Solo Might Be Dead

While on the Inspire1 Pilots site I saw the advert for the new P3 Standard (http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/feature) .. Scrolled to the bottom of the page and saw POI (Orbit), Waypoints, Follow Me to be coming soon. I think this will cause problems if 3DR doesn't tighten up the Solo line really quickly.

It has been coming soon since before the P3... There is also a difference in "how". The Solo is based on open source (PixHawk and Ardupilot) which means people can change and add to the programming, sensors, hardware, etc. etc..

DJI is a closed system based on NAZA and has only an API. It doesn't mean a lot to people now. But it is the equivilant to MAC vs PC... Upgrades on PC's exploded. Not so much for MAC's

DJI knows this, except in this case, they can't easily claim the high end with new products, as they already did that with Inspire and Matrice, and with such bad service they don't have Apple like "customer experience" so they will go cheap and will try to compete on price. They will come out with something cheaper... You watch. Still not "upgradable" though. The idea is to buy a new one every year... No thanks.

Update... Ooops. Saw the link and the new "standard" model.. I knew it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Mklepack
I agree with @Earldgrayjr regarding its been coming for a while. Hard to say when it will show up. DJI should be embarrassed to keep posting that as if its available. Course rumors say it might ship with the standard out of the box.

I personally think whatever DJI does for POI, follow, appoints, etc. will probably be good enough for 90% of users. The Pixhawk/arducopter setup should always be better but its only going to catering to those 10% that want more.

I am betting that when they do release those features it will be a clean up to date interface.

Earl,

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the supposedly open source of 3DR and to most consumers open or closed source means nothing. The average consumer isn't swapping out parts on a quad, I can promise you that. I think the update will be released when or before the new P3S hits shelves.

It has been coming soon since before the P3... There is also a difference in "how". The Solo is based on open source (PixHawk and Ardupilot) which means people can change and add to the programming, sensors, hardware, etc. etc..

DJI is a closed system based on NAZA and has only an API. It doesn't mean a lot to people now. But it is the equivilant to MAC vs PC... Upgrades on PC's exploded. No so much ffor MAC's

DJI knows this, except in this case, they can't easily claim the high end with new products, as they already did that with Inspire and Matrice, and with such bad service they don't have Apple like "customer experience" so they will go cheap and will try to compete on price. They will come out with something cheaper... You watch. Still not "upgradable" though. The idea is to buy a new one every year... No thanks.

Update... Ooops. Saw the link and the new "standard" model.. I knew it :)

Hmm, I don't see it this way. DJI just came out with a $799 model for a "drone" that is RTF out of the box which in my opinion is targeted at the consumer and not the hobbyist. Once they get this in big box stores like Walmart and Best Buy (in store) when you have them sitting side by side next to a 3DR Solo which one do you think people are more likely to purchase for themselves or a family member?

Reactions: DodgeP
At an $800 price point for an out of the box product. You're already looking at a 2:1 ratio on equipment. Buy 1 Solo or buy 2 P3S's. With the P3A and P3P the price points aren't as close.

My first thoughts about it were negative. Dodge as I am sure you will agree after having Lightbridge it would be hard to go back to V+ technology.

Then I rethought it. I love flying missions. Doing so with a Solo or P3P is less enjoyable for ME because I cant afford to lose it in the river or places I fly missions.

However I could probably stomach losing a standard. That and since it flies with the same battery as its big brothers and does not have light bridge or optical to add to the current draw it will go a long way on a battery.

It also adds an extra battery and charger to my arsenal.

Only downside is the 2.7k is not the normal Sony sensor like the other rigs and GoPro.

Thinking about it :)

At an $800 price point for an out of the box product. You're already looking at a 2:1 ratio on equipment. Buy 1 Solo or buy 2 P3S's. With the P3A and P3P the price points aren't as close.

Not only that but they have undercut the Parrot Bebop w/ Sky Controller bundle.

Thank goodness I sold my P2V+. The market is going to crash for those now.

Thank goodness I sold my P2V+. The market is going to crash for those now.
LOL, exactly.

Should be able to buy a V+ in the $400 range ! Few months ago V+ cameras cost that much used.

However I could probably stomach losing a standard. That and since it flies with the same battery as its big brothers and does not have light bridge or optical to add to the current draw it will go a long way on a battery.

This is exactly what a bunch of people are probably thinking. No one ever wants to lose money but you might take bigger risks when your reward to risk ratio is higher than it has ever been in the past.

I had more fun with my V+ in the last 3 months after the P3 devalued it than anything. Cheap buy in for fun !

I'd find it very hard to believe anybody would buy one I'm sure somebody would but 200 bucks to have a much better controller indoor sensors and light bridge.

Seems like only someone with very limited knowledge or like McCabe just wanting a throw away is their target. You can get a p2 h3 or p2v+ for half that all day now I don't get the point if you want 2.7k get a p2 and use the Hero everybody already has. I think this model is a mistake I got an email early this morning acting like it's coming I thought in the next week or so I'll have to check though. I'd have a real hard time buying a half p3, p2 clone. Much rather get advance or pro for the difference but how can they offer standard shooting better quality than advance I doubt these do well for either version. I do like to just spend for the better one initially knowing I'll end up doing it later and with DJI that means buying a whole new bird no matter what.

I'd find it very hard to believe anybody would buy one I'm sure somebody would but 200 bucks to have a much better controller indoor sensors and light bridge.

Seems like only someone with very limited knowledge or like McCabe just wanting a throw away is their target. You can get a p2 h3 or p2v+ for half that all day now I don't get the point if you want 2.7k get a p2 and use the Hero everybody already has. I think this model is a mistake I got an email early this morning acting like it's coming I thought in the next week or so I'll have to check though. I'd have a real hard time buying a half p3 p2

So with that kind of thought, do you think more people purchased a Phantom Advanced or a Phantom 3 Professional?

If it were me I'd buy the pro to extend life since 4ks going to be passed before long, even though that's not likley to help much with the tech moving forward but to get just barley above a p2 for double the price and 200 even 100 some places getting an advance it just doesn't make sense to me. If your dying over 100 or 200 bucks your likley not shopping for 1000 dollar toys and probably in a hobby that's going to break you.

With something like p3 or solo buying a stepped down model makes no sense even the top model will be outdated soon so where's the lesser one going to be.

The techs just moving way too fast its like buying a PS3 knowing 4s out and it's clocks ticking In tech to me at least trying to be cheap is much more expensive in the long run.

If it were me I'd buy the pro to extend life since 4ks going to be passed before long, even though that's not likley to help much with the tech moving forward but to get just barley above a p2 for double the price and 200 even 100 some places getting an advance it just doesn't make sense to me. If your dying over 100 or 200 bucks your likley not shopping for 1000 dollar toys and probably in a hobby that's going to break you.

We are talking about average consumers here, not hobbyist or prosumers.

Reactions: RichWest
I guess but seems like a bad move none the less it's just a relaunch of p2v+ or am I missing something beside the shiny stickers.

I think for people on the fence that $200 is more significant than the P3A to P3P price difference.

For my only UAV there is no way I would not spend the extra $200 and get the advanced. It seems ridiculous to give up light-bridge and the better Sony Sensor over $200.

But I have wasted more money on hobbies than I care to admit buying updates of little real value :(

Comes down to is $799 more palatable for the average consumer regardless of what you get.

Not to mention for the unknowing it appears DJI just released a new model with better camera for $200 less.

That was my first impression. I thought WTF.

Don't you guys think that at least 50% of DJIs customers are new and will never figure out what they are missing for the $200??

Phantom, 2.7k, $799....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc