What do you think of your Solo?

I noticed in the box while unpacking there were some decals. I left them off because I like the subdued look of the Solo. I put those silver stickers on the rear arms. I almost took them off. Took the Solo outside and was flying around, about 200 feet out at 150' altitude. I kept noticing something flashing at me when it was turning. Thought it was the camera lens. It turns out it was the stickers on the arms and they are pretty helpful for knowing orientation.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Cool. I have noticed the same flash. Looked like a strobe the first time I saw it but never did figure out what it was.

I never said it wasn't open source, it was the intentions and the push to make it what it is now. And it is backed by 3DR CORP. That's all. Being open source was never in question.
Anyhow I'm waiting to see if there will be any Gopro code implemented into it for mission planning and gopro control.
It will be a great move forward if it does.

I think your understanding of how open source projects are run, who really "controls" them (especially with a GPL license like they use), and how they get started is probably incomplete, but regardless, I assure you that you are entirely mistaken when you say "I personally think the tower app was designed for the sole purpose of being used with SOLO." Thats just so wrong. There is a history to all this spanning from DIYdrones.com to many other people and communities who have been working on this technology together for a lot of years.

Anyway, with respect to GoPro functions being added to Tower... that can only happen if GoPro allows it and makes some code publicly available (especially given the GPL on Tower). You can bet that the instant GoPro give the go ahead, a ton of developers will be working on the code and that one of those implementations will be merged into the main Tower branch quickly.

.. that can only happen if GoPro opens up their source code.
Yea I think Tower is unrelated to Solo but hasnt Go Pro already opened their source to a certain extent? If not, Solo would not have access to all the camera functions.

just got back from flying the solo.
took about a minute for the sats to come up.
un eventful flight otherwise.
no problems noted.

I think your understanding of how open source projects are run, who really "controls" them (especially with a GPL license like they use), and how they get started is probably incomplete, but regardless, I assure you that you are entirely mistaken when you say "I personally think the tower app was designed for the sole purpose of being used with SOLO." Thats just so wrong. There is a history to all this spanning from DIYdrones.com to many other people and communities who have been working on this technology together for a lot of years.

Anyway, with respect to GoPro functions being added to Tower... that can only happen if GoPro allows it and makes some code publicly available (especially given the GPL on Tower). You can bet that the instant GoPro give the go ahead, a ton of developers will be working on the code and that one of those implementations will be merged into the main Tower branch quickly.

Well either way, I hope one day Gopro will allow Tower the same control-ability as the Solo app has now it would make for a very good update. I have already had a few specific uses if it was available, In time maybe.
Thanks for the input .

Yea I think Tower is unrelated to Solo but hasnt Go Pro already opened their source to a certain extent? If not, Solo would not have access to all the camera functions.
They've given 3DR access (once the gimbal comes out), but the Tower app is open source GPL, so any code to control the GoPro would have to be open source as well, or it can't be included in Tower.

But it would be smart of GoPro to open things up. Actually, I've never even bothered to look... maybe they already have.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc