mRobotics M8N GPS

If you use the stock shield, you need to include a 1.25" square or so piece of cardboard to "prevent shorting". This is from the install video that Jordi put out. I used the new shield and did not include the cardboard.

Can we confirm what Mr. Lawrence posted little while back? Is this the recommended practice? Can anyone link the install video? Or can I just drop the mRo unit in with all stock setup still there, shielding and all. Furthermore, unit orientation - i assume the GPS connector shall stay on the same side as the stock?

OK, adding to the thred. I just installed one of mrobotics (Jordi) GPS M8N upgrade for the Solo. mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade
It is plug and play, VERY easy installation. I live under a tree canopy, and needless to say, the stock GPS was for chit! The new one found 6 sats in about 2/3 minutes, COLD startup. Kinda hung there, so I flew, and tried cable cam for the first time. Worked great. Shut it down, new battery, fired it back up in the same spot, and 10, then 12, then 14 sats, in a minute! It's worth the price, being plug and play. No programming of the GPS needed. And Jordi seems like a good guy, just got caught up in the 3DR mess.

Installed mine last week, very easy, just plug in and screw back on. waaaay faster satellite connection. Very Happy.

Yup..installed mine that I got for Christmas and it took a few minutes initially to acquire the sats and I was able to see 24 sats. I was flying in the desert in a wide open space.
World of difference.

As a side note, they are selling these to 3DR for their Site Scan Solo.

I was wandering, with the new GPS upgrade, do I really need to upgrade the network card in my solo and controller?

If you're asking this question, I think you misunderstand what you're even asking. The two are completely unrelated and do completely different things. One does not interact with or effect the other. Swapping the WiFi cards can extend the range of the radio link between the solo and the controller. Swapping the GPS makes the GPS position lock faster, stronger, and, more accurate.

Reactions: SARDG
While we're close to the topic, I just received 2 of the "upgrade" Wi-Fi cards today. I haven't seen any actual figures yet, as to whether they are much better than stock, or not. It is a bit of an ordeal to install them.
"UPDATE" Just got done installing the Wi-Fi upgrade to the solo and the transmitter. Quite a touchy job for an old man with so-so eyes! But it seems to work. Will test range tomorrow, it's dark now :-(
What db readings are youz guys getting when sitting next to the Solo? I'm getting 23/24. I thought it might be lower with these new cards. Yup I still got a lot to learn. BUT having a ball!:):):):p:p

OK, OK, the decibel reading I was looking at is on my Galaxy Tablet. If I put it next to Solo, it goes down to "0" also I have all bars showing on the transmitter, so I'm pretty confident everything's a go!

Last edited:
Is it possible to use an alternative GPS module like this to provide improved satellite reception? I am thinking it could be mounted externally away from the internal electronics. I am comfortable with rewiring to compatible connectors and other modification.

Is it possible to use an alternative GPS module like this to provide improved satellite reception? I am thinking it could be mounted externally away from the internal electronics. I am comfortable with rewiring to compatible connectors and other modification.
Why would you want to mount externally? You'll still need to connect it to the GPS internal Solo connections. When you take that black plastic disc apart, the GPS board is inside. Some of these even work, but generally require soldering OR finding the correct connector and trading out pins in those existing connectors. In other words, if you don't get a counterfeit module, they will likely work better than Rev A or B, but are a PITA to install.

some folks have put modules on a mast on solo before
meh
the single best bet for solo is the Mrobitic M8N bar none the best solution as it is plug and play and I have heard 0 people who got it complain
I can tell you first hand it blows away rev A and rev B with the new shield

Reactions: Anthony Horrigan
some folks have put modules on a mast on solo before
meh
the single best bet for solo is the Mrobitic M8N bar none the best solution as it is plug and play and I have heard 0 people who got it complain
I can tell you first hand it blows away rev A and rev B with the new shield
Many of those disc GPS come with a mast, but that seems to be another appendage to get caught on something for storage, carriage, even flight. The advantage of these cheaper modules is that they are... cheap. :confused:

While we're close to the topic, I just received 2 of the "upgrade" Wi-Fi cards today. I haven't seen any actual figures yet, as to whether they are much better than stock, or not. It is a bit of an ordeal to install them.
"UPDATE" Just got done installing the Wi-Fi upgrade to the solo and the transmitter. Quite a touchy job for an old man with so-so eyes! But it seems to work. Will test range tomorrow, it's dark now :-(
What db readings are youz guys getting when sitting next to the Solo? I'm getting 23/24. I thought it might be lower with these new cards. Yup I still got a lot to learn. BUT having a ball!:):):):p:p

OK, OK, the decibel reading I was looking at is on my Galaxy Tablet. If I put it next to Solo, it goes down to "0" also I have all bars showing on the transmitter, so I'm pretty confident everything's a go!

