Android 2.4 Beta and Solo FW (2.4.1.3) Update Available..

If you DL the Solo Beta from the Google Play store, when you first run it you will be told there is an update to Solo FW available (2.4.1.3). Update went as normal. On first bootup it required a level calibration. I would also recommend a compass cal first. Won't have a chance to fly today for testing. If you do, please post findings. The new Pano and Zip are in there. I'm more curious if issues others have had with 2.4 are addressed as well.

I run Andoid on Galaxy Tab A, and we never had any problems on the first update 2.4, and I will test SOLO later this weekend on the rest of the SW.
PS! From the beginning we have had Galaxy Tab A and SOLO working perfectly together. At the same time I have read about a lot of problems folks had with SOLO and any software, iOS and Android. Can not understand why. Any teories?

Most of the issues can be attributed to two things
the effort to rebase solo to arducopter and EKF-2 ran into problems and many of the development team were let go mid change. this would have bought us boat mode. sadly they are rolling back due to drifting problems.

Make sure you recalibrate doing compass first, then level. Do them well. I also added sticks and mine is pretty stable now except when it is very windy

As I said 3DR has bad testing program, any software/firmware company will release program notes and bug fix report setting up official procedure or contact for reporting bugs/findings by the testers. I found the solo beta when I was replacing the GPS shield. I ran the solo beta for almost a week now, so far not problem except still have same camera issue.
Every single version has had bugs. What makes it worse is some things aren't actual bugs, but rather changed behavior, yet they don't release the (complete) documentation at the same time as the updates so everybody is a guinea pig in that sense. I'm sure more than a few have crashed due to not understanding how Rewind works with RTH.

2.4 has been out for iOS for how long now? Any docs? Nope. But judging from most of the questions on these forums, not many people read them anyway lol as most of the questions asked over and over are answered in the user manual.

If you think 3DR has bad releases go fly a DJI
I have 3DR and DJI and few more from other vendors too. Overall Solo drift is well documented.

I have no taste to debate 3dr vs DJI, but then I don't have a blind eye for brand royalty nor wanting to color the findings.

then you should know, that DJI releases have nothing on 3DR when it comes to going out with bugs
the rest of what you typed is basically bashing someone for exactly what you just did.

Up until the recent cuts at 3DR their testing and releases were far superior to any other drone manufacturer
Your statement was at best hyperbole

If you have been a beta testers on other program, you must have received notice when they publish a new release. The new release will not be in public server that any one can access. You will have specific instructions for the test or release notes. I'm not a 3dr beta tester but I have ran every changes before most solo users do. I get notice when the git site changed
then you should know, that DJI releases have nothing on 3DR when it comes to going out with bugs
the rest of what you typed is basically bashing someone for exactly what you just did.

Up until the recent cuts at 3DR their testing and releases were far superior to any other drone manufacturer
Your statement was at best hyperbole

well I happen to be a beta tester.
the statement I take issue with is your comment that they have bad testing.
Incorrect statement, esp when compared to other manufacturers

well I happen to be a beta tester.
the statement I take issue with is your comment that they have bad testing.
Incorrect statement, esp when compared to other manufacturers
Good for you, did you sign any NDA or just downloaded the beta from net and ran the app without any instructions from 3dr?

they don't require an NDA and I have disclosed nothing.
you are just trying to distract from your apparent false statement

As I said 3DR has bad testing program, any software/firmware company will release program notes and bug fix report setting up official procedure or contact for reporting bugs/findings by the testers. I found the solo beta when I was replacing the GPS shield. I ran the solo beta for almost a week now, so far not problem except still have same camera issue.
I'm not an official Beta Tester and never signed up to be, but I am flying 2.4.1-3. Official testers (both Alpha and Beta) should have a firm grip on what they are actually experiencing and be able to articulate it to the company - "my Solo went nuts when....", or "I pressed one of the buttons and it flew off, maybe it had a button sticking and I didn't upgrade it...". Statements like those to the company (or even to this forum) make troubleshooting, diagnosis, and future SW/FW/HW changes difficult - to say the least. Valuable testers have to be objective in their reporting; probably difficult for some users who have just had $1500 worth of gear land in a lake or otherwise destruct in a crash.

At least the 3DR App(s) have 'Anonymous Feedback' if you choose to turn it on, and you can 'Rate this App' from within. Also, users may automatically generate Trouble Tickets and upload logs to 3DR. The logs should be indisputable evidence of what transpired. Overall, 3DR has many ways to receive user feedback to incorporate into future release candidates and then releases.

You may notice that I generally use the word "users" rather than "pilots" because I believe most Solo (and other RTF quads) are purchased and flown by non-pilots/non-software engineers and by weekend (drone) warriors. I'd say that although this forum sees a large amount of complaints from neophyte users, we also have a large contingent of actual A/C owners/pilots and techies on here to balance it out - those and others who can offer objective feedback.

Last edited:
If you DL the Solo Beta from the Google Play store, when you first run it you will be told there is an update to Solo FW available (2.4.1.3). Update went as normal. On first bootup it required a level calibration. I would also recommend a compass cal first. Won't have a chance to fly today for testing. If you do, please post findings. The new Pano and Zip are in there. I'm more curious if issues others have had with 2.4 are addressed as well.
hello,I can not find the new app link, can you please explain to me how to find it? I clicked on your link it went to appl play store than I typed in the who link still nothing please help? [email protected] thank you in advance for any or all help, I already updatd my tx and solo a month ago just need android app updated

hello,I can not find the new app link, can you please explain to me how to find it? I clicked on your link it went to appl play store than I typed in the who link still nothing please help? [email protected] thank you in advance for any or all help, I already updatd my tx and solo a month ago just need android app updated
I know you don't want to - but read this entire thread. Some cannot locate 2.4.3-1 Beta on Google Play... some can. Read the thread for any other tips.

they don't require an NDA and I have disclosed nothing.
you are just trying to distract from your apparent false statement
In other words, you are just running a beta version of the app like I did. The only difference is I don't confuse myself as a beta tester.

BTW, if you are in a true tester group, telling other that you are a tester will violate the NDA and may suffer legal consequences.

...BTW, if you are in a true tester group, telling other that you are a tester will violate the NDA and may suffer legal consequences.
That would depend on 3DR's Beta Tester Agreement that a prospective Beta Tester would have to agree to - or not. Normally, a company would need that signed NDA (non-disclosure agreement) for protection or legal action and proof that the NDA was violated.

That would depend on 3DR's Beta Tester Agreement that a prospective Beta Tester would have to agree to - or not. Normally, a company would need that signed NDA (non-disclosure agreement) for protection or legal action and proof that the NDA was violated.
The NDA serves twofold. One prevent the testers disclose the program detail, second, protect the tester from potential financial loss. When the company involves in product liability law suit, the lawyer will go after every known parties involved in the product. The identifiable tester may be forced to give deposition or in rare case get fines.

So even I ran every version before most users did, I don't call myself tester let alone confused myself as 'beta" tester. I may call myself daredevil user but not "beta" tester.

Go to Google play store, search for "3dr" or "3dr solo beta"

The NDA serves twofold. One prevent the testers disclose the program detail, second, protect the tester from potential financial loss. When the company involves in product liability law suit, the lawyer will go after every known parties involved in the product. The identifiable tester may be forced to give deposition or in rare case get fines..
So you've read the 3DR Robotics Beta NDA for Solo?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44