Speed control

Reaction score
I was wondering if there is anyone with electronic skills that could solve a problem for me. Well not a problem exactly, but a want...

I prefer hardware switches over software settings. Also prefer to adjust on-the-fly speed of certain controls. Just was wondering if a variable resistor could be placed inline for both the yaw and gimbal paddle controls? Obviously you'll need a switch to enable the variable and that each control would need separate hardware for this ability.

A schematic would be really cool. Just about anything would be great. Would like to tone down these controls to suit the scene or subject, on demand. I'm pretty sure others would appreciate such an option.

I know MPCC could provide the same feel, but I prefer to fly a shot. Hardware control is more intuitive.

I appreciate your consideration.

If you can wait a while, I'll see if there isn't a set of usable gpio pins on a Controllerlink card that could read a switch or pot and tone down the settings. I know you said you don't like software solutions, but this would be a hardware switch that invisibly tweaked the software to effect the same thing.

Assuming a proper set of pins exist, is this an acceptable solution?

Also, anyone got a spare controller or controllerlink card I could use for development?

Being a hardware solution gives the ability to tune the changes right off the controller, basically a variable resistor and a dpst switch, rather than going into an app setting.

Back in 2014 I was flying a P2V+, a variable rate yaw mod had been created, here's a schematic Better Yaw control mod (how to video). It worked well enough and popular that someone produced a plug-n-play version. I did the diy version and it was a great feature, as it gave the control "fine" adjustment. I'd switch in and out of the option when flying POI to POI. I could change the rate control without removing my hands from the controller.

Not sure how your idea of software would re-create the above. But its mention jogged my mind to remember @Kelly Schrock Solex app has optional sliders. If main screen option, then I could deal with a software version as it would require minimal cost to implement and provide second tier control. Hardware would be first tier control.

I've wanted this option for two years, but got distracted by other endeavors in improving upon Solo. Those done, time to make Solo mo'better for my needs.

This sounds like something I could use too, this would be very sweet!

Being a hardware solution gives the ability to tune the changes right off the controller, basically a variable resistor and a dpst switch, rather than going into an app setting.

Back in 2014 I was flying a P2V+, a variable rate yaw mod had been created, here's a schematic Better Yaw control mod (how to video). It worked well enough and popular that someone produced a plug-n-play version. I did the diy version and it was a great feature, as it gave the control "fine" adjustment. I'd switch in and out of the option when flying POI to POI. I could change the rate control without removing my hands from the controller.

Not sure how your idea of software would re-create the above. But its mention jogged my mind to remember @Kelly Schrock Solex app has optional sliders. If main screen option, then I could deal with a software version as it would require minimal cost to implement and provide second tier control. Hardware would be first tier control.

I've wanted this option for two years, but got distracted by other endeavors in improving upon Solo. Those done, time to make Solo mo'better for my needs.

I have good news and other news.

GOOD NEWS: The gimbal paddle appears to be single resistance reading, center-tapped potentiometer. This means we should be able to switch resistance in and out of the line to make it more fine grained, as long as we maintain the centered resistance at about the same value. [2.3k on low end, 4.55k on high end, right around 3.6k centered ]

OTHER NEWS: The Yaw stick (in fact all axes of both sticks) seem to be back-to-back independently wiped pots. As in when the stick is moved left, the reading on the top pin and the second pin drops from 850 ohms to 450 ohms, but stays pegged around 850 when moving full right. Second and Third pins drops from 850 to 450 on right stick movement, but stays pegged at 850 when moving full left. This makes resistance swapping much trickier.

So, I could still poke around for a set of GPIO pins to attach some pots/switches to and read them thru software to modify the "range" on these axes if someone has a spare Controllerlink card.

Reactions: RichWest
My brain says I'm missing something, but it's late and I can't figure what...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
No idea