Solo Might Be Dead

I guess no one believes in the power of price point. Let's be honest here. No one is producing feature films with this equipment and if they are, there are thousands more dollars in back end equipment to get the footage up to par so; with that being said, let's focus on who the price point targets; better yet, let's not. Let's just say that at $799 a lot more stockings will be stuffed with a great quality quad copter this holiday season and for years to come.

Not everyone needs or wants to fly for distance. There is a market that doesn't need a quad like this to fly more than 500 yards. In my opinion, this price point is perfect for what it does and who it will do it for.

C
We are talking about average consumers here, not hobbyist or prosumers.
Call em what you will but most that buy a quad at these price points is getting into the hobby and will want more when they realize it's there. I guess it's getting the follow me and other soloesque stuff so it's up to them but what you miss out on to save 200 or less dollars I think buyers will regret the choice even if dji doesn't.

I doubt this release has much effect on solo there's quite a price gap in between and if your looking at solo p3 pro or even inspire are more likley going to be your other options. Parrot may be in for it as well as some others but doubt solo is going to take much of a hit.

I am new to UAV,s. Bought the Solo even though it cost a lot more than the DJI products. Why? Read a lot of these threads on both DJI and 3DR. A couple of things became clear. All products have issues, 3DR was trying to give some customer service, most thought DJI customer service was non existent. 3DR is based in the USA (not patriotic, I'm Canadian.) DJI based in China. Most stuff I have got that was built in China has been very substandard. I know Solo is assemble there but there is huge difference between being assembled and being designed and assembled. Price will attract some people but it is still a big ticket item for most and hopefully they will do their research. 3DR just has to keep its customer service up.

My reasoning as well ya get what ya pay for and if service is important there's no comparison. I have one of each and even getting simple questions answered you have to venture into a public forum cause dji must not understand our language.

Well to me DJI has entered another market segment, like others have said, this is truly a consumer grade product in the P3S. No research, just impulse purchases by those that want to try and fly. This will be sitting on the shelves at Walmart and/or Brookstone. I think we are seeing VC influences into DJI.

This will not fair well based on the short comings that are DJI. The media will praise the product into the gifting season and by spring will be throwing them under the bus.

Good analogy @rrmccabe , reminds me when Cadillac converted a gas 350 motor to be diesel back in the late 70's, that didn't work out well for them. Our family switched to Ford products thereafter....

Good analogy @rrmccabe , reminds me when Cadillac converted a gas 350 motor to be diesel back in the late 70's, that didn't work out well for them. Our family switched to Ford products thereafter....
Yes. Gm ruined it's ability to gain trust for many years over that!

For many years folks have trust back in gm now, I feel bad for those folks. Kidding, kinda I've had absolutely horrible luck with gm and honestly most merican car companies for quite a while now and I'm all for US in other areas but my 2 Hondas and Lexus have more hours and less issues than prolly ten American rides combined unfortunatley.

Back on topic.... The release of the P3S just reinforces what I think of DJI, cheap crap....never again.

Seems like the parts used at least the shell I'm sure you've held a phantom compared to solo. I can't say the p3 is the same but compared to my p2 it's like a tank and a toy build wise. I think they both could learn from eachother, phantom seems to be getting to were they have the electronics down after years of trials were 3dr is learning trial and error. However 3dr put out a solid bird that they are working to perfect electronics wise but it's built with good sturdy material where dji puts out the cheapest option available and if it crashes or even heats up its bad news is what I think.

Mainly it's probably cause we let them with no real competition we bought the flimsy plastic birds anyway, now I'd hope they learn and improve. I'd happily wait longer or spend a bit more to have a copter with both sides working together in a strong, agile, platform that does what it's meant to and will last.

I've never once crashed or landed hard even with my p2 and it's quite literally falling to pieces. I take great care of all my stuff especially rcs and it's disappointing to say the least. If it was 5 or more years old I could see plastic degradation but two just isn't acceptable for any product let alone a thousand dollar one initially.

I am pretty sure the shell on the Solo is way tougher than the Phantoms but have never had a problem with the three Phantoms I have flown. This includes several hundred miles with them.

Don't want to take this off topic as there is already a comparison thread. But going to say for my flying what is good about the Phantom far outweighs what is bad.

So to get back on topic, is the Solo dead. I don't think so as there is still a market for it and from looking at 3DR and DIY Drones they have some loyal fans/customers.

I will say that even without DJI releasing a lower cost Phantom 3DR is not going to take a huge chunk out of DJI's multi-rotor business.

Reactions: rrmccabe

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig