Android 2.4 Beta and Solo FW (2.4.1.3) Update Available..

The hardware (GPS) is only reporting the raw data from (all) the satellites visible, their signal strength, position, datetime, etc. Solo SW does calculations on those numbers to determine which sats to use and if it is ok to fly, and what constitutes a good enough "lock"...
So... that might imply that 3DR simply loosened the lock data to allow flying sooner.

Cannot explain, unless that link would be different for me because Play Store recognizes that I have already installed the App. All I did was talk to my tablet in Play Store and said 3DR Solo Beta... which it happily searched for and found immediately. Dunno...
Searching for "3DR Solo Beta" does in fact bring up the Beta of 2.4, dated 7/24/16 And it wants the Solo firmware 2.4.1-3. So looks like a FW update is coming as well???

Last edited:
Searching for "3DR Solo Beta" does in fact bring up the Beta of 2.4, dated 7/24/16 And it wants the Solo firmware 2.4.1-3. So looks like a FW update is coming as well???
2.4.1.3 FW updates within the Beta App as described by @Jubair in Post # 1.

i want to take this pportunity to thank the beta testers that risk their guinea-pig Solos for the greater good

even if they release the final v2.4 on Android I'll be cautiously optimistic and keep my eyes out on these forum to see if the bugs have been ironed out before updating and flying

Every single version has had bugs. What makes it worse is some things aren't actual bugs, but rather changed behavior, yet they don't release the (complete) documentation at the same time as the updates so everybody is a guinea pig in that sense. I'm sure more than a few have crashed due to not understanding how Rewind works with RTH.

2.4 has been out for iOS for how long now? Any docs? Nope. But judging from most of the questions on these forums, not many people read them anyway lol as most of the questions asked over and over are answered in the user manual.

Every single version has had bugs. What makes it worse is some things aren't actual bugs, but rather changed behavior, yet they don't release the (complete) documentation at the same time as the updates so everybody is a guinea pig in that sense. I'm sure more than a few have crashed due to not understanding how Rewind works with RTH.

2.4 has been out for iOS for how long now? Any docs? Nope. But judging from most of the questions on these forums, not many people read them anyway lol as most of the questions asked over and over are answered in the user manual.
Wait, theres a user manual?

i want to take this pportunity to thank the beta testers that risk their guinea-pig Solos for the greater good

even if they release the final v2.4 on Android I'll be cautiously optimistic and keep my eyes out on these forum to see if the bugs have been ironed out before updating and flying
New to computers? I'm not familiar with any mainstream software that has ever been bug free. Nor would I ever expect to. Opened my first software only store in Reno, NV in 1984. Still see familiar titles from back then still getting updates. And there are just too many variables in the wild that are easily missed by beta testers. Not because of the beta testers, but because of the variables that do not exist in their config/environment.

Reactions: RichWest
Finally got it, there some issues, but haven't had a chance to fully evaluate the code drop. Won't try to fly anything for a day or so due to "real life" effects.

My Solo has the 2.4 FW I also have android with 2.3 app & a Ipad with the 2.4 app
Both have no real problems with ether OS.

Android has "Adjusting sensor" Displayed on controller for a few sec. then locks quickly. Added the 3dr Shield yesterday.
Everything works that i tested Orbit, all CC's & Selfie

Ipad IOS. No problems at all. everything works that i tested Orbit, all CC's. Selfie & Fence.
The Ipad App feels smoother & more responsive to touch.

Hope this helps....

Reactions: Solo Keith

2.4 has been out for iOS for how long now? Any docs? Nope.

it's insane how quiet 3DR has gotten since the past month. They might talk about SiteScan features on their News page that might be good for like 5% of the existing owners but does not want to address many of the big elephants in the room.

New to computers? I'm not familiar with any mainstream software that has ever been bug free. Nor would I ever expect to. Opened my first software only store in Reno, NV in 1984. Still see familiar titles from back then still getting updates. And there are just too many variables in the wild that are easily missed by beta testers. Not because of the beta testers, but because of the variables that do not exist in their config/environment.
I forgot where I've read this, but they made a good comparsion saying when a computer crashes/freezes or run into the bug, no big deal. Just hit the reset button.

Now a computer with spinning props hundreds of ft over people, properties, or a body of water? Yeah it becomes much more critical to not have bugs that can cause a catastrophe/total loss.

it's insane how quiet 3DR has gotten since the past month. They might talk about SiteScan features on their News page that might be good for like 5% of the existing owners but does not want to address many of the big elephants in the room.
Totalelly agree! :mad:

The hardware (GPS) is only reporting the raw data from (all) the satellites visible, their signal strength, position, datetime, etc. Solo SW does calculations on those numbers to determine which sats to use and if it is ok to fly, and what constitutes a good enough "lock". GPS numbers are not constant even if you are standing still. They're jumping all over the place unless you have a military grade GPS unit and antenna, which is kind of hard to get for civilian use since we're not flying precision GPS guided missiles :)
This is not quite correct.
All calculation and selection of the sats used for a lock is done inside the GPS chip. Arducopter just reads in the #sats used for the lock, type of lock (eg 2D/3D,..), all DOP values (including the HDOP), av. velocity in the 3 axis, and some other params and uses this data along the other flight data coming from the compass and IMUs to constantly determine if quality is sufficient for tlying in a GPS assisted mode. If not, Arducpter initiates a failsafe.

Its one of the big myths that the Solo flight controller would override the GPS calculations done on the chip :)

I cannot copy this. We are constantly receiving a stream of new beta versions, just the Android version as of last weekend. Also, when you look into their git, you see plenty of dev work ongoing (fixes and new stuff) :)

I forgot where I've read this, but they made a good comparsion saying when a computer crashes/freezes or run into the bug, no big deal. Just hit the reset button.

Now a computer with spinning props hundreds of ft over people, properties, or a body of water? Yeah it becomes much more critical to not have bugs that can cause a catastrophe/total loss.

It is certainly not a good idea to fly any RC controlled object over people and property. Also it is illegal in some countries. Even professional drones worth several thousand bucks crash from time to time.

Reactions: Jubalr
So im in Greece at the moment and installed the beta because i got impatient waiting for zipline.

Well im regretting now. Most of the time solo cant be found and when it does my Gopro shows no images at all.

Really wish i hadnt dont that. Im guessing i have to do a factory reset now...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M