The stock wifi boards are 500mw whereas the higher output boards are 800mw. You should be able to see a difference. However, when dealing with wireless, antennas are everything. Even more so than higher power.
Be prepared to see a little less flight time as well. Higher power equals more current draw= less battery life. Though it may be negligible. I haven't tried one.

Let us know how it goes.

Hi Rick.. I just did a GPS swap on my 3 week old BB Solo.
I used this module from Ebay.. If you can do the soldering its an easy mod. I went from 12 sats to 20 with this $20 puck. Ublox NEO-M8N Flight Controller GPS & Compass with Shell for APM 2.6 APM2.8 FPV

If you are confused at all check 2min 5 sec into the video. There are only 4 wires to hook up.. The two extra wires (i think were orange and blue) I unwound them from the torriod and cut the wires off at the connector.
I mounted it where the original gps was. The new gps has a thick piece of double sticky mounting tape and I used this right on the patch antenna to stick it back in the original gps position. You will find two of the screws will clamp the edge of the board making it even more secure.
ReInstall the copper shield. You will find one of the "clamp" screws lines up and will secure it ...
There is nothing wrong with a counterfeit gps module. 90% of the ones out there are counterfeit and work great. lol

This is the video

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Thanks to all who shared their thoughts. Tom, thank you for detailing your experience. It's good to know that simple mods can be done to really improve the reliability of the GPS function. I do have a lot of experience with electronic component builds and repairs so this looks to be on the simple side. TYVM.

There is nothing wrong with a counterfeit gps module. 90% of the ones out there are counterfeit and work great. lol

Yes and no. Counterfeit modules will work fine, but often not as well as genuine and/or higher quality units. I have several, including one of the ~$20 RTFQ M8Ns, and tested it against the Solo's stock GPS, as well as a Drotek M8N. The Drotek got considerably more satellites than stock (not surprisingly) had quite a bit lower HDOP and drifted less. The RTFQ got similar satellites as the Drotek, but had a higher HDOP and drifted more than the stock Solo GPS. Additionally, when the uBlox 3.01 firmware came out that added support for a 3rd satellite system, I updated all my M8Ns... All the genuine units updated fine, while the counterfeit RTFQ M8N was bricked in the process.

So they do work, and I'm fine with them on cheap home built quads, but I personally wouldn't trust them with my Solo, carrying my $400 camera, and don't expect to be able to update the firmware. Everyone's free to do as they please, of course.

If the mRo's $80 price is too much, I would highly recommend a Drotek unit over an eBay counterfeit. The standard M8N without compass (which you don't need on a Solo anyway) is only $11 more than the eBay ones, AND you'll be able to update the firmware: Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board

Reactions: SARDG
Had I been aware of the Drotek unit when I was shopping I am sure I would of gone that way.
However the $20 gps is working for me and I don't anticipate the need to update.
That being said it is beneficial for us to know all the options.
This forum is a great knowledge base for Solo.

Had I been aware of the Drotek unit when I was shopping I am sure I would of gone that way.
However the $20 gps is working for me and I don't anticipate the need to update.
That being said it is beneficial for us to know all the options.
This forum is a great knowledge base for Solo.

I've flown with the Rev A board, without any issues, however like a lot of the members here, I'm looking to upgrade for the security of a lower HDOP. While I believe the M8N plug and play board is vastly superior to the stock Rev A board, is it really necessary? Spending $$85 to prevent a fly away drone is certainly worth it, but what's everyone's opinion on just keeping it stock? A $90 upgrade on a $299 drone is a significant percentage. Plus, if you throw in the GPS Shield at another $29.99 plus shipping, it's almost 1/2 the current price of the drone package.

The board where you'd have to wire it yourself seems much more reasonably priced, what's everyone's thoughts on that, vs the plug and play option.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44