What do you think of your Solo?

Waranty is temporary.....fly it so you don't void the warranty for 30 days....then fly it like you want to, if you really value the warranty that much.

I still have a week or 2 left in the warranty, but it has been solid for me, and I am not worried and will play with tower soon.

Yes, 100% stock.

The first flight was using up a battery around front yard with a couple take off and lands. The second flight I took it to 3250'.
So, they have an upgradable antenna?

Thanks Rodney, I didn't know flying waypoints would void the warranty, guess I might have second thoughts after all on purchasing the Solo. As I like waypoints. I have the P2V+ and P3 like them both.Wanted the Solo because it does so much more and open for change, but if you change things and voids the warranty that is not good! at least to me.
As for voiding warranty,, I was told from a 3dr representative that if the solo is plugged into mission planner and changed from factory settings it would void warranty "She thought".
And this is acceptable, if you purchase a new diesel pickup and modify the engine "ECM" you just voided warranty...
You really can't expect any company to warranty something that the consumer has modified,, So I can completely understand there concerns.

But if your like me, , warranty or no warranty it will be modified.

I know DJI won't warranty anything that has been modified. They barely warranty the equipment that is days old without a headache.

Hello all!, I am thinking about purchasing a 3DR Solo w/gimbal. What is your opinion about this UAV? I have a Phantom2 Vision Plus and a Phantom 3 advanced. I see people have many issue's with their Solo. Would you purchase another? is it worth it? Would just like to know your opinions and thoughts on purchasing the Solo. Thanks for your time.
As a multiple Phantom owner, and I so far like the Solo much more. AS others have said, without the gimbal, you really can't know, but I like the communication from the company, and I like the build and feel of the Solo. The thing I like best is their standing behind their product. "If it flies away or crashes (and it's not pilot error), we replace or repair it."

For me video is first, and I fr prefer the GoPro with the option of adding a modded lens. DJI got in a corporate fist fight with GoPro, and I think ultimately DJI will be the loser with that.

As a multiple Phantom owner, and I so far like the Solo much more. AS others have said, without the gimbal, you really can't know, but I like the communication from the company, and I like the build and feel of the Solo. The thing I like best is their standing behind their product. "If it flies away or crashes (and it's not pilot error), we replace or repair it."

For me video is first, and I fr prefer the GoPro with the option of adding a modded lens. DJI got in a corporate fist fight with GoPro, and I think ultimately DJI will be the loser with that.
Yes I do believe DJI screwed themselves.
Now that you can control the gopro from an app that is just a stepping stone from what's in the future.

I think people have already forgotten that DJI has to date, ,, Phantom 1,2,3 and sure there is a 4 on the way. ..
It's the same design just a different name and a nice gold logo...

There is a Solo 1,,, that's it. ... so let's see where 3drobotics will be when they reach Solo III...
If solo 1 is just as good as Phantom 3 now.
What will DJI have to compare to
SOLO 3D:)

I like to get all I can for my buck!
As for voiding warranty,, I was told from a 3dr representative that if the solo is plugged into mission planner and changed from factory settings it would void warranty "She thought".
And this is acceptable, if you purchase a new diesel pickup and modify the engine "ECM" you just voided warranty...
You really can't expect any company to warranty something that the consumer has modified,, So I can completely understand there concerns.

But if your like me, , warranty or no warranty it will be modified.

I know DJI won't warranty anything that has been modified. They barely warranty the equipment that is days old without a headache.
Yes! but having there "return to home" set at 49ft. for default is a not so good move. So if I changed that to save my Solo from hitting a tree I would be wrong??

I like to get all I can for my buck!

Yes! but having there "return to home" set at 49ft. for default is a not so good move. So if I changed that to save my Solo from hitting a tree I would be wrong??
You can, , through the Solo App change flight settings including altitude to 400 ft.. FAA rules.. So if you have a set altitude of 200ft and hit RTH the copter will RTH at 200 feet and then land..
As long as your above 99 feet or will maintain that altitude.
Yes below 99 ft it will RTH at 50 ft and then hover for 5 seconds and land.
I'm sure there will be an update to change this in the future.

You can, , through the Solo App change flight settings including altitude to 400 ft.. FAA rules.. So if you have a set altitude of 200ft and hit RTH the copter will RTH at 200 feet and then land..
As long as your above 99 feet or will maintain that altitude.
Yes below 99 ft it will RTH at 50 ft and then hover for 5 seconds and land.
I'm sure there will be an update to change this in the future.

Actually Rodney, the manual in some versions is incorrect. The real RTH height is 49'.

To change it you have to use Tower but as mentioned a change is coming.

Thanks Rodney, I didn't know flying waypoints would void the warranty, guess I might have second thoughts after all on purchasing the Solo. As I like waypoints. I have the P2V+ and P3 like them both.Wanted the Solo because it does so much more and open for change, but if you change things and voids the warranty that is not good! at least to me.

Well, we don't actually know it voids the Warranty.

That's something a few of us on these forums and at DIYdrones.com speculated upon discovering we could use the Tower app instead of the Solo app. If you are using the Solo app and crash, they will replace it. If you crash during the first 30 days while using Tower, then I *assume* that deal is off because it makes sense, but no one from the Compnay, as far as I know, has said it would void the Warranty.

Either way, you'll still find 3DR amazingly easy (and generous) in their support.

Hello, I just recently found this forum and I'm glad I did. I have over 40 years of flying and building experience from fixed wing to cars to helicopters to anything that you can stuff a radio in.. it's been a fun ride watching and experiencing the (rise of the machine). Years ago I did some R&D for a rc helicoter company so I like to design also.

Just a few thoughts.
I have owned over 50 different radios over the years along with other electronics for this hobby. As much as I hate to say it, we are all beta testing for companies.

One thing I have learned is that equipment especially GPS signals very greatly in the US and around the world and can drop off at any time. I own both DJI and 3DR electronics and I have yet to have any GPS or compass related issues and I live close to Fargo ND.

Now on the other hand,, I can take my equipment to other parts of the country and have issues... it's crazy,, electronics GPS reciever and Mag sensors are very acceptable to interference on any given day or time because of what's over head and what's under the ground effecting Gps and mag sensors. The military looses million dollar drones once in awhile as do we. It's not perfect.

I have use 3drobotics pixhawk since it hit the market years ago and it is not a plug and play and not for the people that expect plug and play. You can change any parameter that you want in the Pixhawk and make your aircraft fly and do anything you want, also its totaly capable of autonomous missions without having to purchase waypoints like DJI.
I send my hexacopter (pixhawk powered) on two and three mile autonomous flight missions. From takeoff to landing I don't touch the transmitter at all during its mission. It truly has proven it's capabilities to me and I have not had one issue with flyaway.

The Solo is sporting the Pixhawk II and just as the pixhawk you can plug it into mission planner and change and or add waypoints. Not advised because it will void warranty. The Solo is new and with any new baby they can be crabby.
Once people get the chance to realy start working with this you will see more and more capabilities and there will be updates as with every manufacturer.

Owning both Dji and 3drobotics I will support 3dr and the growing pains because there are good things happening and I like the ability to make thing fly my way. We are all experiencing a birth of a company that just might walk over Dji.

One last thought, I can always call 3DR and talk to tech support with ideas on how to make things better and they listen because they want input... Good luck talking to DJI about anything...

Sorry about the random thoughts ,,, just wanted to let you know how I felt.
Hey Rodney, Sounds like I wrote that! Couldn't agree more and we have similar experiences. Which helicopter company were you doing work for? Back in the late 80s I was sponsored by the Schoonards at Miniature Aircraft USA. Did demos and taught people to fly and they kept me in helis and parts.

Hey Rodney, Sounds like I wrote that! Couldn't agree more and we have similar experiences. Which helicopter company were you doing work for? Back in the late 80s I was sponsored by the Schoonards at Miniature Aircraft USA. Did demos and taught people to fly and they kept me in helis and parts.

Well I don't know if we can PM each other,, if so I would me more then happy to share with you as we have something in common.

Well, we don't actually know it voids the Warranty.

That's something a few of us on these forums and at DIYdrones.com speculated upon discovering we could use the Tower app instead of the Solo app. If you are using the Solo app and crash, they will replace it. If you crash during the first 30 days while using Tower, then I *assume* that deal is off because it makes sense, but no one from the Compnay, as far as I know, has said it would void the Warranty.

Either way, you'll still find 3DR amazingly easy (and generous) in their support.

It was my understanding from the 3DR representative that if Mission Planner was used to make changes to Solo.

Nothing was said about using tower to make changes,,, I personally think the tower app was designed for the sole purpose of being used with SOLO.
But 3DR needed an app to control the Gopro and also something easy for the general nooblets to use to get Solo off the ground.
Tower is a great app and only getting better,, do you realy think the tower app was designed for the Iris, Nope,,, they have bigger planes, ,,
It would make sense to make an app for the Solo so even monkeys can fly it and once the Solo has been in the hands of all of these monkeys for a few months wouldn't it be convenient to make an announcement to the masses that
(SOLO is now available with waypoint and mission planning for your GOPRO ) with the use of our TOWER app....

Maybe I'm wrong, ,, but if I was a betting man ,,, well let's all sit back and see what 3DR has up there sleeve in the next 6 months shall we?
Or you can all call me crazy now. .

Crazy :)

My limited experience with 3DR says they seem to do things on a case by case basis. I don't think tower on its own will void warranty. But if you do something stupid with tower it could.

They have to do something because they talked about having a Mission planner package for Solo. Right now they do not have a recommended authorized package.

I personally think the tower app was designed for the sole purpose of being used with SOLO.

I think a lot of open source developers who've been working on Tower (formerly Droidplanner) for years might disagree.

Droidplanner was created as an android tablet or smartphone version of the original Mission Planner, which only runs on PC. APM is another open source mission planning app that runs on mac and PC, but droid planner (now Tower) was never created for the Solo, or even the Iris for that matter. It was created for any drone (I think fixed wings too), that uses the PixHawk.

I think a lot of open source developers who've been working on Tower (formerly Droidplanner) for years might disagree.

Droidplanner was created as an android tablet or smartphone version of the original Mission Planner, which only runs on PC. APM is another open source mission planning app that runs on mac and PC, but droid planner (now Tower) was never created for the Solo, or even the Iris for that matter. It was created for any drone (I think fixed wings too), that uses the PixHawk.
Maybe?
It may have been created buy many developers but now it is listed as
Screenshot_2015-06-27-21-04-11.png

As you can plainly read, , tower is 3DR's ..
You don't say something is yours unless you own it or paying others to develop it...
Mission planner is not advertised as 3DR's
Nor was any of the open source programs.
Conspiracy theories LOL.
As long as it works for the Solo piwhawk II as well as it works for Pixhawk that will be great. . But don't be surprised if Gopro codes get written into Tower..

SOLO is also great experimetal and hacking platform. Only missing parts at this moment are gimbal, open source code, better comm range and GPS robustness. These having previous experience with Pixhawk autopilot will it very familiar for more advanced fun and will certainly love it.

No. Not maybe. It's definitely open source. Here it is on github: https://github.com/DroidPlanner/Tower
I never said it wasn't open source, it was the intentions and the push to make it what it is now. And it is backed by 3DR CORP. That's all. Being open source was never in question.
Anyhow I'm waiting to see if there will be any Gopro code implemented into it for mission planning and gopro control.
It will be a great move forward if it does.

Waranty is temporary.....fly it so you don't void the warranty for 30 days....then fly it like you want to, if you really value the warranty that much.

I still have a week or 2 left in the warranty, but it has been solid for me, and I am not worried and will play with tower soon.

-Something to be aware of, there is a 30 day -money back guarantee. Which means if you don't like your Solo after you purchase and try it for 30 days, you can simply return it, instructions are at the link below.

-There is a 1 year WARRANTY that covers any SOLO defect, and/or, damage or loss due to non-pilot error on a non-modified unit.

-There is a 90 day limited warranty on software (solos app). This info I need to further parse to understand how this applies to a unit replacement after 90 days, due to a crash/loss, because of software errors.

The warranty link is: http://3drobotics.com/warranty/
Smart to know you have a year to decide if you want to mod it, and forfeit your warranty, a year is a long time. I think I'll hang out and wait to see what they release as "authorized", or define in great clarity, in regard to 'authorized' range extenders and waypoint software, mods, etc. I mean it's only a thousand bucks if the camera and gimbal survive right. lol

Section 10.2 of the user manual:
This Warranty extends only to consumers who purchase the product from a 3D Robotics authorized reseller and is not transferable or assignable. This Warranty does not apply to: (1) Product subjected to abnormal use or conditions, accident (including without limitation, collision, crash or fire), alteration, or improper repair; (2) damage from exposure to moisture or extreme environmental conditions; (3) damage from use with any accessory, software or other product not expressly authorized by 3D Robotics; (4) damage from external causes such as dirt, sand, battery leakage, blown fuse, or improper usage of any electrical source; (5) commercial use; or (6) use in violation of law or ordinances in effect in the jurisdiction in which the Product is used. 3D Robotics assumes no liability for any accident, injury, death, loss, or other claim related to or resulting from the use of this product. 3D Robotics makes no other warranties for Solo, and makes no warranties whatsoever for service, software, maintenance or support for non-3D Robotics branded products. Such products, service, software, maintenance or support is provided by 3D Robotics “As Is” and any third-party warranties, products, software, services, maintenance or support are provided by the original manufacturer or supplier, not by 3D Robotics.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig