Android 2.4 Beta and Solo FW (2.4.1.3) Update Available..

well he has no more proved that the program is bad than just spout off
So I am out.
have your fun

So you've read the 3DR Robotics Beta NDA for Solo?
Did I said that? Or you just made it up.

Let me be clear. I downloaded the solo beta from play store ran it for about a week now but I haven't called myself solo beta tester.

No, but you're going on and on about NDAs and their implications when others were discussing the Solo beta, so I assumed you've read it since you're commenting and speculating on it as if it were fact, like the quoted statement.
BTW, if you are in a true tester group, telling other that you are a tester will violate the NDA and may suffer legal consequences.

I' m in software/firmware development business. In my 30+ years I signed many NDA and participated in many
testing programs but as I stated I am not in solo program. I did not personally owe one until few months ago despite the fact I developed few apps for solo.
No, but you're going on and on about NDAs and their implications when others were discussing the Solo beta, so I assumed you've read it since you're commenting and speculating on it as if it were fact, like the quoted statement.

So I brought my Solo and P4 for the holiday, but I did not fly them.
I could not find safe enough place to fly, unless I walk damn far.

Anyway, I was testing my Solo + controller which is already on 2.4.0 both, but with 2.3.0 Android... propeller-less.
Day 1 - GPS lock was fast, for a new place 600 miles away from last GPS lock.
2.5 minutes cold start to a new far away place and get to 6 and then 9 Sats is very good.
After prolong stand-by to get more sats, I can even get 13 sats...which is odd. Too many.

Day 2 - I tested again at midnight just to get GPS positioning logged into Tlog. Then the weird thing started happening.
I was requested to do compass calibration till like 10+ times. When its OK and good and ready to simulate take off ( propeller-less remember ), again compass calibration was requested. Took me 4 hours to finally gave up...and pissed mad.
I thought I may have a bad compass .

Day 3 - finally all good. The compass problem went away. How and why... I dont know.
Then twice video feed went green totally after 5+ minutes of transmission. Re-starting the solo sometime does not help. Sometime lifting the solo off the ground and place it somewhere else, it remove the green screen distortion. I thought its wifi problem, but it is not. Its finally gone but I do not know why and how.
Maybe the famous HDMI cable issue ? So far its not HDMI cable issue.

Day 3 - the magnetic interference is coming into play so often. On grass and even on wood table...dang, weird. Maybe this is what Pyrate mentioned as the bug ?

NOTE :
I tried to compare Solo's locked GPS numbers to other devices I have , I think this time Solo uses the WAAS sattelites. This was not the case last time I flew. Let me check my documentation photos and get back tomorrow about this possibility of WAAS sats being used.

I think I need to buy new compass module to be sure also I am not having compass calibration issue due to mailfunctioning compass module.

Did I said that? Or you just made it up.

Let me be clear. I downloaded the solo beta from play store ran it for about a week now but I haven't called myself solo beta tester.
thank goodness for that, someone who calls on solo to be flown indoors on GPS is not fit as a tester

Went out this morning with 3 batteries only to test the new Android Beta. When I got to the fly spot, first thing I did was a full compass then level calibration. I then took off in manual as I always do and flew around for a couple minutes to see how it felt. All good, so I put it in Fly mode about 10-15' high and watched it hover for 1-2 minutes. Rock solid with no drifting, just as it was in the video I posted earlier. I the proceeded to test each of the Smart Shots. Everything worked as expected. The new Zip Line shot is great and going to be very useful.

I continued flying and testing and never ran into any problems, with the exception of Rewind. I could not get it to work. There is a new section in the settings menu where you can turn Rewind on or off and set the distance. I turned it on and set the distance to 65'. Each time I would climb out and do a partial circle and tap the Home button. But it would always behave normally by climbing to the set altitude and head straight for home. I tried both single and double taps on the home button but the result was a normal RTH. So not sure on that feature yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. GPS lock was always in about 30sec or less. I found the new beta to be very stable so far.

Reactions: jibcamera and SARDG
Went out this morning with 3 batteries only to test the new Android Beta... ...GPS lock was always in about 30sec or less. I found the new beta to be very stable so far.
GPS lock in 30 seconds? Is that fast for your particular system? Sounds quick to me and my GPS lock with 2.4 Beta seemed unusually quick with Rev B and cardboard.

I
Went out this morning with 3 batteries only to test the new Android Beta. When I got to the fly spot, first thing I did was a full compass then level calibration. I then took off in manual as I always do and flew around for a couple minutes to see how it felt. All good, so I put it in Fly mode about 10-15' high and watched it hover for 1-2 minutes. Rock solid with no drifting, just as it was in the video I posted earlier. I the proceeded to test each of the Smart Shots. Everything worked as expected. The new Zip Line shot is great and going to be very useful.

I continued flying and testing and never ran into any problems, with the exception of Rewind. I could not get it to work. There is a new section in the settings menu where you can turn Rewind on or off and set the distance. I turned it on and set the distance to 65'. Each time I would climb out and do a partial circle and tap the Home button. But it would always behave normally by climbing to the set altitude and head straight for home. I tried both single and double taps on the home button but the result was a normal RTH. So not sure on that feature yet. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. GPS lock was always in about 30sec or less. I found the new beta to be very stable so far.
to manually use rewind try holding the pause button down.

I think I read that the latest FW (2.4-Something) said pressing RTH button will always execute the traditional Arducopter RTL now. No rewind, and not RTM.

I think I read that the latest FW (2.4-Something) said pressing RTH button will always execute the traditional Arducopter RTL now. No rewind, and not RTM.
I think rewind will kick in with signal loss haven't tested yet, it will rewind when holding the pause button now

that was a late change rewind at the start of rth was confusing people
the latest firmware 2.4.1.3 I think it is,. is much better so long as you recalibrate
Nice report BTW

Right. It was the home button behavior specifically that was set specifically to only execute normal RTL with no rewind regardless of settings.

I so want to install the beta on my Solo now. Zip Line would be very useful for my vacation I leave for tomorrow. However I know better than to do major software upgrades on ANYTHING the evening before a vacation or important event...

I'm just on my way out to fly a couple batteries, i will try to loose signal and see what happens and let you know.

From the changelog for 2.0.23:

"Fixed GPS disconnected alarm that wasn't working
Fixed a Fly:Manual altitude scaling bug
Fixed travis deployment

Note: This is equivalent to solo-2.0.21 + the above changes. This does not include Q*Bert gimbal support from solo-2.0.22."

So I would doubt that any "Drifting" issues were explicitly addressed in this update.

One wonders what the Q*Bert gimbal is...

qbert is the codename for the sony UMC-R10C gimbal.

Reactions: jibcamera
that was a late change rewind at the start of rth was confusing people
the latest firmware 2.4.1.3 I think it is,. is much better so long as you recalibrate
Nice report BTW
Thanks. I guess I missed that. Next time I will try holding the home button and also turning off the controller.

The advice to go to the google play store and get the beta doesn't sound legit to me. Why is it not just a normal update? I've been informed if you re-install the app, all of your saved cablecams will be lost. By installing the beta, isn't that the same as re-installing the app?

The advice to go to the google play store and get the beta doesn't sound legit to me. Why is it not just a normal update? I've been informed if you re-install the app, all of your saved cablecams will be lost. By installing the beta, isn't that the same as re-installing the app?
How could it not be legit - 2.4.1-3 Beta (App) is out there for the asking; 3dr can take it down at any time. And it isn't an update - yet. It installs as a separate App and 2.3 still resides on your phone or tablet. Not all the settings transferred to 2.4.1-3 though, and it took a couple of minutes to go through 2.4.1-3 and reset things. I didn't have any CCs saved in 2.3.

Now, the App does update the Solo and Controller FW to 2.4.1-3 as well. I haven't tried using the 2.3 App again, with the new FW.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado