VERY important if you fly on commercial airlines

Very simple - you have a few options:

1. Keep Solo in the backpack with all batteries and bring it on board with you.
2. Check Solo with 1 battery installed. The other battery(ies) must be on your person when you board.

then you may need to consider a lighter setup for traveling
full frame mirrorless are under 1kg prime glass + body
or not take Solo
or take Solo and carry-on all batteries and be prepared when they lose your checked bags
I don't know- sounds like groover has a system that works for him.:)

Reactions: DattaGroover
You can find all the info you need by checking the airlines web site. This rule has been in effect for a long time. You never check batteries.
True, but what has NOT been in effect for a long time:
1) Now this set of rules is being enthusiastically enforced worldwide
and
2) ALL types of batteries now fall under this set of rules.

nothing new there, these batteries have not been allowed in checked bags for sometime
only in carry on

What are you talking about? Solo Batteries are not allowed in checking for some time now? Here... (attached) I just grabbed this off the TSA website, if the battery is under 100 watt hours (Solo is about 85) it can be put in checked bag OR carry on. I'm confused, please explain.

Attachments

• Drone Battery Limitations My TSA - Home Airport.pdf
    141.5 KB · Views: 9
What are you talking about? Solo Batteries are not allowed in checking for some time now? Here... (attached) I just grabbed this off the TSA website, if the battery is under 100 watt hours (Solo is about 85) it can be put in checked bag OR carry on. I'm confused, please explain.
It can only go in carry-on, EXCEPT the battery in the Solo itself. AND now that is being enforced where it didn't use to be.

. . . and basically NO batteries of any kind are allowed in checked baggage (unless they are installed in a device).

. . . and basically NO batteries of any kind are allowed in checked baggage (unless they are installed in a device).

Link me. There is a lot of misinformation, that's why you have to inform the HS dropout working @ the TSA what is the letter of the law. I pulled that from TSA again today. It's not changed and speaks nothing of what you said. I don't doubt your wrong, I just need something a little more official than "I heerd it n a blog post on duh internet so itses gotz to be truz"

Items 3, 4, and 7 apply to Solo batteries on the following chart:

PHMSA - Lithium Batteries

Item 3: Installed and less than 2 grams lithium; permitted in carry-on and checked.
Item 4: Not installed and less than 2 grams lithium; permitted in carry-on, forbidden in checked.
Item 7: Spare lithium battery, up to 100Wh; permitted in carry-on, forbidden in checked.

Link me. There is a lot of misinformation, that's why you have to inform the HS dropout working @ the TSA what is the letter of the law. I pulled that from TSA again today. It's not changed and speaks nothing of what you said. I don't doubt your wrong, I just need something a little more official than "I heerd it n a blog post on duh internet so itses gotz to be truz"
3 different airlines pulled out printed rules and showed them to me, and they all said all batteries. I have flown several times SINCE making this post, and was not asked about batteries at all. My plan is to not have any spare batteries in my checked luggage, just to avoid the hassle. Feel free to do whatever you want.

Last edited:
AND, here's the link:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Note that it says AA, D, etc. may be in checked luggage IF protected from shorts or installed in a device. One of my checkins the agent asked if I had any spare batteries. Yes, AA. She asked if they were installed in a device. No, but they are protected from shorts. She then said okay. I would rather err on the side of caution, and catch my flight, than have some numb-nut call me back form the gate and open my luggage to inspect my AA batteries.

AND, here's the link:
https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or...fo/media/Airline_passengers_and_batteries.pdf

Note that it says AA, D, etc. may be in checked luggage IF protected from shorts or installed in a device. One of my checkins the agent asked if I had any spare batteries. Yes, AA. She asked if they were installed in a device. No, but they are protected from shorts. She then said okay. I would rather err on the side of caution, and catch my flight, than have some numb-nut call me back form the gate and open my luggage to inspect my AA batteries.
. . . which does contradict what I was told at some points and what I posted above. I may print out that FAA pdf and carry it with me in case of ignorance.

Definitely print out either the FAA pdf, or the rules from IATA and carry them with you. I would also put a label on every LiPo battery stating the Wh capacity.

Most security screeners know to look for batteries, but very few seem to know the actual limit and go running for a supervisor. The very worst airport was Frankfurt, even with the printout - they couldn't calculate Wh, and insisted I left to put lipos in checked baggage. Fortunately I had some sticky labels, so labelled each lipo with the correct Wh and went through a different security screener - still some hassle but they eventually let them through.

Reactions: DattaGroover
Definitely print out either the FAA pdf, or the rules from IATA and carry them with you. I would also put a label on every LiPo battery stating the Wh capacity.

Most security screeners know to look for batteries, but very few seem to know the actual limit and go running for a supervisor. The very worst airport was Frankfurt, even with the printout - they couldn't calculate Wh, and insisted I left to put lipos in checked baggage. Fortunately I had some sticky labels, so labelled each lipo with the correct Wh and went through a different security screener - still some hassle but they eventually let them through.
Great ideas, thanks!

Have recently done a few flights with Emirates.
  • Drones are not allowed as carry-on – must be checked in luggage
  • Additional batteries must be in carry-on
I rather opted to remove the battery from the drone and include with my carry-on batteries – I had a situation once on a bumpy car journey when the drone somehow managed to switch on when something obviously pushed down on the backpack. Didn’t want to take that chance on a plane!

I also found it best to make my batteries very visible in a small unzipped bag in one of the trays like what is required for laptops when passing through the security scan. If it makes it easier for them it makes it easier for you.

Drones are not allowed as cabin baggage

For safety reasons, we can’t allow drones on board as cabin baggage. Drones can be accepted as checked-in baggage only. If you have a drone in your checked-in baggage you’ll be asked to either secure the Lithium batteries within the drone or remove the batteries and carry them in your cabin baggage. This regulation still applies even if you’re connecting to our flights from an airline that has accepted drones as cabin baggage
.”

http://www.emirates.com/english/help/faq/239030/what-is-the-policy-for-transporting-dangerous-goods

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44