mRobotics M8N GPS

Reaction score
Most of you probably know about this unit, designed by Jordi Munoz, one of the founders of 3D Robotics. When it was initially described as "beta" or something like that, I held off awaiting whatever improvements might be made.

I noticed last week that it dropped the beta tag, is now listed as "Release 2", and I figured what the heck... While I've never had an issue with the stock GPS beside sometimes long lock times, the fact that it often wouldn't pick up more than 6 or 8 satellites concerned me. I've read all the arguments about the susceptibility of the M8N to interference and loss of satellites, but in my thinking, having a narrow band unit that's less susceptible to interference, but is at times only 1 to 2 satellites away from loosing a fix, isn't all together better than a wide band unit that might loose a satellite or two, but is still comfortably 10 satellites away from loosing a fix.

Anyway, I replaced one of my GPSs with a Drotek M8N with decent results, but this one is amazing. I started up my Solo in our townhouse courtyard, which is surrounded by 2 story units, so not the clearest view of the sky. Within a minute of the first start, I had 15 satellites and an HDOP of 1... with the stock, I'd never see more than 7 in this location. I then took the Solo to a local field with a nice clear view of the sky, turned it on and before I could clip my phone into the controller, it was ready to fly with 20 satellites and an HDOP of .6. There was no twitching, no wandering, position holds were rock steady.

Really impressed and if I had the need to have more than one Solo in the sky at the same time, I wouldn't hesitate buying these for the others.

If anyone else was holding off waiting for other's experiences, count me in the satisfied column. Here's a link to the unit:

mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2)

Mine arrives Tuesday, I avoided the jump to m8
but considering the source of this one, and the glowing endorsements
not to mention this is what the new PH2 is going to ship with.
Looking forward to giving it a spin.
Never had major GPS issues with solo other than slow lock times and a battery falling off that was replaced by 3DR

Reactions: Travelfox
I received my first one last week and was so impressed, I bought another. I installed it in my office and even though I was indoors, I got 8 sats and a lock in 35 seconds. The next day I went to my test area and had a lock in 8 seconds with 12 satellites. That's 8 seconds from when the Solo connects to the controller and no longer says 'Waiting on Solo'. Very impressed with this unit. Jordi says he is working on other products as well, but not sure what they are. But I have no doubt they will be impressive also.

I would imagine a lot is going to depend on how well this gps sells
it would be a good indicator to him that developing for solo is a good idea.
given his background the possibilities are quite interesting

Yup, and the Release 2 version elongates one of the mounting holes to account for Solo's asymmetric hole pattern. It's clearly built for the Solo, screws right in place of the stock one and uses the stock cable.

One can't help but wonder how things would be if Solo had shipped with a unit like this.

Just ordered one! Like the idea of a better satellite constellation. Would be nice to have rtk capabilities. I'll pay for rtk chip if it doesn't involve too much tinkering.....;)

Just ordered one! Like the idea of a better satellite constellation. Would be nice to have rtk capabilities. I'll pay for rtk chip if it doesn't involve too much tinkering.....;)

I'm sure you'll be satisfied with it. They seem to be selling pretty well, when I placed my order Friday, there were about 110 left, I just checked, and there's now 45.

It's taking all my self control not to order 2 more, these Best Buy sales have done a heck of a job on my budget! :p

does this GPS module require the new "Solo GPS Shield V2"

OR can you just re-use the foil that came with Solo?

The details on the site says "shielding not needed but recommended". I take that to mean the stock copper foil shield would be fine, but I took the V2 shield from one of my Solos to put in with this since it's now my main Solo. I figured there was no point having the shield in a Solo just sitting on a shelf.

That would be a Jordi question, but my guess is he is using what ever the better one is.
they had a version 1 that was beta and a few people ordered and tested them and then they went into a second production. So they must be selling ok

It's coming with PH2 but not cheap 600ish
For that price......would it come with a base setup then? .....just curious....I know I'm asking for a lot, but I would like to have L1/L2 frequencies on a rtk unit...redundancy will definitely improve the gps solution a ton!

What's the difference between version 1 and 2? The link info states this, "Remember we are using NEO-M8N-01, 'Professional grade.' "[/QUOTE]

Not entirely sure, the only thing the page mentioned in "this revision" is the elongated mounting hole to accommodate the Solo's pattern. It does say that Ublox inspected it and they followed all their recommendations, but I have no idea if that also applied to first version. I forget who, but a few people here bought the first version and have been using it.

Reactions: Coastwise
Wow, in the last 45 minutes, the stock has dropped to 39. I'd better order one soon.

Speaking of the 3DR shield... is there a known currently valid 1/2 price code still out there? When I had only 2 Solos, I bought 3 shields. Who knew I would buy a 4th Solo??

I think you need an even 5!!
Haven't heard of a valid code lately.

Reactions: SARDG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig