What is your best distance? Have you tried?

Reaction score
I took the Solo out to Lake Okeechobee today. Launched from an elevated position (most of the lake is surrounded by developed berms). Probably 20 - 30 feet above the lake level.

Went out and elevated to around 80 feet. Further out, elevated to 100 feet. I was running at full speed, 32 MPH.

Got all the way out to 16,500 feet, no bars on the controller since 10,000 feet, but still had controller signal. FPV froze at some point beyond 13,000 feet, but could not tell because the view looked exactly the same all the way out. I tilted the gimbal at 13,000 feet, which is how I knew I still had video feed at that point.

At 16,500 feet, had 61% remaining battery. Started RTH, and I stupidly did not change the RTH altitude setting from prior flights. Solo elevated to 200 feet and started back. RTH speed is always around 21 - 22 MPH.

Got back to around 6,000 feet and started getting nervous with how long it was taking. I don't remember how much remaining battery there was, but it was getting low. Took control and went full speed (32 MPH). Descended to 80 feet as I was returning. Lost track of altitude because at around 1,200 feet, i noticed the Solo had descended to 24 feet. Battery was around 14%. Panicked and hit RTH again. Solo stopped, elevated to 200 feet again (shit!), and returned. I was watching it the whole way back from 3,000 feet. Got to the launch point at 6% battery (200 feet), then landed. Watched the battery drop to 5%, 4% during landing. At about 16 feet, battery read 0% on controller. Solo never lost power and safely landed with 0% on controller. Took me about 2 minutes to stop shaking.

Yes I know, why did I do this? I really wanted to see what this thing is capable of. If I had changed the RTH altitude setting prior to launch so that I could have flown back continuously without ascending twice, I probably would have made it back with about 10% to spare.

It seems like the power draw on the battery is no different when flying 32 MPH vs. flying 22 MPH.

I didn't record the screen on the tablet, so I have no actual proof.

What a machine this thing is.

I am with pyrate on LOS. Besides, why do something that is somewhat irresponsible, just to see what it will do? Just MHO.

You weren't leaving much room for a safe RTH! You said, "At 16,500 feet, had 61% remaining battery." There was not enough of a margin for error. I usually
only use RTH to get orientated then go 180 degrees for a full throttle dash home. I wish that the Solo had a function for setting RTH positioning for it like the frontend first on RTH which gives you the proper orientation with FPV. I am new to the Solo and have been flying mostly FPV on the X380 which uses FltCtrl
software for setting parameters. I don't have the Solex app yet and haven't explored any further since I'm using the Solo app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig