mRobotics M8N GPS

Others are compatible, but I think quality is the key point here, at least it is for me. I have a 1/2 dozen M8Ns, and none of them perform like this one. Jordi indicates uBlox evaluated the design and he implemented all their suggestions. It's quality in construction, components and design.
Please kindly note that both commented GPS's are produced by mRobotics.

Others are compatible, but I think quality is the key point here, at least it is for me. I have a 1/2 dozen M8Ns, and none of them perform like this one. Jordi indicates uBlox evaluated the design and he implemented all their suggestions. It's quality in construction, components and design.
The fact that Jordi went to uBlox to have the design reviewed means much more to me that having a cheap M8N. This is why I'll be getting one when funds open up.

Please kindly note that both commented GPS's are produced by mRobotics.
If you're fine recommending the module with the wrong connectors to new Solo owners who will later be disappointed when they find out they then have to go and get a cable adapter just to make it work, then sure, this other version Jordi produced will work just fine.

The point being made is that both the modules for sale on the mRobotics website are excellent M8N modules. One is a drop in replacement for the Solo. The other is what you would use for other flight controllers like the Pixhawk, PixRacer, or various APM variants. The "newer" one for non-Solo multi rotors (without any mods/adapters) by Jordi is different because it has the compass integrated and a different GPS antenna that theoretically a little more optimized for GLONASS with slightly higher gain. Pointing out with text from the description stating it's compatible with Solo is going to be misleading for new Solo users. mRobotics just copy/pasted some of the description and added a few other things to it. While it's definitely possible for them to have tested the GPS/compass module on a Solo, it's unlikely given the target for that module is for other flight controllers.

Both are quality devices from mRobotics, both are technically compatible with Solo, however, new users will be confused if you push that they're both compatible with Solo unless you put in the caveat that you need adapters or need to make your own to make it work properly with Solo. I would venture to say that 95% of new Solo owners aren't necessarily going to be the DIY type that could make an adapter on their own so in the off chance the drop in module is sold out and the other is available, they would be disappointed when they find out it technically works with Solo but actually needs an adapter they likely would not have thought to buy to work with Solo.

Reactions: SARDG
mailed jordy about the new device and this was his answer:

The new GPS with compass is not compatible with Solo, it was aimed for autopilot systems like PixHawk or PixRacer.
The new antenna is more powerful but it was not tested for Solo. The Solo GPS upgrade was developed considering Solo "special" noise characteristics, that causes the Stock Solo GPS perform poorly under certain conditions.

If you're fine recommending the module with the wrong connectors to new Solo owners who will later be disappointed when they find out they then have to go and get a cable adapter just to make it work, then sure, this other version Jordi produced will work just fine.

The point being made is that both the modules for sale on the mRobotics website are excellent M8N modules. One is a drop in replacement for the Solo. The other is what you would use for other flight controllers like the Pixhawk, PixRacer, or various APM variants. The "newer" one for non-Solo multi rotors (without any mods/adapters) by Jordi is different because it has the compass integrated and a different GPS antenna that theoretically a little more optimized for GLONASS with slightly higher gain. Pointing out with text from the description stating it's compatible with Solo is going to be misleading for new Solo users. mRobotics just copy/pasted some of the description and added a few other things to it. While it's definitely possible for them to have tested the GPS/compass module on a Solo, it's unlikely given the target for that module is for other flight controllers.

Both are quality devices from mRobotics, both are technically compatible with Solo, however, new users will be confused if you push that they're both compatible with Solo unless you put in the caveat that you need adapters or need to make your own to make it work properly with Solo. I would venture to say that 95% of new Solo owners aren't necessarily going to be the DIY type that could make an adapter on their own so in the off chance the drop in module is sold out and the other is available, they would be disappointed when they find out it technically works with Solo but actually needs an adapter they likely would not have thought to buy to work with Solo.
You are correct saying that mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass is not compatible with Solo. You are not correct saying that I recommend it. I was trying to find if mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass is a better upgrade for Solo. Just started a discussion, nothing more. I could not recommend it as I have not installed one on my Solo.

Talked to Jordi, here is his reply with regard to mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass:
Q: Is mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass a plug-in (no mod) upgrade for Solo like mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade or it needs some mods to fit Solo? ANSWER: The mRo GPS with HMC5983 is not compatible with Solo. You would need to solder some wires to enable the i2c line in your Solo GPS port.
Q: What are the benefits of using mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass over mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade on Solo? Does it have a better GPS reception (it is written that it provides a higher gain compared to any of its predecessors (from 1.5dBi to 5dBi)than mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade? ANSWER: The "mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N / 3DR SOLO Upgrade" was designed for Solo and overcome the internal noise "issues" that prevents the Stock GPS to perform well.
The "mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass" is intended to be used with "other" drones using PixHawk or PixRacer.

BTW they have just increased the price of mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N + HMC5983 Compass with 5 USD.

Is this upgrade a straight plug in and go?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes they are, out with the old one in with the new one. All you need to do is unplug the old one and plug in the new one and you're all set. On your first startup after installing that new GPS give a minute for Solo to configure the gps .

Before the install I was getting around 6-8 satellites on the stock gps, with the new module in the Solo I'm getting 24-26 satellites within seconds, I even get a lock in my house with like 14 sat's.

Reactions: truoccm
First flight this morning with the new GPS. Its pretty windy up here in N. Jersey today and Solo was rock solid! I was shocked I got almost 20 satellites!!! I think it was either 17 or 19, I cant remember but it was WAY more than stock. I live in a very densely populated area and I'm a little concerned about traveling too far out and losing the wifi signal. I wish there was a plug N play mod for the wifi that works just good as this GPS mod. Highly recommended.

Line of sight! If you're in a densely populated area - sort of like I am - I'm careful to keep an eagle eye on my craft. Way, way to great a chance for a very expensive - and possibly criminal - crash.
That being said, extra stability never hurts and a new antenna should fit your needs.

Line of sight! If you're in a densely populated area - sort of like I am - I'm careful to keep an eagle eye on my craft. Way, way to great a chance for a very expensive - and possibly criminal - crash.
That being said, extra stability never hurts and a new antenna should fit your needs.

Very true! There's too much of a chance of someone or something getting hurt. I would like the extra insurance to combat all wifi interference in the area.

I tried to ask Jordi if they will send to Australia, but didnt receive any answers. Can someone who has more direct link to him ask the question and see what the story is for that please? It would be great to be able to get that sort of gear here too...

I read this thread and gave in an ordered the new GPS. I know nothing about the inner working of a drone and should be the last guy taking one apart to put a new part in, but I must say it was very easy and yes, like everyone has said the improvement is so worth the $79.

I was getting zero satellites with the drone sitting on my coffee table, but after the 15 minute change I was getting 9 in the same spot on the coffee table. Picked up a GPS lock and it fired up right there.

I took it not far out the door and had a quick lock with 19 satellites. I've never seen that many and I was under trees.

Well worth the cost. It did take a good 5-7 minutes to lock the first time after the change. Be patient.

yeah all good... few minutes for first acquisition, but fast after that.

Power lines etc have little to no impact on GPS in my experience (and I'm certainly not flying near tram lines).

My results very similar to others posts in this thread... I often get lock inside my house, usually 15-20 sats outside... HDOP pretty much always <1.0, but often 0.7

When I RTL, it's usually within 50cm of launch

Reactions: Chardia
Got my first few flights in with the new GPS. On the first flight I had 13 satellites within a minute and they maxed out at 23 with a hdop of .5 :) At first position hold did not seem much better than before but on the second flight it seemed to tighten up a bit. On the third flight I acquired satellites even faster so I'm thinking the first boot up there was some learning to do.

I did a few smart shots and they were tight, but they were before the upgrade so it will take a little longer to see the full benefits. Happy so far. It's reassuring to see over 20 satellites and .5 hdop even if in the real world there is not much added benefit.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M