mRobotics M8N GPS

I just ordered a M8n also. Thanks for the info everyone.

regarding 3dR support and 3rd party software...that is one of the first questions they asked me when my SD card popped out on the controller! What does that have to do with it...of course nothing. :(

Here's the email:
Hello Thomas,
Thanks for reaching 3D Robotics Tech support. I hope you're having a great day.
I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your Solo, but I'll be more than happy to assist you. Would you mind telling me the following, please?
  • Is this a new Solo?
  • Have you had any crashes?
  • Which color are the lights on Solo's arms?
  • What's the message shown on the Controller?
  • Have you used another software to control Solo besides the Solo app? (Tower, Mission Planner)
  • Is the orange light below Solo blinking or solid?

just bought the M8n, and looking forward to doing a comparison from stock

Just sent Jordi an email to see what satellite systems he would need to configure into the board to work effectively here in Australia, if any changes are needed. Also if he will ship to Australia too. Will see what he says I guess.

As far as configuration, there is no chance needed for use in Australia.

And now it's at 13 ;)
Make that 12. I've never had a single problem with GPS other than kinda sluggish acquisition times... but the idea of 15+ satellites tickles me to death.

When someone receives their version 2 M8N board, could you please post a clear picture of it along side the Solo's original. Both sides please.
Thanks in advance...

Finally got a chance to fly mine and it works awesome. I nearly double my satellites and the positional hold is a lot better than my Rev B can manage. I guess I need to order a second one and replace the GPS in the Rev B too. I use my solos for shooting real estate as well as just gathering stock video. The better positional hold will make some of the shots I do for real estate a lot smoother and easier to do.

I installed this version. I updated firmware through USB and set on GLONASS.
Ublox NEO-M8 GPS breakout board

Can you share what firmware you used? I have the same unit in one of my Solos, and would like to update the firmware on it, but I've been unable to determine which is the correct one. I keep seeing warnings that "this firmware is ONLY for high precision units" and "this firmware is ONLY for standard precision units", and I can find no clear indicating of which is used on the Drotek.

Boy that was fast - sold out! Glad I got my order in first - was thinking of getting a couple more for my spares - spare spares, guess you could say.

Reactions: SARDG
Boy that was fast - sold out! Glad I got my order in first - was thinking of getting a couple more for my spares - spare spares, guess you could say.
Good idea... I only got one spare shield, then bought 2 more Solos. :( Just ordered 2 more shields - which is only one spare. No spare spares again! :eek:

Can you please clarify what you mean by that Mode-S?

Thanks.
GNSS works the same all over the globe - apart from "special" places (e.g places of war) were they disable the civil satellite coverage or even put error into the satellite data to make is useless.

You can use the same GNSS anywhere on the globe. Were things differ around the world has to do with satellite orbits and what can be seen on the "ground". When any GNSS starts in "cooled" mode (non added start) the unit has no idea were on earth it is, be it in Antarctica or driving down a your local street, the same process is used to find a position. So a GPS that works in US will work in Australia without configuration changes because that is what it is designed to do.

So don't worry as the UBlox unit will automatically control what satellite to use.

Reactions: Chardia
GNSS works the same all over the globe - apart from "special" places (e.g places of war) were they disable the civil satellite coverage or even put error into the satellite data to make is useless.

You can use the same GNSS anywhere on the globe. Were things differ around the world has to do with satellite orbits and what can be seen on the "ground". When any GNSS starts in "cooled" mode (non added start) the unit has no idea were on earth it is, be it in Antarctica or driving down a your local street, the same process is used to find a position. So a GPS that works in US will work in Australia without configuration changes because that is what it is designed to do.

So don't worry as the UBlox unit will automatically control what satellite to use.

Thanks heaps for that. really appreciate your detail on this. so now its just a matter of whether I can even get them delivered to australia.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M