Video editing software

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm VERY new to this but I caught the bug like so many others. I haven't recorded everything yet since I'm waiting on the gimbal for my solo. I'm do NOT possess a huge background in photo and video editing and I don't plan to make a living at this. Just having fun shooting areas I love. That being said I want a simple software, something I can piece together shots, take out vibration and add music if I want. I see all this talk about how editing 4k vids is such a task and that makes no sense to my simple mind, lol. I need to keep it simple but will still produce a nice quality. I need it to be PHD...push here dummy.

Adobe Premiere is generally considered the best video editing software. I use it and love it. However, it is not easy to learn and may provide more than you need. Accordingly you might want to try Premiere Elements. And yes, you need a very powerful computer and video card to edit 4k video. Accordingly you might want to try 1080.

If you are a Mac user, with a pretty powerful machine, Final Cut Pro 10 is very good as well. If you have no prior editing experience, it is fairly easy to learn. If you have used Premier or Avid in the past (other readers here), then it will completely blow your mind since it has re-invented how to edit video. $300 gets a fully 4K ready software solution.

I know I'm a little late on this thread but I'm new around here. For video editing I always recommend Vegas Movie Studio for those that have never edited before. It is supposed to be intuitive to how you think it should work. I'm a long time editor that has been trained in other ways so it doesn't make sense to me but everyone I've ever talked to that has not edited before picked it up fast and easy.

Personally I use Grass Valley Edius for my personal projects (used to be a trainer for them) and use Adobe CC at my day job. Adobe is great but you pay for it. Premiere elements is also a good entry level and shares a similar interface to full blown adobe.

If you are a Mac user, with a pretty powerful machine, Final Cut Pro 10 is very good as well. If you have no prior editing experience, it is fairly easy to learn. If you have used Premier or Avid in the past (other readers here), then it will completely blow your mind since it has re-invented how to edit video. $300 gets a fully 4K ready software solution.

Agrre. I edit professionally, and FCPX is the best. Especially if you're new to non linear. There are some great videos from ripple training in the App Store that will have you editing in minutes.

Hey everyone. I'm VERY new to this but I caught the bug like so many others. I haven't recorded everything yet since I'm waiting on the gimbal for my solo. I'm do NOT possess a huge background in photo and video editing and I don't plan to make a living at this. Just having fun shooting areas I love. That being said I want a simple software, something I can piece together shots, take out vibration and add music if I want. I see all this talk about how editing 4k vids is such a task and that makes no sense to my simple mind, lol. I need to keep it simple but will still produce a nice quality. I need it to be PHD...push here dummy.
To keep it simple and easy, just use the GoPro Studio. The free version will do you just fine. You can cut out the stuff you don't want, add music, titles, remove fisheye, lot's of settings to play around with. It does just fine for someone wanting to do decent video.
Another freebee is Movie Maker for Windows. Lightworks is another freebee.

Lightworks: The professional editor for everyone

Finding a video editor is a very personal process. Professionals use Adobe Premiere Pro to edit videos all the time, but those are commercial solutions in the $2K price range. On the lower/free end, I can only suggest checking a good website for alternatives Video Making Platform. I use it permanently now.

If you have an iOS or Android device I would grab Splice which was originally developed by GoPro. It has recently changed companies (Bending Spoons), but it is a solid intermediate level editor which can be productive on an iPhone or iPad and will get the job done for most enthusiast level videos. Plus it is free to download and use which is as easy as it gets to procure.

If you are hardcore and really want to have a state-of-the-art video editor, nothing can compete with Final Cut Pro X on the Mac for the price, performance and capabilities, but you will need a Mac to drive it.

For us, we are professional photographers both traditional and aerial, so we use Adobe Suite (usually LightRoom and Photoshop for both stills and videography. Other than mapping, which is much more logical left brain work, Adobe beats anything out there, and we have really tried all we could find. Well worth the subscription, IMHO. Thanks, Sean Roop

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo