High altitude flying solo

Reaction score
Hi I researched before I took my solo up to the tippy top of a 14er that I hiked so happened to be the highest peak in Colorado 14,433ft.

The highest I read about solo going was around 11k with 11" props from apc and there was someone who was going to test at 12k but never wrote his experience but with the upgraded antennas there are videos I've seen taking solo into the clouds.

So I decided to make the 12 mile hike with the added weight of solo stock props and 2 batteries plus all my normal gear. I thought it would fly as I've seen video of the little tiny mavic flying at 14k but I took my solo off hovered for a few seconds it dropped dramatically and I had a hard time keeping it in a small radius and hovering at the same altitude then it just began to descend until I took it down never got more than 20ft off the ground.

Is there anything I can do different or can solo just not handle the altitude? I figured it could cause I love this thing and thought the larger drone with larger motors could handle since the mavic could. Thanks!

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
I don't like that type/size of prop on the Solo. The standard Master Air Screw for Solo are really great and that might be the ticket.

Didn't know we had room for 11" props on the stock Solo frame. Might be something to play with...

The air is simply too thing for this kind of configuration. If it lasted a minute with stock propellers, you might get a minute and a half out of master air screw props. You can't make something out of nothing. High altitude work like that requires low kv motors turning big ass high pitch props. You're not going to get that with a solo.

The air is simply too thing for this kind of configuration. If it lasted a minute with stock propellers, you might get a minute and a half out of master air screw props. You can't make something out of nothing. High altitude work like that requires low kv motors turning big ass high pitch props. You're not going to get that with a solo.
Thanks chief...I was hoping that wasn't going to be the case. Well I'll still have my Solo for most all other operations..but I guess I'll be looking into a mavic for some shots on top of the 14ers plus added benefit of weight and compactness. Just sucks I've done 5 so far with no drone shots.

Thanks to this I just found out that there's WHITE MA props! So I've got Green, I've got Orange, now with the white ones, I have the colors of the Irish Flag! Now, if someone would just 3D print leg extenders to match.... :)

Maybe we can convince them to make metallic silver colored ones? Then your props would be reflective for long distance flying? Put on two of those and two black ones and copter orientation becomes easier....

Not sure if this creates problems for other aviation, however....

So I had some idea's in this area and wanted to know if it's one of those "good vs bad" idea's.

1: Solo is obviously a heat magnet on sunny days. In fact I'm weary of taking it up when it hits the high 90's, So wondering if wrapping the solo in a more reflective color would help keep it cooler. So a silver or white wrap. However.... the problem with this is when it gets up in the air, it may actually be harder to spot. So silver or white on top with a striped pattern underneath?

2: Although I like the idea of different colored props, I'm not sure the current colors are all that nice mix and match. Now, bright red props and silver props, I like that idea. Red on the rear I think would be easy to spot.

I thought the polar pro lights were a good idea, however there are drawbacks. I mean, you run the risk of blinding yourself looking at them... well, temporarily. The other is that when filming a drone with those lights (via another drone) the intensity of the light can actually blur your footage (so the drone you're filming tends to look a bit like a well lit up blob of light).

One more insane idea... Longer legs (replace wifi leg with a long omni directional antenna?) and color the darn legs! Not sure what it would do for the aerodynamics of the drone, but then again, it's not like it's a lifting body or anything. Winds might cause some stability issues is all I can think of.

Lets face it though, best thing to do (besides keep it in close view..) would be to put LED light strips on it that light individually (like turn signals on newer cars). So they light up from rear to front in a strobing fashion. Not only useful, but cool looking!

1) Observed multiple times this summer while doing survey mapping. I think more than anything just the battery would benefit from a white skin to help cut down on some heat soak. Motors always come down barely warm after a pack at 25mph grid survey, and the shell gets a bit warm to the touch, but I think there is ample airspace inside to prevent heatsoak to the internal components.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Aye, I also made sure that when operating outdoors to string up a tarp shelter just to keep everything out of direct sunlight when setting up, prepping or just during idle time. Also wondering if with reflective props, maybe putting an LED pointing straight up to shine on them would be good in low light conditions (and also awesome looking). Pretty sure it would still look cool with the current props on offer.

Aye, I also made sure that when operating outdoors to string up a tarp shelter just to keep everything out of direct sunlight when setting up, prepping or just during idle time. Also wondering if with reflective props, maybe putting an LED pointing straight up to shine on them would be good in low light conditions (and also awesome looking). Pretty sure it would still look cool with the current props on offer.
Even with the black props, the disk will interfere with the LED light and reflect back. Should look slick.

Last edited:
Even with the black props, the disk will interfere with the LED light and reflect back. About the only problem I could see would be that most LEDs are at 60Hz so you likely won't get a nice full disk reflection, but something more chopped up. May still look slick.
Uh....LEDs are by nature a DC device and thus have no Hz. Even when working with dimming, most of them are 100kHz PWM. Which should not be at all visible.

Mine flew fine at over 12,000 feet at Cumberland pass with the APC props last summer.

So I had some idea's in this area and wanted to know if it's one of those "good vs bad" idea's.

1: Solo is obviously a heat magnet on sunny days. In fact I'm weary of taking it up when it hits the high 90's, So wondering if wrapping the solo in a more reflective color would help keep it cooler. So a silver or white wrap. However.... the problem with this is when it gets up in the air, it may actually be harder to spot. So silver or white on top with a striped pattern underneath?

2: Although I like the idea of different colored props, I'm not sure the current colors are all that nice mix and match. Now, bright red props and silver props, I like that idea. Red on the rear I think would be easy to spot.

I thought the polar pro lights were a good idea, however there are drawbacks. I mean, you run the risk of blinding yourself looking at them... well, temporarily. The other is that when filming a drone with those lights (via another drone) the intensity of the light can actually blur your footage (so the drone you're filming tends to look a bit like a well lit up blob of light).

One more insane idea... Longer legs (replace wifi leg with a long omni directional antenna?) and color the darn legs! Not sure what it would do for the aerodynamics of the drone, but then again, it's not like it's a lifting body or anything. Winds might cause some stability issues is all I can think of.

Lets face it though, best thing to do (besides keep it in close view..) would be to put LED light strips on it that light individually (like turn signals on newer cars). So they light up from rear to front in a strobing fashion. Not only useful, but cool looking!
Winter is coming so heat may not be a problem. However, it would seem that the cooling effect from the props would shed any absorbed heat from the sun.

I have used vinyl wraps before. They are finicky and oftentimes difficult to apply properly.
Moderate compound curves are possible (with a heat gun; Solo is plastic, proceed w/caution) but can be a PIA; it would not be my choice for Solo
AVOID covering with anything (paint included) that has a metallic ingredient that would block the GPS signal

If you are really on to creating a unique look of ANY sort for any reason, and are willing and able to take your Solo completely apart, look into the myriad of choices with Hydrographics. That method is wild with possibilities.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Hi I researched before I took my solo up to the tippy top of a 14er that I hiked so happened to be the highest peak in Colorado 14,433ft.

The highest I read about solo going was around 11k with 11" props from apc and there was someone who was going to test at 12k but never wrote his experience but with the upgraded antennas there are videos I've seen taking solo into the clouds.

So I decided to make the 12 mile hike with the added weight of solo stock props and 2 batteries plus all my normal gear. I thought it would fly as I've seen video of the little tiny mavic flying at 14k but I took my solo off hovered for a few seconds it dropped dramatically and I had a hard time keeping it in a small radius and hovering at the same altitude then it just began to descend until I took it down never got more than 20ft off the ground.

Is there anything I can do different or can solo just not handle the altitude? I figured it could cause I love this thing and thought the larger drone with larger motors could handle since the mavic could. Thanks!
Your Solo will fly quite well at 14k... In fact. You just need to get used to flying in Stabilization mode. I rip around all the time at high elevation...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl