Android 2.4 Beta and Solo FW (2.4.1.3) Update Available..

How could it not be legit - 2.4.1-3 Beta (App) is out there for the asking; 3dr can take it down at any time. And it isn't an update - yet. It installs as a separate App and 2.3 still resides on your phone or tablet. Not all the settings transferred to 2.4.1-3 though, and it took a couple of minutes to go through 2.4.1-3 and reset things. I didn't have any CCs saved in 2.3.

Now, the App does update the Solo and Controller FW to 2.4.1-3 as well. I haven't tried using the 2.3 App again, with the new FW.

Installs as a separate app with 2.3 still residing, OK, I can try it then. Thanks for the clarification.

GPS lock in 30 seconds? Is that fast for your particular system? Sounds quick to me and my GPS lock with 2.4 Beta seemed unusually quick with Rev B and cardboard.
Hey Sardg, I have been one of the lucky ones that has always had good results from my GPS. Rarely did I have to wait more than a minute. With the new shield added, it has sped it up from that. It's generally ready by the time I am.

Installs as a separate app with 2.3 still residing, OK, I can try it then. Thanks for the clarification.
Remember, the Beta App still updates the Solo and Controller FW from 2.4 to 2.4.1-3, from which I suppose, there is no return - except maybe a factory reset... not certain. And I have NOT used the old 2.3 App with the new 2.4.1-3 FW updated bird and controller.

Ugh... too many different versions of this and that and the other thing!

Hey Sardg, I have been one of the lucky ones that has always had good results from my GPS. Rarely did I have to wait more than a minute. With the new shield added, it has sped it up from that. It's generally ready by the time I am.
I remember you saying that now. I need to take my Solo for a ride to get a cold GPS boot and see if it still seems to have improved - but I got 10 satellites inside, and quickly right after the update. Never before.

Thank you for your reports - they are always intelligent, mostly succinct, and generally coherent. o_O :)

Remember, the Beta App still updates the Solo and Controller FW from 2.4 to 2.4.1-3, from which I suppose, there is no return - except maybe a factory reset... not certain. And I have NOT used the old 2.3 App with the new 2.4.1-3 FW updated bird and controller.

Ugh... too many different versions of this and that and the other thing!
Correct. A factory reset is the only way to downgrade.
The 2.4.1-3 beta firmware works perfectly well with the 2.3 Android app. No worries :)

Reactions: SARDG
Okey, confirmed that Solo 2.4.0 ( beta 2.4.1-3 I have not tested yet, but I am sure it is the same ) is now using SBAS/WAAS/DGPS* Sattelite assist. Mision Planner call it as *DGPS.

In my region/country ( Indonesia), I get NMEA #41 and #193 Sattelites, which are SBAS Sats.

Here I am seeing 5.58 meters of drift in 20 minutes, but Solo was under wooden material of the villa I stayed. It has brick walls to some side, so multipath signal I am sure exist.
Last Log - Start 8-33pm 29th July 2016 v4.JPG

Last Log - Start 8-33pm 29th July 2016 v1.JPG

Last Log - Start 8-33pm 29th July 2016 v2.JPG

Last Log - Start 8-33pm 29th July 2016 v3A.JPG

Those who are seeing faster GPS lock, perhaps this is why.
I do not see SBAS option was turned on in older firmware.

However , if SBAS signal come and go due to SBAS Sats position or blockage, maybe we get more position jump magnitude. I mean from average 10 meters accuracy of GPS only to 2-3 meters with WAAS assist, that is a big jump even with smoothing algo.

Maybe those who is seeing more drift during hoover, is seeing non WAAS assist ( for US region ), vs WAAS assist during the test/s.Best to see if you guys are actually getting USA WAAS, when drifting is minimum during hoover.

Since "FLY / LOITER" is GPS assist, Solo's hoover accucracy position wise, it will come down to positioning data received and used by Solo's GPS.

This is the easiest to understand file about WAAS for those not familiar with it.
https://www.benmeadows.com/refinfo/techfacts/techpdf/GPS_Accuracy_WAAS_300.pdf

From uBlox Neo 7 datasheet
1.6.3 Satellite-Based Augmentation System (SBAS)

u-blox 7 positioning modules support SBAS. These systems supplement GNSS data with additional regional or wide area GNSS augmentation data. The system broadcasts augmentation data via satellite which can be used by GNSS receivers to improve the resulting GNSS precision. SBAS satellites can be used as additional satellites for ranging (navigation), further enhancing precision. The following SBAS are supported with u-blox 7: WAAS, EGNOS and MSAS.

NMEA IDs · mvglasow/satstat Wiki · GitHub

NMEA IDs can be roughly divided into the following ranges:

• 1–32: GPS
  • 33–54: Various SBAS systems (EGNOS, WAAS, SDCM, GAGAN, MSAS) – some IDs still unused
  • 55–64: not used (might be assigned to further SBAS systems)
  • 65–88: GLONASS
  • 89–96: GLONASS (future extensions?)
  • 97–192: not used
  • 193–195: QZSS
  • 196–200: QZSS (future extensions?)
  • 201–235: Beidou

#41 is Indian GAGAN
GAGAN (GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation) is an Indian GPS augmentation system.

#193 is QZSS
QZSS (Quasi-Zenith Satellite System) is a Japanese time-transfer system, to augment GPS. It full configuration consists of three geosynchronous satellites, with completion planned for 2013. The assigned NMEA ID range is 193–210

2 hours after I tested the solo, I looked at my iPad linked to Bad Elf GPS, which can show and read SBAS/WAAS/DGPS Sattelite, unlike Nvidia Shield K1 tablet which is GPS + GLOSNASS only.
Last Log - Start 8-33pm 29th July 2016 v3B.JPG

So, from GPS stand point, Solo has finally used SBAS/WAAS now, which is good.
I wonder why 3DR did not do so 1st time Solo was out ?
Is it the potential accuracy jump between WAAS vs GPS only ?

End of Report.

Okey, confirmed that Solo 2.4.0 ( beta 2.4.1-3 I have not tested yet, but I am sure it is the same ) is now using SBAS/WAAS/DGPS* Sattelite assist. Mision Planner call it as *DGPS.

In my region/country ( Indonesia), I get NMEA #41 and #193 Sattelites, which are SBAS Sats.

Here I am seeing 5.58 meters of drift in 20 minutes, but Solo was under wooden material of the villa I stayed. It has brick walls to some side, so multipath signal I am sure exist.
View attachment 3936

View attachment 3932

View attachment 3933

View attachment 3934

However , if SBAS signal come and go due to SBAS Sats position or blockage, maybe we get more position jump magnitude. I mean from average 10 meters accuracy of GPS only to 2-3 meters with WAAS assist, that is a big jump even with smoothing algo.

Maybe those who is seeing more drift during hoover, is seeing non WAAS assist ( for US region ), vs WAAS assist during the test/s.Best to see if you guys are actually getting USA WAAS, when drifting is minimum during hoover.

Since "FLY / LOITER" is GPS assist, Solo's hoover accucracy position wise, it will come down to positioning data received and used by Solo's GPS.

This is the easiest to understand file about WAAS for those not familiar with it.

u-blox 7 positioning modules support SBAS. These systems supplement GNSS data with additional regional or wide area GNSS augmentation data. The system broadcasts augmentation data via satellite which can be used by GNSS receivers to improve the resulting GNSS precision. SBAS satellites can be used as additional satellites for ranging (navigation), further enhancing precision. The following SBAS are supported with u-blox 7: WAAS, EGNOS and MSAS.

• 33–54: Various SBAS systems (EGNOS, WAAS, SDCM, GAGAN, MSAS) – some IDs still unused

#41 is Indian GAGAN
GAGAN (GPS-aided geo-augmented navigation) is an Indian GPS augmentation system.

#193 is QZSS
QZSS (Quasi-Zenith Satellite System) is a Japanese time-transfer system, to augment GPS. It full configuration consists of three geosynchronous satellites, with completion planned for 2013. The assigned NMEA ID range is 193–210

2 hours after I tested the solo, I looked at my iPad linked to Bad Elf GPS, which can show and read SBAS/WAAS/DGPS Sattelite, unlike Nvidia Shield K1 tablet which is GPS + GLOSNASS only.
View attachment 3935

End of Report.
SBAS is good if you are in an area that is well covered but my understanding is in places like Australia where we just barely see the Japanese SBAS sats (just on our horizon) it can lead to decreased accuracy.

Garmin and other handheld manufacturers advise you to turn it off it not well covered countries.

Anyone who knows more care to comment?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

View attachment 3936

View attachment 3932

View attachment 3933

View attachment 3934

#41 is Indian GAGAN

#193 is QZSS

View attachment 3935

End of Report.
Very interesting observation. Thanks!
First, there is no difference between 2.4 and 2.4.1-3.
I always flew with SBAS enabled with the current FW as well as with the previous one. There was a change in the GPS prearm check and EKF between the old underlying AC 3.2.1 code and the current AC 3.3.3 version which is the basis for the 2.4 FW. The changes in GPS times to lock came primarily from changes to the EKF checks to my knowledge. There were also a number of fixes in the display of the GPS parameters in MP and the app, eg HDOP.
But to my knowledge that didn't have impact on the GPS settings itself.

You can monitor the GPS settings and performance inside Solo in realtime by using the Ublox Center monitoring software and the Mavlink pass through option in MP.

A drifting of 5.5 meters looks like a lot. With my m8n inside Solo I came down to ~2.5 meters as measured in the Ublox monitor.

My Solo Beta 2.4.1-3 was automatically updated overnight on my tablet to 2.4.0-2
-Fixed return to me

Sounds as though they are counting backwards in updates. In theory, your Solo and controller will be 'updated' the next time you connect to them from the new(?) 2.4.0-2 Beta.

I just flew with the update, it also fixed the drifting issue..

That version # makes more sense, but Google Play documentation says it is 2.4.0-2. Is that what you are running but it then shows up as 2.4.1-5 when installed and then run with your Solo and controller??

yea just checked 2.4.1-5...
got the update notice when i turned on solo his morning before heading out.

Interesting:
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 660554 Aug 3 10:58 ArduCopter-1.3.1.px4
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 48187 Aug 3 10:58 gimbal_firmware_1.3.7.ax

A return to the older 1.3 branch of Arducopter --> Releases · 3drobotics/ardupilot-solo · GitHub
But not quite the latest (which is 1.3.3).
And a Gimbal update.

yea just checked 2.4.1-5...
got the update notice when i turned on solo his morning before heading out.
Thanks... here is the exact info I was hoping for before I updated the entire system:
  • Play Store says 2.4.0-2 Beta and that version info should have been provided by 3dr
  • When the alleged 2.4.0-2 Beta is run, it actually updates to 2.4.1-5 Beta
  • After update, the Solo and controller return 2.4.1-5 - I hadn't noticed the gimbal update but that's great
  • After the update, I lost my GPH4B control and had to shut everything down, remove GP, remove/reinsert GP battery, then reinstall the GP on the gimbal
  • All works now including on/off control of GP with Solo - which always worked anyway
  • I suppose a cal would be in order, but I haven't done that yet.
What I was concerned about was that the "update" would carry me back to 2.4.0-2 so didn't want to connect to the alleged 2.4.0-2 and find out I went backwards. First do no harm! 2.4.0-2 does indeed update to 2.4.1-5.

My mind works like a computer... 1 & 0, Off & On, Yes and No, If/Then. This is great for troubleshooting a problem, but I gotta tell you that figuring out what some posters are saying (exactly), is tough.

Reactions: algojo
Just to be clear, the Android app is 2.4.0 beta 2 whereas the Solo and Controller firmware are 2.4.1-5

thats right my settings are
App 2.4.0 beta 2
solo 2.4.1-5
autopilot 1.3.1
gimbal 1.3.7
controller 2.4.1-5
controller firmware 1.2.11

Just to be clear, the Android app is 2.4.0 beta 2 whereas the Solo and Controller firmware are 2.4.1-5
Yes, but the Android Beta App was 2.4.1-3 the day before yesterday - and that's exactly what Play Store said it would be. That 2.4.1-3 App updated the Solo and controller to 2.4.1-3 at that time. In other words, the App and subsequent Solo/controller update matched. Now they do not.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado