Solo Might Be Dead

I've enjoyed my phantom 2 but I think it's past time for them to be creative and change from the original design from years ago. If the p3 was stronger and had a change in cosmetic design I'd likley have one of them as well since they are proven to get great video and get into and out of places where solo is having a lot of difficulty.

So to get back on topic, is the Solo dead. I don't think so as there is still a market for it and from looking at 3DR and DIY Drones they have some loyal fans/customers.

I will say that even without DJI releasing a lower cost Phantom 3DR is not going to take a huge chunk out of DJI's multi-rotor business.

Maybe not initially but long term they will if dji doesn't change. I'd bet in a year or two Dji will at very least be much more creative and providing much better customer service or 3dr will take more than their fair share. They can't just live off being the only real decent rtf option anymore, not just 3dr but many others will be putting out just as good and better birds as the demand increases.

So to get back on topic, is the Solo dead. I don't think so as there is still a market for it and from looking at 3DR and DIY Drones they have some loyal fans/customers.

I will say that even without DJI releasing a lower cost Phantom 3DR is not going to take a huge chunk out of DJI's multi-rotor business.
Actually I don't think Dodge was referring to the lower cost Standard. He was referring to the fact that DJI might have working smart shots out before 3DR releases a gimbal.

Actually I don't think Dodge was referring to the lower cost Standard. He was referring to the fact that DJI might have working smart shots out before 3DR releases a gimbal.

I'm actually on the fence now about Solo. I mean I've flown it once over the past 3 weeks as my Inspire 1 has been getting a lot of love from me. I neglected it for a very long time once Solo came into the house. If.. and I mean if these features are made available on the P3S before Solo is a complete package, Solo is going back. As much as I like Solo, it's merely a tool. A tool that I can't really use right now. A different tool than my I1, a tool that can be easily replaced by the P3S if those features come to life.

My Solo is meant for tight quarters and very close proximity shots. Even though I was testing the range in the beginning I knew I would never actually fly Solo to it's max advertised range in a real life situation, at least not in its current state. I have no problem sending my I1 out 3' - 4k' with little worry. For example.. In the posted, I would be on pins and needles the entire time if this was Solo.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I should also mention that being an I1 owner, I know we've all been waiting for these features and they've been teased in the past. I don't think DJI had any real incentive to release them until now; thanks to 3DR.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I should also mention that being an I1 owner, I know we've all been waiting for these features and they've been teased in the past. I don't think DJI had any real incentive to release them until now; thanks to 3DR.
I think they are coming soon things. Could be wrong. But I agree about incentive. Solo/Guinn has to be target for wang!

When you say that its cheap crap what is cheap about it (I'm asking a potential buyer of a P3P)?
Good question, really have no exact answer for you. I guess it's really boils down to the engineering for me. But then again, talk is cheap. DJI just talks about soon to be features, but has never delivered in the year I have owned my bird. The P3 marketing material was spruced up from a year ago of the same...cheap.

Honestly, I really have no desire to help DJI succeed. So my depth of answers are limited in that regard. I'm old school engineering, slide rule kind of thing. When we build things based on an acceptable failure rate, then the engineering is lacking in my opinion. When we build things to last just one marketing cycle then it's just...crap.

Honestly, I really have no desire to help DJI succeed. So my depth of answers are limited in that regard. I'm old school engineering, slide rule kind of thing. When we build things based on an acceptable failure rate, then the engineering is lacking in my opinion. When we build things to last just one marketing cycle then it's just...crap.

I think the consumer is part of the problem with things only lasting 1 marketing cycle. I mean we as consumers are so hell bent on having the latest and greatest. Companies are no longer forced to make a long lasting product because the public gets bored with it. There are many factors that contribute to our short attention spans. Capitalism takes advantage of that. I don't blame companies for operating the way that they do in that regard because it's our fault that they can.

I think they are coming soon things. Could be wrong. But I agree about incentive. Solo/Guinn has to be target for wang!
Maybe you are suggesting the wrong target, maybe Guinn is targeting Wang...and this is all that the Chairman has as a counter attack...another product tier. Still can't deliver the goods and offering another product.

You're right Dodge, it is us the consumer that are at fault. That's why I think 3DR and it's community are the correct direction to step.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
I'm actually on the fence now about Solo. I mean I've flown it once over the past 3 weeks as my Inspire 1 has been getting a lot of love from me. I neglected it for a very long time once Solo came into the house. If.. and I mean if these features are made available on the P3S before Solo is a complete package, Solo is going back. As much as I like Solo, it's merely a tool. A tool that I can't really use right now. A different tool than my I1, a tool that can be easily replaced by the P3S if those features come to life.

My Solo is meant for tight quarters and very close proximity shots. Even though I was testing the range in the beginning I knew I would never actually fly Solo to it's max advertised range in a real life situation, at least not in its current state. I have no problem sending my I1 out 3' - 4k' with little worry. For example.. In the posted, I would be on pins and needles the entire time if this was Solo.

Granted it's bigger but the email did say that I1 and the other p3s would also get the firmware to equip the smart type features shortly after standard release, figure you likley got it too but thought I'd mention it since you mentioned purchasing a standard, just in case.

Granted it's bigger but the email did say that I1 and the other p3s would also get the firmware to equip the smart type features shortly after standard release, figure you likley got it too but thought I'd mention it since you mentioned purchasing a standard, just in case.

Most likely the I1 will get it too, I would still either keep Solo or get P3S because it's a whole lot smaller and would serve me better in close quarters.

Nicely done Dodge. Well shot and edited.

Reactions: DodgeP
Maybe you are suggesting the wrong target, maybe Guinn is targeting Wang...and this is all that the Chairman has as a counter attack...another product tier. Still can't deliver the goods and offering another product.

I have no doubt it started out that way and I would not blame him as Wang is a dick.

But you can bet that Wang will do everything he can to take 3DR out.

As far as all they have as a counter attack, they are smarter than that. 3DR is playing catchup and will for a while.

It is fun to watch how fast and interestingly this market is evolving. It is a little like the early days of the consumer market for computers. Remember when Apple catered to just the creative artist group? Everyone else had to get a PC. Photography is not pushing this market, FPV is. And there are lots of folks in RC, or not, that don't own a GoPro but love what the the quads can do with FPV. And the 'price point' for each one is as varied as it is for fixed-wing RC...foamies to jets. I don't think open architecture is a hugh selling point where all the components, including the airframe, are changing and the hobbist will want the latest-and-greatest cool gadget. If 3DR is betting on great service and open architecture to justify a higher price point in a "throw-away" market that is so rapidly evolving, they may not get the market share they think they will. Just my 2-cents.

It is fun to watch how fast and interestingly this market is evolving. It is a little like the early days of the consumer market for computers. Remember when Apple catered to just the creative artist group? Everyone else had to get a PC. Photography is not pushing this market, FPV is. And there are lots of folks in RC, or not, that don't own a GoPro but love what the the quads can do with FPV. And the 'price point' for each one is as varied as it is for fixed-wing RC...foamies to jets. I don't think open architecture is a hugh selling point where all the components, including the airframe, are changing and the hobbist will want the latest-and-greatest cool gadget. If 3DR is betting on great service and open architecture to justify a higher price point in a "throw-away" market that is so rapidly evolving, they may not get the market share they think they will. Just my 2-cents.
"throw-away" market? Please define..
Thanks

As for market share, Thanks god there is "Choice" DJI really HAD the market cornered, from a consumer point of view. I agree 3DR has catching up, I think they offer/ will offer a good alternative.& be a round for a long, long time. Like apple LOL....

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Throw-away may not be the most descriptive. My only point is that 3DR, with the Solo, is appealing to single camera and open architecture in a market that IMO, is being driven by the FPV and the ability to experience RC with a very stable, "dumb-thumb" proof experience and expanded that experience to something you can do in your backyard! No doubt the ammeter photographer is a part of the market but I don't think it is a large part. And since there is, (1) as with computers, a rapidly evolving technology that makes it possible to provide more ability for less $ and (2) a demand for the greatest-and-latest, I don't think a single camera platform and open architecture are that important. Not a lot of quad buyers have GoPros nor care what camera it is if the video quality is good/great. I don't pretend to know the capabilities or future, but the design of the airframe and added features and abilities like retractable gear, 360-degree view, aerobatic, etc. (I have no idea and don't think few can predict) with great picture quality at consumer prices, regardless of the specific camera, may overshadow 3DR's approach to a single camera design and open architecture. By example, I don't know who makes the Apple or Samsung camera and I don't care. It is merely a component to the device that provides the capabilities I like. But as I pointed out, everything is changing so fast and we are limiting our comparisons to Phantom vs Solo. I think DJI expanded that perspective with the V1 and I am sure it will have a less expensive off-spring. And so it goes....

Added thought: The elephant in the room is the government. With a firmware upgrade they can change where and how we fly anything. So what products we may have in the future will depend on how the least intelligent among us use their quads.

Last edited:
As for market share, Thanks god there is "Choice" DJI really HAD the market cornered, from a consumer point of view. I agree 3DR has catching up, I think they offer/ will offer a good alternative.& be a round for a long, long time. Like apple LOL....

Amen

"I am in competition with myself and I'm losing"...Roger Waters

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela