Windows 10 compatible GoPro studio replacement

Not a MAC fan myself. I have a lot under the hood on my machine so Windows works like a charm for me.

Same here, you have to compare apples to apples, no pun intended. A friend of mine always criticizes Windows systems based on a comparison between a $300 Windows netbook loaded with bloatware and a $1300 Macbook Pro.

Macs used to be the platform of choice for media many years ago, but that's long since passed.

Same here, you have to compare apples to apples, no pun intended. A friend of mine always criticizes Windows systems based on a comparison between a $300 Windows netbook loaded with bloatware and a $1300 Macbook Pro.

Macs used to be the platform of choice for media many years ago, but that's long since passed.
plus one on that.

they are now all just computers.
the best OS being the one you know best.
Been in it since the early 80's and slowly learned and worked them all..

Software apps dictate for me.
Not a fan of OSX any flavor probably cause I just didn't grow up on it.
That said, I have an HPi5 that duel boots to OSX with tonymacs help for running PlayBack pro.
Got a Mackbook pro that bootcamps to Windows 7 for win apps..
and all my backups on the network run flavors of Ubutu..
Love my surface pro 3, Macbook Air, ipad air all for different reasons.
(no, I'm not crazy I own an A/V company it's my job)

Telling thing for me in video is that the guy who wrote Final cut was the guy who 1st worked on Adobe P...

who cares, most cuts for real stuff are done with Avid right?

the Apple/IBM war died when Apple went... well, with Intel... DYI PC is still the best bang for the buck hardware-wise no matter what OS... ask anybody with a hackintosh...

why do I feel like i'm about to get flamed like I did in the 90's ??:eek:

You may like this....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'm not crazy either.. OK I am crazy, but didn't pay for the Touch Screen :)

You may like this....

I'm not crazy either.. OK I am crazy, but didn't pay for the Touch Screen :)
My kinda fella... (you're nuts)

I was looking for a solution for my trip to the white mountains for foliage and sorta came to my senses and bought a 15' micro HDMI to HDMI to go to a 30-50" monitor that I planned on maybe using an inverter in the car but.. yea, wireless is good...

nice job!

plus one on that.

they are now all just computers.
the best OS being the one you know best.
Been in it since the early 80's and slowly learned and worked them all..

Software apps dictate for me.
Not a fan of OSX any flavor probably cause I just didn't grow up on it.
That said, I have an HPi5 that duel boots to OSX with tonymacs help for running PlayBack pro.
Got a Mackbook pro that bootcamps to Windows 7 for win apps..
and all my backups on the network run flavors of Ubutu..
Love my surface pro 3, Macbook Air, ipad air all for different reasons.

Telling thing for me in video is that the guy who wrote Final cut was the guy who 1st worked on Adobe P...

who cares, most cuts for real stuff are done with Avid right?

the Apple/IBM war died when Apple went... well, with Intel... DYI PC is still the best bang for the buck hardware-wise no matter what OS... ask anybody with a hackintosh...

why do I feel like i'm about to get flamed like I did in the 90's ??:eek:

Funny when you mentioned not being crazy cause it's your job, while reading I was thinking good god I thought I was bad buying things I really don't need every version of. Seems more than not those of us who stuck with solo are pretty like minded in plenty of ways, same goes for the apple and phan cult that's finally losing some ground on both fronts. Basically the phan boys are same as the apple fan boy die hards and those of us who have stuck with Windows more times than not through their issues will likley stick with 3dr now too. I personally have both copters and a handful of Apple offerings along side my windows and android devices, I have to say I think long term 3dr just like Windows will always have more to offer and IMO be superior. Even more true if you enjoy freedom and like to tinker and improve the things you own.

At least from all I see It's funny how similar these two totally different products followings are, I expected the comparison obviously, what I didn't expect as much was the two sides followers to be so identical. I'll own whatever better meets my needs but at heart I have to say I'm a 3dr, Windows, android type personality. Funny how I could explain someone by the products they back and so many would know exactly who they are.lol

Apologies to all the Apple/phan boys I do own both but can't say I fit in as well with these folks.

Reactions: RikMiddle
My kinda fella... (you're nuts)

I was looking for a solution for my trip to the white mountains for foliage and sorta came to my senses and bought a 15' micro HDMI to HDMI to go to a 30-50" monitor that I planned on maybe using an inverter in the car but.. yea, wireless is good...

nice job!
Yup bought my cable a while back and haven't installed but also have a 32 inch Samsung I'll be using from the rear of my Suv. I'll proly wait till spring cause if it gets down as cold as last year I doubt my flatscreen would make it and I plan to do a nice install not just toss it in.

Funny when you mentioned not being crazy cause it's your job, while reading I was thinking good god I thought I was bad buying things I really don't need every version of. Seems more than not those of us who stuck with solo are pretty like minded in plenty of ways, same goes for the apple and phan cult that's finally losing some ground on both fronts. Basically the phan boys are same as the apple fan boy die hards and those of us who have stuck with Windows more times than not through their issues will likley stick with 3dr now too. I personally have both copters and a handful of Apple offerings along side my windows and android devices, I have to say I think long term 3dr just like Windows will always have more to offer and IMO be superior. Even more true if you enjoy freedom and like to tinker and improve the things you own.

At least from all I see It's funny how similar these two totally different products followings are, I expected the comparison obviously, what I didn't expect as much was the two sides followers to be so identical. I'll own whatever better meets my needs but at heart I have to say I'm a 3dr, Windows, android type personality. Funny how I could explain someone by the products they back and so many would know exactly who they are.lol

Apologies to all the Apple/phan boys I do own both but can't say I fit in as well with these folks.
it does smell of that for sure..

I remember in the early 80's defending the betamax from sony.
I knew that VHS was sold off by Sony to Philips, "Mwrap" being far inferior to the "Jwrap" of Beta.
I read somewhere for $100K.
less wear on the machine not having to put the tape back in the cassette to rewind or fast forward.
More contact on the heads (better resolution) Sony Royalties killed the betamax.

I just hope the solo won't end up with my Beta tapes. Just like then tho-
I KNOW in my heart it's a better machine. VHS=p3 standard? Maybe.

it does smell of that for sure..

I remember in the early 80's defending the betamax from sony.
I knew that VHS was sold off by Sony to Philips, "Mwrap" being far inferior to the "Jwrap" of Beta.
I read somewhere for $100K.
less wear on the machine not having to put the tape back in the cassette to rewind or fast forward.
More contact on the heads (better resolution) Sony Royalties killed the betamax.

I just hope the solo won't end up with my Beta tapes. Just like then tho-
I KNOW in my heart it's a better machine. VHS=p3 standard? Maybe.
Understood. I have little doubt though. Just like with VHS vs Beta, Windows vs OS2 (yes I am that old) and IOS vs Android (still playing out)

The technology that survives is the "best" technology. The surviving technology is the one that is most widespread. The most widespread is the technology most adaptable over the long term. I think back and laugh about people saying that Audio and Video wasn't feasible on the Internet because it isn't "deterministic". ROFL...

That is exactly what happened with Windows, and is happening with Android. See many OSX servers? The Andoid OS is put out there, and the community makes it work in different applications, and works to make it better. Same happens with Linux. You don't see many TV's running IOS :cool:

Open source is a VERY powerful thing. One ant can't eat an elephant, but a million ants can :)

Given that Solo started it's life on PixHawk, Linux, Arducopter, and open source, it is just easier for people to build on, and the technology is (and will be) more wide spread, as it is created to handle more cases. Just look at all the startup drones... See many running on NAZA? I see MANY running on PixHawk and Arducpter..

And all that work they add gets fed back up to Solo. Looking at Github and the "Made for Solo" program gives me little doubt of what is to come. Not an exact analogy, as this has open sources etc. but for me, this is like chosing PC/Windows vs the other options (Apple/OS2/NEXT) in the early 90's. Never a sure thing, but a very good bet....

Last edited:
Understood. I have little doubt though. Just like with VHS vs Beta, Windows vs OS2 (yes I am that old) and IOS vs Android (still playing out)

The technology that survives is the "best" technology. The surviving technology is the one that is most widespread. The most widespread is the technology most adaptable over the long term. I think back and laugh about people saying that Audio and Video wasn't feasible on the Internet because it isn't "deterministic". ROFL...

That is exactly what happened with Windows, and is happening with Android. See many OSX servers? The Andoid OS is put out there, and the community makes it work in different applications, and works to make it better. Same happens with Linux. You don't see many TV's running IOS :cool:

Open source is a VERY powerful thing. One ant can't eat an elephant, but a million ants can :)

Given that Solo started it's life on PixHawk, Linux, Arducopter, and open source, it is just easier for people to build on, and the technology is (and will be) more wide spread, as it is created to handle more cases. Just look at all the startup drones... See many running on NAZA? I see MANY running on PixHawk and Arducpter..

And all that work they add gets fed back up to Solo. Looking at Github and the "Made for Solo" program gives me little doubt of what is to come. Not an exact analogy, as this has open sources etc. but for me, this is like chosing PC/Windows vs the other options (Apple/OS2/NEXT) in the early 90's. Never a sure thing, but a very good bet....

"You don't see many TV's running IOS :cool:"

Apple TV?

"The technology that survives is the "best" technology."

VHS was cheaper. Sony shot itself in the foot by charging too much.
Cheaper wins usually. Did then.
but thats why you used "" around "best" , eh?

and yup, DJI IS cheaper...

"You don't see many TV's running IOS :cool:"

Apple TV?

"The technology that survives is the "best" technology."

VHS was cheaper. Sony shot itself in the foot by charging too much.
Cheaper wins usually. Did then.
but thats why you used "" around "best" , eh?

and yup, DJI IS cheaper...

FYI Apple TV is not a TV. And it doesn't run IOS. There are however MANY TV's that run a Linux kernel.

The world was Sony's to lose. They were more interested in short term. They didn't realize what I said (the technology that survives is the one that is most widespread)

Look at who is using PixHawk and Arducopter. That means the guts of Solo are spreading far and wide. That simply means less risk for the company, and less risk for the consumer, as the technology is more sure to survive.

Are PC's the "cheapest"? No. Mine certainly wasn't. Some are, some aren't. Just like the things built on this technology. MAC isn't as adaptable. That why you don't see MAC servers. That adaptability is why I have a PC over a MAC (that I used to have).

Same with Android. It keeps growing in use. closed systems lose in the end. Especially against open source. It just takes a while. I am a tech consultant by day. I have literally owned (at least) one of almost everything computer related.

You can realize this or not. It doesnt matter. It is happening anyway. Just like it did before, and before that. Classic Google vs Apple.

Cheers

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit
So I've been trying to figure out why my GoPro studio went crazy and just stopped working, came to find out quicktime is not supported by win 10. So basically until it is it seems GoPro studio is worthless at least on my good computer. I've opened it on my old satellite which is more than I can say for my Sager, however using that's really not an option and I still get error messages and I'm betting more issues if I use it.

Question is then what are folks that don't use GPS for cutting, converting or anything and running win 10 using successfully?

I'm fairly new to AP editing so it would be nice if it's somewhat user friendly but I should be able to learn most of the software fairly quickly. I really don't want to drop 3 or 400 bucks at once unless necessary but wouldn't mind paying a monthly for something worthwhile like premiere I guess.

Would that be the best option or are there other better/easier/or cheaper options that will still give good professional looking results for Windows 10?

I'd rather pay a bit than have very limited functionality, it'd be nice to not have to spend an arm and a leg but I understand you get what you pay for most of the time. Any and all experience or insight on this is appreciated and I'd guess this thread could help others as well, I know there are other threads but I havent seen any discussing Windows 10 compatible software just yet. I'm assuming most folks were smarter than I was and waited to upgrade to 10 since I'm not seeing this discussed much, hopefully a few jumped like I did and have working options.

Thanks
AD
I am running it on windows 10 seems to work ok

Yea hate to state the obvious, but uh have you ever read your own posts before Michael, accusing someone of bias really?

Earl also helps as many folks with issues here as any other member I've seen, so agree with him or not he's a much more valuable member here than, I'll just say some others here.

It amazes me how little knowledge you have about a forum you participate in every day. Good god, lord have mercy

Lmfao, Y'all are all a trip, actually I had also heard the days of Mac being on top in editing were over which was why I went with the setup I did, it's actually about the same money as a Mac but I got it for a much better price with some patience. It's also got more than double what a MacBook Pro can under the hood so I'm doubting a Mac can do much better, other than being simplified so an ape could use it. I've not put a ton on this machine yet, I'll try some of the ideas posted today and maybe just take it back to factory if they don't work to see if that works. After I save a couple programs I can just lose my hundreds of gigs of unstable vids. I took my old machine back before switching to win 10 and it's been much better since and seems to be running gp fine.

Thanks for all the tips and answers without the bs attitude and amazement of how unbelievable it is I don't own a Mac. Looks like I've got plenty of programs to try out and play with now that the weather here's going to go down the crapper any day, so guess the timings alright.

Headed out to fly everybody have a great day, seems the weathers going to be better here than what we got yesterday. Better take advantage while I can cause if the snow holds off until Halloween Id be surprised, not long ago we had a couple white halloweens sadly enough. Late as summer was maybe wel get lucky but I doubt it, fly safe folks.
The Macs still have the edge in the Graphics department although they used to now both camps are using Intel chips the performance should be the similar, I have used both but prefer a PC, Horses for courses I suppose.

FYI Apple TV is not a TV. And it doesn't run IOS. There are however MANY TV's that run a Linux kernel.

The world was Sony's to lose. They were more interested in short term. They didn't realize what I said (the technology that survives is the one that is most widespread)

Look at who is using PixHawk and Arducopter. That means the guts of Solo are spreading far and wide. That simply means less risk for the company, and less risk for the consumer, as the technology is more sure to survive.

Are PC's the "cheapest"? No. Mine certainly wasn't. Some are, some aren't. Just like the things built on this technology. MAC isn't as adaptable. That why you don't see MAC servers. That adaptability is why I have a PC over a MAC (that I used to have).

Same with Android. It keeps growing in use. closed systems lose in the end. Especially against open source. It just takes a while. I am a tech consultant by day. I have literally owned (at least) one of almost everything computer related.

You can realize this or not. It doesnt matter. It is happening anyway. Just like it did before, and before that. Classic Google vs Apple.

Cheers
yep,

well, I too have been in and watched it all , owned it all.
Still do.
probably in bigger piles as it's what I do for a living.
Not an IT consultant but.. well I own the company.

Funny how we compare the size of our package to prop up our opinions eh?

well here is mine.

open systems are the ones who survive?
ya mean like the biggest fastest growing most liquid company world wide?

that would be ahhhh... oh yea ,Apple.
everyone's source for "open source":rolleyes:

and the reason VHS took over was not that it was widespread or better but it WAS CHEAPER.
THEN it got widespread. cheap things tend to do that if they work.

And I'm not sure what you built for a PC but if you spent more on it than a Mac ITS WAY BETTER.
I know all mine are. Bang for buck was my point. I'm well aware of the adaptability part.
Software is the key. They are all just computers. I commonly run all PC OS's on all flavors (triple boot) as I never know what software the client will want. It maximizes my inventory.

So you can realize it or not but I'm pretty sure closed sources like DJI and Apple WILL survive in the face of the almighty Google god and it's minion Android.
and people like us will still be debating it.. and comparing our packages...:p

Reactions: Raybro
yep,

well, I too have been in and watched it all , owned it all.
Still do.
probably in bigger piles as it's what I do for a living.
Not an IT consultant but.. well I own the company.

Funny how we compare the size of our package to prop up our opinions eh?

well here is mine.

open systems are the ones who survive?
ya mean like the biggest fastest growing most liquid company world wide?

that would be ahhhh... oh yea ,Apple.
everyone's source for "open source":rolleyes:

and the reason VHS took over was not that it was widespread or better but it WAS CHEAPER.
THEN it got widespread. cheap things tend to do that if they work.

And I'm not sure what you built for a PC but if you spent more on it than a Mac ITS WAY BETTER.
I know all mine are. Bang for buck was my point. I'm well aware of the adaptability part.
Software is the key. They are all just computers. I commonly run all PC OS's on all flavors (triple boot) as I never know what software the client will want. It maximizes my inventory.

So you can realize it or not but I'm pretty sure closed sources like DJI and Apple WILL survive in the face of the almighty Google god and it's minion Android.
and people like us will still be debating it.. and comparing our packages...:p

Except one little thing.... Android outsells IOS... Ooops.

ios vs android graph - Google Search

And that particular game is only in about the 4th inning.

While ltje much younger Linux is about to surpass Windows. That battle battle is in about the 7th inning

PS: Rather than tripple booting, you might consider VM's (Hyper V).
Much more practical, simple, and you don't have the hardware driver across multiple OS's problems,

You can run any OS you want with a click. If you have the hardware, you can even run them simultaneously.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raybro
Except one little thing.... Android outsells IOS... Ooops.

ios vs android graph - Google Search

And that particular game is only in about the 4th inning.

While ltje much younger Linux is about to surpass Windows. That battle battle is in about the 7th inning

PS: Rather than tripple booting, you might consider VM's (Hyper V).
Much more practical, simple, and you don't have the hardware driver across multiple OS's problems,

You can run any OS you want with a click. If you have the hardware, you can even run them simultaneously.
ahhh virtual OS in a window blows. has it's own set of issues. native please. ALWAYS works.
iOS is not everything apple. and yea Apple TV is NOT iOS.. it's TVOS. I'm SURE it's not android and VERY close to iOS.
and if the 7th inning is 35yrs old When is the game over?

I'll stand with it's the software than runs in the OS. NOT the OS or the hardware.
Been the same since day1.

ahhh virtual OS in a window blows. has it's own set of issues. native please. ALWAYS works.
iOS is not everything apple. and yea Apple TV is NOT iOS.. it's TVOS. I'm SURE it's not android and VERY close to iOS.
and if the 7th inning is 35yrs old When is the game over?

I'll stand with it's the software than runs in the OS. NOT the OS or the hardware.
Been the same since day1.

*sigh* Not sure where you are getting your data, but Linux wasn't invented until 1991, and that as a university project. The open source community didn't get going strong until About 2000, and at that point Windows owned the world.

Linux - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

That makes it at oldest 24, but the open source community is more like 16. And the instances of Active Linux will likely surpass active Windows this year.

As for Apple TV, it is going the same route as all closed technical systems. It is an evolution that happens over and over.

Roku still tops as sales of streaming-media players rise - CNET

Yes, all the others are based on Linux.

As I said earlier, one ant doesn't eat you, a million do. Now the Linux is being built right into the TV's. Just like PC's, and phones, and tablets, each time Apple invents a new market, the products sell well. Then it eventually gets overtaken. At this point they are slowly losing until and unless they invent something brand new. .

android vs ios graph - Google Search

I sit on these standards committees. I see all the guts (video, communication, etc etc) go to standards. And they get implemented in open source. It literally always goes this way.

Virtualization? Again, I don't know what to tell you, except to show you the facts. Vrtualization has revolutionized the server and high end workstation world, apparently under your feet. There is hardly an IT shop or server farm on the planet that doesn't run and now rely on it, and I can tell you first hand, it solves a TON of problems. The overhead is tiny. You only have to deal with drivers on the one host PC/OS, and each VM can have a different OS, service packs etc. I work for a fortune 50. They wouldn't even think of tripple booting a machine today, and I have over a dozen desktop VM's for various reasons. I would bet money this site is hosted on a virtual machine.

Again. It doesn't matter what you or I say, the IT world is going virtual and cloud, and in a hurry. That is just a fact.

DailyTech - Virtualization Reaches 92% Enterprise Penetration Rate, VMware Leads the Way

I don't know what to tell ya man...

As for software, the more people you have working on it, and the more diverse they are, the better (and more adaptable) it gets. That is exactly open source. You have people like Ascent, adapting for things like the Sprite (and a hundred other groups). And all that work gets fed back in to the collective. It is a very powerful thing to watch. That is exactly how Solo got Smart Shots and Tower, and it literally is just getting started.

One thing that is true is that the problem with predicting the future, is it hasn't happened yet. Another thing is that nothing either of us says will change any of it. It will play out in due time.

As my dad used to say... You place your bets, and you takes your chances.

That's what my day job is. I am very comfortable with my bets, as I have seen this movie before. It is like watching a romantic comedy. Same story, only the girl and guy have different jobs. In this case, same open source and closed system, just on UAV's instead of computers/phones/tablets/TV's this time.

I look at github and see dozens of things being worked on. I look at Made for Solo and see a dozen things there. I look at DJI and I see DJI and a few API apps. I see the mtrying to get "open source like" traction with the Matrice, but not getting far. Obviously I am missing really big things they are working on.

Time will tell

Cheers.

Last edited:
Reactions: RikMiddle

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks