What do you think of your Solo?

If you get the Phantom 3 you will love it. I just joined this forum a couple of days ago so I can learn the skinny on the Solo. I am also a member in the "phantom Pilots" forum.

I probably will. The vision+ served me well. I ordered a P3P yesterday after hearing the gimbal was delayed for solo at least a month. I have a charity I promised to donate some flying camera time on the 17th so could not be without a camera.

Tower and MP have similar functionality with Tower for Android and MP for the PC. I used MP on my other MRs but the newer versions of Tower give almost the same functionality from a tablet/phone. Use them for assigning waypoints and fine tune over 100 parameters of the MR. Very powerful stuff..
Does 3DR develop the Tower app and the Mission planner app?

Tower works independently from solo app. But set your missions on a map, upload the mission to the Solo and it flies without pilot intervention. More powerful than my DJI mission programs

Thanks! Interesting.......but something I don't have a use for as 99% of my work is line of site. Now Orbit and Cable thats what I like about the Solo

I have not tried any of the features like Orbit or Cable Cam yet. I might try it but my video is so poor on the SOLO at this point that I cant get any use out of it.

But missions are a blast.

Here is one of mine with a Phantom. You can jump to the 2 1/2 minute mark and skip the first part flying over the fields.

This was totally beyond visual. Once I clicked GO on the mission app I put controller down and went in house for coffee.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very well done Rich! Beautiful video and subject matter. Cutting it close on the trees, but made for great visual.. Awesome!

Just a little background on video. First I only got this brave after the Vision plus dropped in price after the P3s were released and then ordering the Solo. It was easier to lose at this point :)

And secondly. I made three runs adjusting elevation at each waypoint after reviewing the video.

The Phantom has been rock solid on every mission. Amazing !

Reactions: Yourviewfromabove
Just a little background on video. First I only got this brave after the Vision plus dropped in price after the P3s were released and then ordering the Solo. It was easier to lose at this point :)

And secondly. I made three runs adjusting elevation at each waypoint after reviewing the video.

The Phantom has been rock solid on every mission. Amazing !

I agree about the Phantoms, do you think they will have anything like Orbit or Cable Cam? Looks like some one or two companies are doing BETA testing with an App. I signed up a few months ago to be a tester but have not heard anything

Well I don't know. I would have to think that is not far behind with DJI. I did see a 3rd party orbit video that had much more functionality than the Solo orbit.

I am not too worried about it at this point as my P3 is going to just be my cruising rig and the Solo for night photos and stuff like cable cam.

I am still getting used to the Solo but so far I prefer the way the Phantoms fly.

Well I don't know. I would have to think that is not far behind with DJI. I did see a 3rd party orbit video that had much more functionality than the Solo orbit.

I am not too worried about it at this point as my P3 is going to just be my cruising rig and the Solo for night photos and stuff like cable cam.

I am still getting used to the Solo but so far I prefer the way the Phantoms fly.

Funny you should say that. My buddy picked up a Solo last weekend, last night we were both doing some testing. His is flying great but flying my P2 seemed to be just a little better, maybe its because I'm so used to it. We did do a side by side video of it, hopefully he'll post it soon. His solo would lock into 6-8 SAT's while my P2 always had at least 12, we each flew 3 batteries. He had one App disconnect but never lost control. I'd like to tear the solo down to see what kind of GPS puck its using.
The P2 was able to achieve 300ft vert and 1800ft out, Solo was 300ft vert and hit RTH at 780 out.

@Yourviewfromabove , I have no issues with the solo range stock. I realize it does not compare to the P3 but for stock its pretty good. 4200' so far :)

My impression of the Solo flying is something I said via email this morning to another site member. It flies like a Buick. If you move the sliders up it performs like a slightly more powerful Buick on ICE.

The Phantom is more sports car like as far as turning radius, etc. Now as you said, I am used to flying Phantoms and have at least 400 miles logged on my last one so I am not going to rule out the fact some of this can be in my mind.

The vertical climb rate on mine seems to be very slow. Definitely not like the Phantom. It descends quickly and otherwise speed is fine but takes a while to get to the altitude I like.

I am sure its better for guys that are doing video work. No doubt.

I have not tried any of the features like Orbit or Cable Cam yet. I might try it but my video is so poor on the SOLO at this point that I cant get any use out of it.

But missions are a blast.

Here is one of mine with a Phantom. You can jump to the 2 1/2 minute mark and skip the first part flying over the fields.

This was totally beyond visual. Once I clicked GO on the mission app I put controller down and went in house for coffee.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Rich with video and flying like that.
why would you even consider buying a Solo or Phantom 3p.
exelant job.

Dirby, I probably should have kept the P2V+ for missions.

@Yourviewfromabove , I have no issues with the solo range stock. I realize it does not compare to the P3 but for stock its pretty good. 4200' so far :)

My impression of the Solo flying is something I said via email this morning to another site member. It flies like a Buick. If you move the sliders up it performs like a slightly more powerful Buick on ICE.

The Phantom is more sports car like as far as turning radius, etc. Now as you said, I am used to flying Phantoms and have at least 400 miles logged on my last one so I am not going to rule out the fact some of this can be in my mind.

The vertical climb rate on mine seems to be very slow. Definitely not like the Phantom. It descends quickly and otherwise speed is fine but takes a while to get to the altitude I like.

I am sure its better for guys that are doing video work. No doubt.

Very well said!

I've had all the DJIs except the Inspire (and the P3). Tried 3DR's Iris+ and never looked back. I have barely touched my Phantoms since.

An Iris+ with Tower beats any Phantom. A Solo beats the Iris with its easy to use Solo app, AND the ability to use the more advanced (but clunkier) Tower app (or Mission Planer on a PC, APM on Mac).

Right now, it's kind of the dream quad. So yeah, I'm happy with it and I'd recommend it.

Same situation here. Bought a Phantom ! within weeks of the release, bought a P2 last year. Bought an Iris+ in January and have flown the P2 once since.

Very well said!

Well you can crank the performance sliders up until it's pretty hyper and twitchy. Or you can use Tower to adjust the Params even further if you want.

The Solo is only "soft" by default for video. I actually cranked mine down even softer. So your right that it's for videographers.

I'd just say that tuned the Solo (and the Iris+ before it), feel very solid in the air. To me they are more like a BMW and the Phantoms more like a Toyota.

Reactions: RichWest
Hello, I just recently found this forum and I'm glad I did. I have over 40 years of flying and building experience from fixed wing to cars to helicopters to anything that you can stuff a radio in.. it's been a fun ride watching and experiencing the (rise of the machine). Years ago I did some R&D for a rc helicoter company so I like to design also.

Just a few thoughts.
I have owned over 50 different radios over the years along with other electronics for this hobby. As much as I hate to say it, we are all beta testing for companies.

One thing I have learned is that equipment especially GPS signals very greatly in the US and around the world and can drop off at any time. I own both DJI and 3DR electronics and I have yet to have any GPS or compass related issues and I live close to Fargo ND.

Now on the other hand,, I can take my equipment to other parts of the country and have issues... it's crazy,, electronics GPS reciever and Mag sensors are very acceptable to interference on any given day or time because of what's over head and what's under the ground effecting Gps and mag sensors. The military looses million dollar drones once in awhile as do we. It's not perfect.

I have use 3drobotics pixhawk since it hit the market years ago and it is not a plug and play and not for the people that expect plug and play. You can change any parameter that you want in the Pixhawk and make your aircraft fly and do anything you want, also its totaly capable of autonomous missions without having to purchase waypoints like DJI.
I send my hexacopter (pixhawk powered) on two and three mile autonomous flight missions. From takeoff to landing I don't touch the transmitter at all during its mission. It truly has proven it's capabilities to me and I have not had one issue with flyaway.

The Solo is sporting the Pixhawk II and just as the pixhawk you can plug it into mission planner and change and or add waypoints. Not advised because it will void warranty. The Solo is new and with any new baby they can be crabby.
Once people get the chance to realy start working with this you will see more and more capabilities and there will be updates as with every manufacturer.

Owning both Dji and 3drobotics I will support 3dr and the growing pains because there are good things happening and I like the ability to make thing fly my way. We are all experiencing a birth of a company that just might walk over Dji.

One last thought, I can always call 3DR and talk to tech support with ideas on how to make things better and they listen because they want input... Good luck talking to DJI about anything...

Sorry about the random thoughts ,,, just wanted to let you know how I felt.

Hello, I just recently found this forum and I'm glad I did. I have over 40 years of flying and building experience from fixed wing to cars to helicopters to anything that you can stuff a radio in.. it's been a fun ride watching and experiencing the (rise of the machine). Years ago I did some R&D for a rc helicoter company so I like to design also.

Just a few thoughts.
I have owned over 50 different radios over the years along with other electronics for this hobby. As much as I hate to say it, we are all beta testing for companies.

One thing I have learned is that equipment especially GPS signals very greatly in the US and around the world and can drop off at any time. I own both DJI and 3DR electronics and I have yet to have any GPS or compass related issues and I live close to Fargo ND.

Now on the other hand,, I can take my equipment to other parts of the country and have issues... it's crazy,, electronics GPS reciever and Mag sensors are very acceptable to interference on any given day or time because of what's over head and what's under the ground effecting Gps and mag sensors. The military looses million dollar drones once in awhile as do we. It's not perfect.

I have use 3drobotics pixhawk since it hit the market years ago and it is not a plug and play and not for the people that expect plug and play. You can change any parameter that you want in the Pixhawk and make your aircraft fly and do anything you want, also its totaly capable of autonomous missions without having to purchase waypoints like DJI.
I send my hexacopter (pixhawk powered) on two and three mile autonomous flight missions. From takeoff to landing I don't touch the transmitter at all during its mission. It truly has proven it's capabilities to me and I have not had one issue with flyaway.

The Solo is sporting the Pixhawk II and just as the pixhawk you can plug it into mission planner and change and or add waypoints. Not advised because it will void warranty. The Solo is new and with any new baby they can be crabby.
Once people get the chance to realy start working with this you will see more and more capabilities and there will be updates as with every manufacturer.

Owning both Dji and 3drobotics I will support 3dr and the growing pains because there are good things happening and I like the ability to make thing fly my way. We are all experiencing a birth of a company that just might walk over Dji.

One last thought, I can always call 3DR and talk to tech support with ideas on how to make things better and they listen because they want input... Good luck talking to DJI about anything...

Sorry about the random thoughts ,,, just wanted to let you know how I felt.
Thanks Rodney, I didn't know flying waypoints would void the warranty, guess I might have second thoughts after all on purchasing the Solo. As I like waypoints. I have the P2V+ and P3 like them both.Wanted the Solo because it does so much more and open for change, but if you change things and voids the warranty that is not good! at least to me.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421