3DR GPS Shield

Every time I do an update with Solo more problems are created, and reading the problems with the GPS. I have paid a lot for this drone, and yet I have to pay again to fix another problem.

The documentation is crap, the latest software was deemed to be important. Do the the people at 3DR do any testing, I'm not an expert, but within 10 minutes on the latest software, the video preview is cropped and the GoPro will not power on.

All I want is a drone without major issues, Why must the users be beta testers. All I have to say is that the Solo is a poorly produced product.
Your GoPro does not turn on automatically because you upgraded it to 4.0. Root cause is that GoPro decided to break the compatibility with the 4.0 release. You can blame GoPro but not 3DR for that.
There is a simple workaround- just turn it on manually. Not a big deal.

The new shield is not a must to fly Solo very successfully. However you can improve the GPS with it. 3DR has a well functioning support to resolve your shipment problem. Shipment worked well for everybody else, so they eventually will get it to you, too.

And finally, yes there is a lot of testing going on, a group of 100+ Solo users participate in beta testing. I spent about 1-2 hours a week up in the air over the past 3 months. What has been released by 3DR went through our hands.
For sure we may not have found every possible issue. So when you discover a defect, please formally describe the symptoms and the steps to reproduce and send it to 3DR support and post it here.

Reactions: Coastwise
I live 20 miles north of Dublin, and I have been flying RC models for over 12 years, I'm also fully licences and insurance to fly, the problem is after 8 months with this drone, I now have less confidence in this technology. All technology has issues and problems.

But after spending 2K+, and paying again to correct design issue, I feel that that I'm an unpaid beta tester.

Another bad day for my technology.

Can't spend all, my spare cash on a drone...........

The GPS hold is bad enough without the drink, maybe the next upgrade is to pour a pint of Guinness into the drone, maybe better than some cardboard.

Can't spend all, my spare cash on a drone...........

The GPS hold is bad enough without the drink, maybe the next upgrade is to pour a pint of Guinness into the drone, maybe better than some cardboard.
Oh- oh... Have you ever tried Tullamore Dew Single Malt Irish. May be time to do so. o_O

Your GoPro does not turn on automatically because you upgraded it to 4.0. Root cause is that GoPro decided to break the compatibility with the 4.0 release. You can blame GoPro but not 3DR for that.
There is a simple workaround- just turn it on manually. Not a big deal.

The new shield is not a must to fly Solo very successfully. However you can improve the GPS with it. 3DR has a well functioning support to resolve your shipment problem. Shipment worked well for everybody else, so they eventually will get it to you, too.

And finally, yes there is a lot of testing going on, a group of 100+ Solo users participate in beta testing. I spent about 1-2 hours a week up in the air over the past 3 months. What has been released by 3DR went through our hands.
For sure we may not have found every possible issue. So when you discover a defect, please formally describe the symptoms and the steps to reproduce and send it to 3DR support and post it here.
Thanks for the info and I will contact 3DR support again. Failure is not an option. Love the drone hate the issues.

Guys is there some trick to installing the shield? Is it bad for the shield to actually make contact with the GPS because I flattened it in there pretty good and I'm thinking of redoing it. Prior to installing it, I didn't really have any GPS issues. It would lock really quick, usually in under a minute and now I'm sitting over 2-3 minutes until I get the same quality lock as before. Any tips before I pull it apart? I actually saved the old copper shielding just in case.

It sticks to the bottom of the GPS, and it really only fits one way. It's nearly impossible to do it wrong without really trying to defy common sense.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When I first put it on, GPS was terrible. That was the weekend before last. I was concerned, but also couldn't prove there wasn't a satellite and atmospheric condition that made it suck. This past weekend, I did the firmware 2.4.1-6 update that you need to do. Then went to fly again. All weekend I had incredible GPS locks in record time. Unlike what I have ever experienced.

Guys is there some trick to installing the shield? Is it bad for the shield to actually make contact with the GPS because I flattened it in there pretty good and I'm thinking of redoing it. Prior to installing it, I didn't really have any GPS issues. It would lock really quick, usually in under a minute and now I'm sitting over 2-3 minutes until I get the same quality lock as before. Any tips before I pull it apart? I actually saved the old copper shielding just in case.
No trick... and the install procedure referenced on 3DR's site is this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

About 1 hour ago I installed a shield on my newest Rev B. Initial lockup was poor (>10 min inside) before the shield as the GPS was probably finding its way from China. As soon as I tried it with the new shield... just as bad (inside). The BEST GPS out of three is the Rev B with cardboard (about 2 min inside). Rev A Solo with shield... not so good. Rev B with shield... poor. I just received my M8N and when I can put 2 minutes back-to-back I'll install that in the Rev A Solo - although that doesn't seem to be the worst of my Solos.

The shield is obviously made to stick down, but I didn't overdo that.

...When I first put it on, GPS was terrible. That was the weekend before last. I was concerned, but also couldn't prove there wasn't a satellite and atmospheric condition that made it suck. This past weekend, I did the firmware 2.4.1-6 update that you need to do. Then went to fly again. All weekend I had incredible GPS locks in record time. Unlike what I have ever experienced.
Yes, I updated to 2.4.1-6 as well because it is specifically supposed to help GPS. I put Solo #3 back away, and don't fly #2 that often (both shields) - but I'll be on the lookout for improvement. :( I figured after it found its way to Florida from China, it should be faster...

Gonna check out the update then. I gave 3DR a ring via web chat and they said not to overtighten the screws when putting on the shield. I have it installed correctly but since I did press it in really good especially over the GPS I figured I'd ask. Lets see how the update performs.

Can pretty much guarantee success w/the update. I've always used this sequence to Fly.
1- Power Solo
2-Power Controller
3-Connect to Solo WiFi
4-Open 3DR Solo App
5-Check Solo Settings
6-Check GP Settings
Before the update 2.4.1-6 I was waiting 2-3 mins minimum before V2 Shield installation & w/cardboard mod. After V2 shield install, the time dropped at least 1/2 that. NOW after upgrade Solo has SAT lock when app is opened. These statistics are from a WiFi congested area in a not so open area. The latest upgrade has done a lot of positive for Solo

I've been lucky I guess. I always turn solo on first as I'm removing it from the backpack and have always had a GPS lock pretty much within a minute, two at most, before I've finished unpacking the other things. Even with the original GPS and the original crap copper shield.

Reactions: Solo Keith
Yeah well that's kinda what pisses me off. I had really quick GPS acquisition times prior to installing the shield. Should have never tried to fix what wasn't broken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Solo Keith
Yeah well that's kinda what pisses me off. I had really quick GPS acquisition times prior to installing the shield. Should have never tried to fix what wasn't broken...
Have you updated to 2.4.1.-6?
I always fix what ain't broken... no common sense sometimes.

As I said in a post above, my 2 shielded Solos have the worst lockup, cardboard/copper Solo the best. Can't say that the shield is any worse than NOT, but isn't any better than copper so far. And they are all 2.4.1-6

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M