What improvements would you like to see if there was a Solo 1.5?

Reaction score
Hey guys, been reading here for awhile, first time posting.

What improvements would you want to see if they release an upgraded solo (not next generation, just an updated version)? I get there are mods for a lot of these, but i feel like these shouldve been thought out better before releasing this solo. While the app/ software has been improving, the hardware needs tweaks. btw, i own another drone w its own sets of problems and i've finally starting flying the solo after months of it sitting on the shelf after the last firmware update, much improved.

1. GPS improvement, maybe some copper added to the gps plate. the wait time to get satellites has slightly improved over time for me, but nothing scarier than randomly losing gps mid air, which still happens from time to time.
2. longer legs. would be great to have more clearance for a $400 gimbal without having to buy those cheap leg extensions. my leg extensions always snap or fall off so ive resorted to hand catching my solo.
3. battery. maybe a battery with more voltage? idk, just anything better than 13-15 min. I would say more mAh, but the added weight would probably offset the extra time you would get.
4. Gimbal/hdmi cable. probably dont have to explain this one.
5. Better motors - less vibrations, maybe improved flight time?
6. stronger bird side and remote antennas. i easily get 500 more meters on my other quad stock
7. actual accessories for the accessory bay? optical flow?

Last edited:
Optical flow.

Black Magic camera compatibility (gimbal and settings).

Bigger battery for more flight time.

Tower on iOS.

Terrain hugging (like the fixed wing guys already have).

Higher capacity battery and iOS Tower-type app.
That's about it. I don't want to see a Solo 2 and for other stuff I'd likely just get a different drone. I like Solo for exactly what it is and bought it for.

Reactions: Maddog and nexxypoo
3DR always said " Don't need to buy another Uav" cause of their updatability as to adding new features to Solo, but that being said,
As a cash Cow for 3DR they must offer a Solo "2" as modern day commerce constitutes.

obviously they would never ever put out an improved version of the solo 1. business is business. idk, these were just glaring issues to me for spending 2k on a drone. just simple design flaws that couldve easily been avoided. just frustrated and venting :(

They are being corrected, slowly but steadily. It's the terms "upgraded" and "improved" model that are irritating, in the same vein as Solo 2.
It's basically because Solo is sold as being future-proof, and for those of us who've been along for the ride from day one, we want them to really be such - improvements can be added along the way in each production run, while being easily added to our existing craft.

All together and free for all of us who spend a lot of money on a prototype that was not up to what is offered.

Reactions: NyJay
There will indeed be new models from 3DR. They are phasing out the X8 and I'm sure they will replace that with some kind of heavy lifter based on the Solo platform. Chris Anderon essentially confirmed that yesterday on diydrones.

In reference to the new discounts on their X8, he said, "We're going to be replacing the whole multicopter line with products built on the Solo platform, which has SoloLink, Pixhawk2 and the onboard Linux computer built in."

Personally I'd love a heavy lift version of the Solo that can lift a proper camera, but it will likely be too expensive, and too big and bulky for most of us.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maddog
They are being corrected, slowly but steadily. It's the terms "upgraded" and "improved" model that are irritating, in the same vein as Solo 2.
It's basically because Solo is sold as being future-proof, and for those of us who've been along for the ride from day one, we want them to really be such - improvements can be added along the way in each production run, while being easily added to our existing craft.

I've been with them since day 1, just like you. ive actually been using 3dr before they even came out with the solo, which is why i wanted to try their mass consumer model.

They are being marketed as future proof, but come on man, we all know their marketing isnt exactly the most truthful. These are design flaws, hardware issues, not software issues that can be fixed with an upgraded firmware or app. how is my solo going to get hardware improvements "easily added to our existing craft"?

also, even though i want 3dr to succeed, im not going to say everything is amazing and going great when it isnt.

Last edited:
I'd love to see a gimbal that could,hold,the blackmagic micro cinema camera. But even that I worry is asking a lot. The BMMCC with lens is 1 pound. Not sure how much flight time with that much added weight. But 10 min would be ok for that camera. At least for me.

I've actually had a preorder in for this camera since about 2 days after it was announced. Was suppose to ship at end of July. Problem with that 300 gram weight spec is that is without battery and lens. Once you add the cannon battery and the Panasonic 14mm lens (I think that's what I ordered), your closer to one pound. Believe me, I'd love it if the solo could carry this and a gimbal that holds it. I'm pretty sure the photo on their website with it on a phantom is photoshopped.

I'd love to see a gimbal that could,hold,the blackmagic micro cinema camera. But even that I worry is asking a lot. The BMMCC with lens is 1 pound. Not sure how much flight time with that much added weight. But 10 min would be ok for that camera. At least for me.
Agreed. 10 minutes is enough time to get multiple takes. If you want to just cruise around and check things out from the sky then the GoPro configuration is perfect.

I've been with them since day 1, just like you. ive actually been using 3dr before they even came out with the solo, which is why i wanted to try their mass consumer model.

They are being marketed as future proof, but come on man, we all know their marketing isnt exactly the most truthful. These are design flaws, hardware issues, not software issues that can be fixed with an upgraded firmware or app. how is my solo going to get hardware improvements "easily added to our existing craft"?

also, even though i want 3dr to succeed, im not going to say everything is amazing and going great when it isnt.
I realize that Solo is largely marketed to the pay and play crowd, as something you just yank from its box and throw into the air. However, I suspect the majority of them have fallen into the hands of the "tinker" crowd of which I belong. A day without a good tinker is like a day without a good, well, you know.
I haven't run across a DIY project yet for Solo that was beyond my reach, though admit it ain't for everyone. Still, bring on the new hardware and stuff - just be sure it's free.

Reactions: Burkeam and J R
Solo is such a infant in the uva market, but has surpassed many in upgradability.
Mods available via Software/Hardware abilities is endless, WiFi, Video, Motors, Ect.. because of (2) 1K CPU's running Linux OS & "most" of this is open source to the public to add or remove features at will "Must be well versed in hardware/Linux"

Lot's of user installable features via the Port in the access bay will be available soon, Other gimbal's, camera's, Lights, area sensing device's, Plus we got 3DR updating Base software to have better control, smoother flight for video capture & Safety features.

My money was well spent.
"Club Tinkers" Welcomes @Marich

Even before Gimbal was out, for stabilized video everyone did the best we could without it, some were VERY good!.

Since the Gimbal, we are all turned perfectionist, or wanting video as close to perfect as possible.

I havn't did most the "stabilized video" mods except balancing Props & motors.
Since the last update from 3DR, I'm very happy with the video that i'm getting out of Solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44