firmware altitude limitations?

Reaction score
I heard someone mention that there is an altitude limit

so I found

Altitude Limit

Always fly at appropriate altitudes for your flying location and local regulations. Solo cannot avoid obstacles on its own, so always select altitudes that avoid any obstacles, such as trees, buildings, and power lines.

Solo includes a safety fence enabled by default at 150 ft. (46 m). This altitude can be adjusted to 400 ft - (reflecting the current FAA regulations to avoid potential conflicts with manned aircraft and represents a safe line-of-sight altitude). If Solo reaches the altitude limit, it stops ascending and limits throttle input to stay below the altitude limit.

It is not recommended to remove the altitude limit for Solo - you should always fly below 400 ft and ground the drone if there are any aircraft in the area.
- Altitude Limit | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

I plan to fly Patagoinia, South America

very open spaces in nature - and capture it from the above
very low population density there
in places with no aircraft movement
or get clearance from local airport/authorities

is there a way to remove this 400 ft altitude limit?
if removed what would be the limit?

do other drones like

Mavic

It can be adjusted in SETTINGS, to match the legal requirements in your country. It is referenced to the take-off position of each flight which, while not perfectly accurate due to undulating terrain / obstacles, provides a good reference to keep you out of prison. Fly your drone above the legal height limit and bring a helicopter or light aircraft down, and all hell will rain down upon you. Rightly so.

Taking off from a beach, your drone's software-limited HEIGHT (changable in SETTINGS) is nowhere near the maximum ALTITUDE ability of a Mavic (5000 metres or 16,404 feet).

Just because the Mavic's settings can be adjusted to allow flights up to HEIGHTS of 500 metres, this will very rarely be legal. Most countries will prosecute you for flying above 91 metres (300 feet). Some countries permit 121 metres (400 feet). Flights at greater HEIGHTS will need approval from the relevant national aviation authority.
- MAVIC ALTITUDE TEST???

and
Phantom - how did this guy go to 4200 meters -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and
Karma - no info on official site or forum Solved: Altitude/Wind Speed Restrictions for Karma? - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB

thank you

i call this video Bullshit !
it seems to be on fast forward, because the ascend rate is 100m in 2s - the world record is 3,871s for 100m vertical ascend with a drone......

1:20 min to get 4100m vertical HAHAHA

show me the drone and show me the Battery that can handle this.....

the descend is in 15s with 32x fast forward, this is 8min in real time, that would be 8,5m/s descend speed.

anyway, you can turn the altitude limit off on your Solo, but when something happens then, you can just prey, and think about your Battery for the descent.

I would recommend to descend in Stabilize mode or at least in Fly:Manual, it will descend much faster then

patagoinia is already a moderate to high elevation, you may unlock it by enabling advanced flight modes and changing the settings to no limit. That said follow the rules of the country and realize that the drone may not perform well at that elevation and in thinner air.

There is a maximum operating altitude as well and i would think most of patagonia would be under that except maybe San Valentin or Fitz Roy, now if you go into the Andes proper , then thats a whole other issue..

I heard someone mention that there is an altitude limit

so I found

- Altitude Limit | 3DR - Drone & UAV Technology

I plan to fly Patagoinia, South America

is there a way to remove this 400 ft altitude limit?
if removed what would be the limit?

do other drones like

Mavic

- MAVIC ALTITUDE TEST???

and
Phantom - how did this guy go to 4200 meters -
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
and
Karma - no info on official site or forum Solved: Altitude/Wind Speed Restrictions for Karma? - GOPRO SUPPORT HUB

thank you
Someone went IFR, wouldn't let FAA see that

Well as a private pilot, IMHO anyone who flies a drone out of site and through clouds where there could potentially be a airplane legally allowed to be flying IFR is an idiot and risking life and property... I don't care who has jusridiction, doesn't give a drone pilot license to do stupid stuff!

I agree with planeoldjim on this one - anyone who flies irresponsibly and risk a potential crash with an airplane is a complete idiot - no matter how experienced you think your are - FAA created certain rules that transcend international borders because of safety. Be smart and always base your judgement on the side safety when flying your sUAS.

I was responding to his stated conditions in his original post. Not in general. He also didn't say he wanted to fly through clouds. He asked how they were able to get that high.
He was only asking how to remove the height limitations. I also stated to check with the local laws. Not sure how any of that was irresponsible in answering the specific questions with his stated criteria.

I think he was positing the idea that sometimes you can be so remote and out of the way that this type of flying wouldn't pose a real risk at all.
Maybe so! But still, the idea of knowing I may crash a passenger plane gives me the creeps.

OK. Not in favor of people doing stupid things and winning stupid prizes, but the question was about Chile / Argentina and that ridiculous Mavic video was from Germany.

The actual problem with remote places like South America is there is very little air traffic in these remote mountainous areas,
But that said when/if there is it can be almost guaranteed that they are off the Radar and below the 500ft limits we are used to. Although that area probably has less Narco-traffic than the central american countries or northern regions of SA.

Stay out of the clouds and within LOS and fly in areas without airtraffic. Enjoy the trip.

I can confirm the Solo flies fine after unlocking altitude limits. We operated one at 1300 ft carrying a Micasense Rededge for an NSF project in Belize. Of course as others have said, local laws typically require special government permits to fly that high so please follow the rules to keep the rest of us from looking like fools. The permits aren't too hard to get if you plan ahead and know what you're doing. Main thing is watch for aircraft and carry a VHF radio on aviation bands so you can talk to anybody you see and advise them of your location.

Reactions: Planeoldjim

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig