WTF happened to this drone? It just fell...

From the sound that happened half way down. (The screech) Then again just before the crash. A motor was going out.
Are we still on this?? No motor failed. No power failed. Nothing failed. The screeching sound is the wind across the GoPro mic.

Can anyone explain this, I have my theories, but I would like some more opinions.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Looks like you were hit by something because when i slow it down frame by frame the camera was knocked sideways out past the left front leg where you can see a picture of the front leg and arm with propeller on there spinning... i've had motor failures before and usually it will cause the aircraft to start wabbling and descend spinning from the tork of the other motors... then tumbling down, look like it got hit and started losing altitude because from the shadow on the snow it was coming down level all the while trying to recover then bouncing off the snow and starting returning to its last height until you hit RTL... interesting to see flight logs.

Just that and the ALFAs... It's pretty good as long as you can keep LOS.
I bought the Alfa ant...I'm not sure I'm gaining anything. I'm interested in doing other mods but I'm afraid of losing my warranty from 3DR.

Looks like you were hit by something because when i slow it down frame by frame the camera was knocked sideways out past the left front leg where you can see a picture of the front leg and arm with propeller on there spinning... i've had motor failures before and usually it will cause the aircraft to start wabbling and descend spinning from the tork of the other motors... then tumbling down, look like it got hit and started losing altitude because from the shadow on the snow it was coming down level all the while trying to recover then bouncing off the snow and starting returning to its last height until you hit RTL... interesting to see flight logs.

No. Please read this thread. None of that is what happened.

That game could keep me occupied for hours.
Right! I've always thought it would be a great game to redo. Same premise, just some better 2D graphics and new levels. Maybe even some different outfits for your little man/woman/tranny (PC). That's it though, that's all it needs. Make it playable on mobile and it's over I'd officially probably never work again.

We only see the yeti out here on powder days... He's always trying to chase us down the mountain and eat us before we get home. It's rather nerve racking to be honest. Here's a picture my roommate got of him chasing me.
I HEARD IT WAS A UFO THAT RAN TO IT. LOL

We only see the yeti out here on powder days... He's always trying to chase us down the mountain and eat us before we get home. It's rather nerve racking to be honest. Here's a picture my roommate got of him chasing me.
I honestly and really laughed out loud!

Sputnik,
For range....do you have Mikrotik WiFi cards and Alphas......or just Alphas....was not sure from your earlier post.......incredible range.....

My favorite part of CO.....To-Hell-You-Ride.....I use to ski the area in the mid-80's......San Juan Mtn Range.....beautiful......

I always enjoyed the run "See Forever"....overlooking the town below.....never had the nerve for the chute down the face into town

Reactions: sputnik378
Also...have you changed any parameters in order to fly at those elevations.....I could not get my Solo to arm it's motors at 8,600 ft when I was in Mammonth skiing.....not sure why

Also...have you changed any parameters in order to fly at those elevations.....I could not get my Solo to arm it's motors at 8,600 ft when I was in Mammonth skiing.....not sure why
I bet you're running 1.5.3? 3DR put that into the Site Scan firmware. It inhibits arming above an altitude set by a parameter. The default is about 8,000ft above sea level. If you look in the full parameter list, you'll see it. I don't remember what it's called, but you can change it something else to get you back in business. The standard solo 1.3.2 pixhawk firmware does not have this, which is why the OP doesn't have the issue.

Sputnik,
For range....do you have Mikrotik WiFi cards and Alphas......or just Alphas....was not sure from your earlier post.......incredible range.....

My favorite part of CO.....To-Hell-You-Ride.....I use to ski the area in the mid-80's......San Juan Mtn Range.....beautiful......

I always enjoyed the run "See Forever"....overlooking the town below.....never had the nerve for the chute down the face into town

We are going to go ski the chute I crashed in the other day this morning in fact (just waiting for my crew). We got a couple surprise storms this week and winter is back on!

I have the wifi upgrade in my controller only as I have heard varying stories of it failing when in both controller and solo. These fears aren't necessarily quantified, but I have read a few horror stories about it. So I just went with the one and the ALFAs. It seems more than capable of sending it out of sight if I wanted to though, so I'm happy.

I haven't changed any parameters in regards to altitude, and it seems like P2P has a much better idea of what is going on there than I do. I simply arm, and go full throttle to the top of the mountain and it seemed to work out every time until this incident.

Maybe I'll try to pull the dataflash logs when I get back from skiing. Still wondering if there is a simple way to do this that someone can suggest to me?

It sounds like it had a bearing failure. You can hear it squealing. the drone probably tried to compensate for the failure causing it to drop and then take off again. In short it sounded like a motor was off center causing bearing wobble.

picard-facepalm.jpg

That's what I Ben trying to tell them the same thing. I also had a bad motor pud and it was cussing mi drone from sting level on the air. So a motor goes bad every time you crash it will still fly but the motor will not have the same horse power like when it was new. Example this guy fly his drone from level 1 and he took it to level 10 what I mean by this is level 10 like flying on high montains and high winds the motors need to be working all the same with a lot of horse power and if you have a bad motor you are putting your drone on a risk of crashing and falling like a rock all the way to the ground. And it probably on the way down its trying to recover from falling but it's dropping so fast that it can't. Like in the video it shows that when it landed on the ground it was able to recover to the normal speed.

Several very knowledge folks have reviewed the data flash logs from this mishap and have ruled out a motor issue. If you read through the whole thread you will know the issue has been identified. The "bearing squeal" some have heard is just the wind noise across the GoPro mic.

That's what I Ben trying to tell them the same thing.
Yes you have. And it's been explained to you on numerous occasions throughout this thread, in great detail, to include huge pictures, why you are incorrect about this.

Yes that's right about the noise from the wind I can hear it to. But believe it or not you should check your motor make sure thniat they are running properly. And I will try to make a video of how you can test your motors. And if your motors are good the last thing I can think is that a very strong winds hit your drone. I mean just imagine how strong are the winds they have the power to flip a big cargo tracks and make nutural disasters Imagen what will do to your drone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo