What does "IOS controls the map data cache procedurally" mean?

Twd

Reaction score
I have yet to see a map displayed when flying my Solo using an iPhone 6s Plus. It's never been an issue until I tried the Orbit feature, where it would be helpful.

The latest Solo manual unhelpfully says:

"Note: iOS controls the map data cache procedurally; 3DR cannot guarantee its availability. For best results, make sure your iOS device has a reasonable amount of free storage."​

I Googled "procedural generation" but the Wikipedia explanation seems to apply to generating scenery using algorithms, which sounds like the opposite of using an actual satellite map. (I understand the second sentence about needing storage space to cache map data.)

So I ask you, what does the first sentence mean, in layman's terms?

All I know is that my phone's cellular data connection is enabled when I'm flying and if I were to open Google Maps it would display my location. The 3DR Solo manual indicates that the Solo app is fetching its own maps so I'm curious why it's not doing so for me.

Thanks!

what it means is that the solo app, nor any other ios app that uses the google map sdk, can't control the caching of map data.

on ios, map tile data is cached automatically. it is purged after a certain time period has passed. apps can't control the caching or purging at all. so sometimes caching works, sometimes it doesn't.

Reactions: Twd
what it means is that the solo app, nor any other ios app that uses the google map sdk, can't control the caching of map data.

on ios, map tile data is cached automatically. it is purged after a certain time period has passed. apps can't control the caching or purging at all. so sometimes caching works, sometimes it doesn't.

Thank you for your clear reply! So on to my other question: I'm not seeing any "map" in the Solo app even though Google Maps can show a satellite view of my location. Any suggestions there?

Thank you for your clear reply! So on to my other question: I'm not seeing any "map" in the Solo app even though Google Maps can show a satellite view of my location. Any suggestions there?

you shouldn't be having any issues at all on an iphone. try the google maps app on your iphone. turn on satellite and pan and zoom around. then turn on airplane mode and open the google maps app again. you should still be able to see the map data that you saw panning and zooming and the areas outside of that should be blurred.

the same principle applies with the 3dr solo app.

you shouldn't be having any issues at all on an iphone. try the google maps app on your iphone. turn on satellite and pan and zoom around. then turn on airplane mode and open the google maps app again. you should still be able to see the map data that you saw panning and zooming and the areas outside of that should be blurred.

the same principle applies with the 3dr solo app.

Hello-
Do you know of any way to use the iPhone as a personal hotspot to provide Internet to an iPad mini that is controlling Solo. (My iPad mini doesn't have cell service but I prefer to fly with the bigger monitor.) The iPhone lets you connect to its hotspot via wi-fi, bluetooth or USB. Wi-fi won't work since iPad can't connect simultaneously to SoloLink and the iPhone. USB is more for connecting to a computer. Have you tried Bluetooth? The only other option is to cache maps and that sounds risky as it doesn't always work all the time? Thanks so much,
Kim

You can tether your iPhone to a IPad via Bluetooth, but this is a very slow internet connection, so maps can take 2 - 3 minutes to load, but once loaded it works.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc