it responsibility.:).

LOL! I landed once in Wise Va on my way to Quantico. There is noting around there to hit other than a few buzzards circling overhead and a couple of stray deer on the runway J/K;) . The video looks great! Congrats on reaching 2600ft and doing it responsibility.:).

Yes, not a lot out there to avoid. Locals there are pushing the FAA to use Wise County for UAV delivery testing as well as UAV research. The first ever FAA approved UAV delivery was conducted at the same airport last month. Pretty cool stuff :)

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
How does someone try to get FAA approval for such an event? Is there a form, or person to talk to?

Reactions: JOHN CUERVO
How does someone try to get FAA approval for such an event? Is there a form, or person to talk to?

I would try and talking to the airport you want to hold the event at first. They should know who to contact at the FAA. You could also reach out to StoneBlueAirlines.com as well. They may be able to help.

I wouldn't think so. It would be the same as when an airport may have jumpers on a certain day. The FBO operator calls in to the nearest FAA facility and lets them know. They issue a NOTAM for that area advising pilots to be aware if they are flying in the area.
I'm not sure they even call the FAA,,,,maybe the area radar approach control.

Reactions: lsmith1981
Did this cost to get the approval to do this?

No money should change hands for events like this. Now if the airport needed to charge for electricity/facilities then that is understandable but not to get FAA clearance.

The FBO will contact the Regional Center that controls that area for the approval. Well that is what my pops told me when asked he does the work on ERAMS and OCEANIC systems. The upgrades and field support.

Reactions: aggravated...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M