3DR GPS Shield

The shield help by cutting down bounced GPS signals. So it helps for indoor or among tall buildings.

Manual is not the only way even you don't have other sensors. For example, you can implement optical flow with stock solo and camera for indoor flight.

Manual is not the only way even you don't have other sensors. For example, you can implement optical flow with stock solo and camera for indoor flight.
You're changing the subject. They were discussing GPS and YOU said it helped to fly indoors, which is flat out wrong. Then when called out you bring up optical flow, which no one was discussing.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I just pointed out the fact that manual is not the only option for indoor flight, how is that off the tropic?

If the hdop is good and reliable, you can fly GPS indoor. The shield helps in reliability, do you agree or not?

3DR store has new shield under solo accessories. The listed price is 29.99 but they were accepting a coupon/code (FBGPSV2) at checkout which brought it to $15. Not sure if they are still on sale or if code is still valid.

Just open a chat with support, I had to do that last Fri when I ordered mine.

I'm going to go in the opposite direction and say I opted to cancel my order instead. I'm perfectly happy with the performance of my stock Solo.

Phillip Rowes did not seem to appreciate 3DR's move with offering this shield. Not sure if this has any weight. I'm glad to see everyone else is enjoying the results though (placebo effect or not).

Regarding losing GPS and rewind, perhaps in the future we can take advantage of computer vision and use the GoPro's cam combined with previous telemetry data to navigate back. I don't think something like this would ever be official for a product marketed with flying more safely in mind as a feature like this would only push people to fly more dangerously. Still an interesting open source project though.

Reactions: LAK-USA
I've had an improvement with the new shield (but some conditions appear to be not better). I get worse results inside on a cold bootup, in that I used to get 4 sats, now I get 0. Even left it for 10 mins and was still 0 (where previously it got 4 regularly). On my balcony it does get to a flyable HDOP (1.1 or below) quicker than before. Its about 2/3 of the previous time (so about 30 secs).

More good news is that I could put my hand over the GPS I lose less than with the old shield, which is good news.

Once I brought it back inside after getting a flyable lock it was holding between 6 and 8 sats (but not a flyable HDOP bounces between 1.2 to 4.1)

Won't be able to test flying outdoors until the rain stops (forecast the next 7 days, grrrr). I have a good feeling about this shield but having said that the old shield seem to do a reasonable job for me (rarely had to wait more than 1 or 2 minutes to fly).

Last edited:
Reactions: SARDG
I haven't gotten my shield yet. But I did get my other Solo which gets a SAT lock before I'm done opening the Solo app. Lightning fast compared to Solo1 which has the cardboard mod. Solo2 has 0 mods @ this time.

My Solo 1 came from B&H with Rev B and shortly after I did the cardboard mod which improved lock-up time 2-fold. (1/2 the time). Working so well now, I don't want to mess with it and install the shield. As a matter of fact, after I installed 2.4.1-3 Beta, that Rev B cardboard bird suddenly found 10 satellites indoors - and that had never happened before.

My Solo 2, purchased later from B&H, had Rev A, but had the same approximate lock-up times as the un-moded Rev B. Since Solo 1 (Rev B, cardboard) had already improved, last night I took one of my two shields and put it in Solo 2 (Rev A) and noticed no improvement inside - nearly 10 minutes to lock, max satellites: seven.

I need to do some fly-testing, but like ChrisBird, it rains/thunderstorms every afternoon here in SW Florida when I am ready to fly. It has rained for 40 days and 40 nights and it looks like another 40 are in the works.

In the meantime, I think I will take the poorer performing Solo 2 (with Rev A and the shield) and install an M8N board. I've been trying to justify trying that board, anyway.

Reactions: Solo Keith
I just finished up flying three batteries with the new 3DR GPS shield installed. I have the rev A GPS installed and it had the copper shield prior to today.
Before the new shield was installed my lock time in the same flying area was less than a minute. Typically it would see 11 Sats with an hdop of 1.6-1.8.

Now with the new shield my lock time was about a minute+, it sees 15 to 16 sats and has an hdop of 0.7.
It feels more "locked in" now while flying. That could be my imagination.
I did not do any calibrations. Just powered it up and waited for GPS and flew it.

Over all it's definitely an improvement over the older copper shield.

I ordered a Solo V2 shield yesterday morning. I used the promo code 3DRPGPSV2 and it worked for me.
I hope you're ready to wait for it. Ordered mine 07/07, shipped 07/11, talked w/3DR chat a couple times about where the Shield is, still waiting ):

Got my shield today and just installed it. I'm really hoping that it's just a crappy GPS time of day cuz it was sitting waiting for lock with only 6 sats and hdop of 2.5 for at least five minutes. I wasn't really having any problems before and didn't buy it to address a specific issue. Just wanted a bit more insurance and my first flight with it was pretty disappointing. However I did take it up in manual mode and it did eventually lock onto 13 sats with a 0.8 hdop like normal so who the heck knows.

And by the way those of you that are waiting for your shields don't expect it to show up in a cardboard box. Mine came in a business envelope and I almost mistook it for junk mail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus