whishlist for OpenSolo

Guys, you've both made significant contribs which we all appreciate. I think there is some prickliness and maybe some defensiveness on both sides. Which probably has very good reasons. But could I ask that everyone take a step back and assume the best, not the worst before responding?

Please?

F. Bluetooth follow with camera pointing at Bluetooth tracker device.

G. Bluetooth camera control support.

stock solo is not harmed by the cube, but I think people who have time to tinker with solo stock will have to be the ones to try and squeeze more out of it. With the ability to fly master on the cube, I have a feeling those with the skills to advance solo will chose that hardware / software solution to work with rather than the restricted stock set up. I personally plan to upgrade both mine to the green cube. It just flies better. and is much easier to do new things with. The stock set up has pretty much been explored and all the really good enhancements have been discovered.
As for the future, and wish lists. I think the real potential is moving solo link to bigger and better hardware.
I am hoping for ways to make the controller more customized. Most of my current work is moving the smarts of solo to bigger DIY builds. Just got my cable to mount a solo IMX6 onto my bigger bird. Just need to crack the gimbal code and you can fly any sized rig with a solo controller with video and smart shots
I will keep my two solos though, still love the portability of that little guy. Chris made some mistakes, but in my mind if he follows through on releasing the gimbal code, he is back in my good graces

Reactions: DJMc
A way to get gimbal control with a different one as crash insurance [emoji3] Or even a way to put the solo gimbal firmware on any gimbal (storm 32 perhaps)

Could you please expand on what this problem actually is? Thanks Bill

the stock ESC has a poor signal input, and the stock pixhawk has to low voltage to transfer the PWM Signal right. pixhawk 2.1 has more voltage and the problem is solved this way. In my opinion the best way to mange this flaw is to change the ESC to one with a self powered input and the PWM output of the Pixhawk as an open collector circuit, as all PWM Signals should be transferred nowadays....

Reactions: BillHally101
oh, also on my wishlist: gopro 5 on my Gimbal :cool:
If someone wants to stick a bus pirate or equivalent onto the USB-C port while the 5 talks to a Karma, shouldn't be too difficult to reverse engineer the protocol.

Then, if gimbal code is ever released, might be possible to use the already present USB connection on the gimbal data cable to connect....

Last edited:
the stock ESC has a poor signal input, and the stock pixhawk has to low voltage to transfer the PWM Signal right. pixhawk 2.1 has more voltage and the problem is solved this way. In my opinion the best way to mange this flaw is to change the ESC to one with a self powered input and the PWM output of the Pixhawk as an open collector circuit, as all PWM Signals should be transferred nowadays....
Thank you for that explanation it is much apreciated.

Well thinking about it (and if this is already doable I apologize for not finding the info) and this being a theoretical wishlist... and not sure if it's open solo specific... but...

1: I know you can adjust the circumference of an orbit shot on the fly, but how about a spiral smart shot? You set point A to start at a certain height, point B finishes at a certain height (hopefully not slicing your face off...), fixed or adjustable number of circumferences around the subject matter and just use a pinch movement to expand or contract the distance between each lap. Thinking it might be a good way to get a cinematic type shot withing having a person face down in a controller constantly adjusting the orbit shot or having to use mission planner software.

2: Parked video. Solo battery actually lasts quite a while when it's not flying (duh!). Possible option of flying solo to a location, landing, video keeps recording, than after a set amount of time it takes off and flies back to preset location. This might be good if you want to timelapse yourself or video yourself doing something from a different location, but taking more time than the flight battery allows in the air. Hmm maybe it should be called "Sitting" mode. Only problem I can see is if you land and there's poor GPS signal, you'll need to be in manual flight range to get bird back.

3: I know Hackster has a project for a precision landing system using an IR lock, however that requires additional equipment and modification of the solo. Any way to use the gopro (pointed straight down) at a landing pad and optical recognition to do a non GPS assisted landing (print our a large pattern to put on a landing pad etc). This is more of a software thing sure, but might be handy for people who lose GPS lock when landing in a poor signal area and aren't comfy using manual mode (gusting ground winds), or just another really cool feature to show off.

4: Better Hat, T-shirts, stickers and coffee mugs.... come on folks, 3DR solo has had it's moment to shine brightly, but now it's time to start proudly declaring our support for "Open Solo"....

5: I still like the "Beer" suggestion by the way...

OK back to what features we want. I want to be able to transition from smartshot to smartshot smoothly. So if you're in an orbit, transition right into a pano and then into a zipline etc...

Reactions: Saijin_Naib

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela