3DR Announces Android App v2.4 out in "few weeks"

In the corporate world, a mob is usually more effective than a letter. Most companies don't care about letters. They care about their PR, social media, perception, and future sales. That's why the UN Is such a joke when they mail a letter to people who commit genocide. Pretty sure they don't care.

Should open source it and make the source code available for the Android app.

Reactions: prowler9
The problem with the iOS option is that you have to buy a much more expensive device with a monthly cellular plan to get GPS on the tablet. This really drives up both the entry and ongoing costs.

The problem with the iOS option is that you have to buy a much more expensive device with a monthly cellular plan to get GPS on the tablet. This really drives up both the entry and ongoing costs.

The GPS will still work without the cellular plan, but yes, you need to purchase the cell enabled device to get the GPS functionality. I'm not buying one just to use with Solo.

The GPS will still work without the cellular plan, but yes, you need to purchase the cell enabled device to get the GPS functionality. I'm not buying one just to use with Solo.
Thanks for the clarification: which Ipad can match the Nexus for screen brightness? The reason I ask is that some have reported the Mini 4 is not that great in the sun even with the 3DR hood.

Many Android users may want or need to switch at some point. Knowing the lowest cost acceptable alternative would be nice.

geofence would've been really nice, losing AR is a big blow IMO
the application is limitless and was the a major selling point of the new update.

I think some 3DR fans on here need a rude awakening. This is NOT good news any way you cut it. First basically withdrawing from consumer space and now a lead Android guy leaves. You wonder how much money the company has to attract a new lead dev.

I don't want to jump to conclusions but at this rate Android will fall out of favor on this platform.

As someone who pre-ordered Solo reviews unseen there's not much confidence instilled...so for the average person it makes much more sense to go with the competitors.

Reactions: Lastduik
That's not accurate according to Philip and others. Fredia was one person who went to google after 3DR disbanded the Android Team. I guess we will see what happens with future updates post 2.4, but the people in the know keep saying get iOS if you want continued full support. He has many friends still at 3dr, and has been 100% right with everything he's publicly stated. 3DR on the other hand, has not been forthcoming.

Philip:

if this it true, this is FU##ING BULLSH#T @Vu.3DR I just bought this thing and bought an Android device and gp4...I DO NOT WANT an IOS device , I want my money back if that is the truth.

I have android and IOS, but I do not like iOS due to its control freak nature of Apple.

For my hobbies Android allows me to install Apps which I can't even find its equivalent in an Apple, because Apple does not allow such apps.

Example #1 wifi analyzer.
Wifi Analyzer - Android Apps on Google Play

Example #2 GPS Data
GPS Data - Android Apps on Google Play
GPS raw data apps as in the GPS chip in our device, how good or bad it is performing.

I do not know how Apple manage my iPad Air 2 positioning data. It is GPS only ? Is it cell tower triangulation ?
In Android you can choose your positioning data clearly, GPS only and others etc etc.

If I can't define the quality and sensitivity of my built in GPS chip in my device, I am totally not comfortable of using it, hence I bought a US$200+ Bad Elf GPS Pro+ bluetooth version with Barometer. Bad Elf GPS Pro+

However I do not know how well Bad Elf Apps will co-exist with 3DR Solo Apps.
If I need 2 Apps to operate simultenously, its kind of worrying if officially these two Apps are not from the same "family".
This is positioning data I am speaking of and my Solo can go banana if something goes wrong with positioning and Barometer data if the Bad Elf apps somehow develop conflict with 3DR Solo Apps. Because my iPad Air 2 has built in GPS, I also worry if there is a bug in Bad Elf Apps and iOS over which positioning data or barometer data to use...who knows.
Perhaps it is safer to buy an Apple with no GPS chip & barometer built in if Bad Elf is what I want to use.

I choose stand alone Bad Elf Pro+ is due to it is an apple approved GPS, yeah freakin Apple control freak, I can't just buy any bluetooth GPS. In android, bluetooth GPS is allowed to connect directly with no Apps. The main reason for stand alone GPS is better sky coverage if I am in a car with solid metal roof. Blue tooth GPS we can place somewhere with better sky view easily.

Those who tried GPS DATA apps, you can see how much satellite signal degration when we are sitting as passenger in a car front seat, compared to placing our GPS able android on the dashboard with better sky view.

Cost is not as issue for me, freakin controlled Apple product is my dislike.

In the corporate world, a mob is usually more effective than a letter. Most companies don't care about letters. They care about their PR, social media, perception, and future sales. That's why the UN Is such a joke when they mail a letter to people who commit genocide. Pretty sure they don't care.

In the corporate world, the majority of systems are Android and PC, not Apple. I fully expect to lose a few customers over the requirement for an iPad vs an Android tablet. :(

Well..... I don't 'need' AR and geofence, but if this now means Android is considered 2nd class citizens for future updates then this blows! :mad:
I was all happy today to see Part 107 may get announced tomorrow, and now this.

Any reviews if the ipad Mini 2 is decent??:(
I have an iPad Mini 3 which works fine with Solo.:cool:

Thanks for the clarification: which Ipad can match the Nexus for screen brightness? The reason I ask is that some have reported the Mini 4 is not that great in the sun even with the 3DR hood.

Many Android users may want or need to switch at some point. Knowing the lowest cost acceptable alternative would be nice.
I don't think any of them can. My Nexus 7 is brighter and crisper than my iPad Mini 3.
That being said, even with a hood, the Nexus can be hard to see in sunlight. I had to add a glare screen to each of them.

I'd get at least a mini 3 over a 2. The mini2 is the lowest model mini that the new ios10 coming out in the fall will support, which means it may not work in ios11 after that. Who knows. Apple likes to make hardware obsolete with software updates forcing you to upgrade hardware if you want to stay current with software.

iOS 10 won't support these devices, or older:
iPhone 4s, iPad 2, iPad 3, and iPad Mini 1.

I'd get at least a mini 3 over a 2. The mini2 is the lowest model mini that the new ios10 coming out in the fall will support, which means it may not work in ios11 after that. Who knows. Apple likes to make hardware obsolete with software updates forcing you to upgrade hardware if you want to stay current with software.

Just another reason to dislike Apple!!

Reactions: Lastduik

...Apple/iOS is the antithesis of what 3dr solo /open source/DIY is all about....ffs

It looks like the customer service reps are just using the same scripted response.
I asked 3DR if they ever planned to include AR and Geofence for Android, and this is what I got

"We will be releasing Solo Android 2.4 in a few weeks. It will have the Zip, Pano, Return to Me, and Return and Hover. Unfortunately, we're not planning to have AR or Geofence, those features will only be on iOS. As always, all bugs and issues will continue to be addressed ASAP."

Feeling betrayed at the moment!

Great news about android. You buy a drone in good faith thinking that android system in fine but no so to sum it all up if you use a android device your not getting 100% use of all its features which is really disappointing

people will have a hissy fit no matter what happens
the real people will get it
we are getting the main features, results are what I care about
With the addition of zip and pano, and return to me I can get as good a result with android as I can with Apple
So its good, in my humble opinion
Great be happy with not using 100% of its capabilities. Makes good sense

As a long time Apple user, I feel disappointed and somewhat stupid...
I love iOS, but for my Solo, I bought my first Android device ever (Nvidia).
Since the iPad Mini is more expensive (even more with gps) and Tower was only supported on Android, I thought this was the logical way to go. I even thought 3DR was favouring Android.

Now, I have a 4 months old Android tablet and have a feeling that I should have bought an iPad mini instead, despite the - at that time - benefits of an Android device.

I would consider buying an Apple tablet, if I was not a bit concerned about where 3DR is going in the future. This is the first time I'm worried about that.

Reactions: jibcamera

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl