VERY important if you fly on commercial airlines

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
I fly often. Since last month, I have flown 6 times, domestically and internationally. In that time, I have seen the same thing in the U.S., Australia, and Japan.

Every time I check in they ask me if I have any batteries in my luggage, the same way they used to ask if I packed my own luggage. Even Alkaline, button batteries, etc. count. I need to tell them if they are in the original packaging (in the case of anything but lithium) or are installed in the device they are accompanying in.

Flying from Tokyo to Osaka the other day, as my wife and I were going through security to get on our flight, I heard my name called. I went back to the check in counter, where a TSA equivalent took me to an X-ray screening machine in the back. They were very interested in my Solo, which I had fortunately removed all spare batteries from. I had to unpack it and show they which part was the battery, and that it was firmly installed in the Solo. They made me remove ALL spare batteries (even little ones) that were in my suitcases. First time that ever happened to me.

Fortunately, I had my photo utility vest (which I use for carrying photo and video gear where my carry-on weight is limited), so I could still get on my flight (In Australia and Japan they have a 7.5kg limit on carry on baggage - and they weigh it at the gate).

So if you travel with your Solo, make sure all spare batteries are in your carry-on, as they are checking more carefully now. I will also leave extra time for check-in from now on. Fortunately in Tokyo I already had spare time, but that all got eaten up like magic.

...or just carry on your Solo. If you use the 3DR backpack, then it fits under the seat in front of you... even on a tiny prop job.

I used to install airport baggage handling systems, and I've seen how they operate behind the scenes. I would never allow my $2k worth of Solo equipment run through one of those systems.

Reactions: iFly121
I don't fly as often as you do but I went through Canada, HK, Taiwan, Japan securities with no problem all in the last month. I think it's now standard procedure to carry-on large capacity LiPo batteries and your flying machine.

I was only asked to open my Solo bag once and that was leaving Korea. They just looked at the capacity of the battery and let me proceed after a 30 second check.

You're right though, do leave extra time to go through security.

I fly often. Since last month, I have flown 6 times, domestically and internationally. In that time, I have seen the same thing in the U.S., Australia, and Japan.

Every time I check in they ask me if I have any batteries in my luggage, the same way they used to ask if I packed my own luggage. Even Alkaline, button batteries, etc. count. I need to tell them if they are in the original packaging (in the case of anything but lithium) or are installed in the device they are accompanying in.

Flying from Tokyo to Osaka the other day, as my wife and I were going through security to get on our flight, I heard my name called. I went back to the check in counter, where a TSA equivalent took me to an X-ray screening machine in the back. They were very interested in my Solo, which I had fortunately removed all spare batteries from. I had to unpack it and show they which part was the battery, and that it was firmly installed in the Solo. They made me remove ALL spare batteries (even little ones) that were in my suitcases. First time that ever happened to me.

Fortunately, I had my photo utility vest (which I use for carrying photo and video gear where my carry-on weight is limited), so I could still get on my flight (In Australia and Japan they have a 7.5kg limit on carry on baggage - and they weigh it at the gate).

So if you travel with your Solo, make sure all spare batteries are in your carry-on, as they are checking more carefully now. I will also leave extra time for check-in from now on. Fortunately in Tokyo I already had spare time, but that all got eaten up like magic.
So they are looking for batteries in, say, a flashlight, radio, wristwatch in your checked bags?

So they are looking for batteries in, say, a flashlight, radio, wristwatch in your checked bags?
IF the batteries are in your flashlight or any other device, no problem. Spare (and especially loose) batteries are the problem. But technically, even if in a device, you have to tell them they are there. In Tokyo the other day, they made me open my bags to show that my battery was actually in my Solo. They fact that there were some camera batteries NOT in a camera may have flagged them to open the cases. On lists they have shown me, even alkaline AA batteries must now follow this rule.

Reactions: Maddog
...or just carry on your Solo. If you use the 3DR backpack, then it fits under the seat in front of you... even on a tiny prop job.

I used to install airport baggage handling systems, and I've seen how they operate behind the scenes. I would never allow my $2k worth of Solo equipment run through one of those systems.
For me that is just not possible. I always travel with at least $12,000 of camera gear, as well as my Surface Book, and I'm sure not going to check any of that. Especially in airlines in some countries with the ridiculous 7.5kg carry-on limit, I HAVE to wear my photographer's vest to get my gear on as carry-on!

Its standard procedure for all batteries to be carried on now, they dont want lipo batteries to be slammed around in baggage and catching fire, nor do they want batteries to contact something and produce a short condition with a thermal run away condition as well.

I too was nearly cavity searched for checking my solo, not because of the batteries, but because they hadnt seen one and wanted to know its purpose, if it was military equipment, belonged to a government agency, did i pack it and so on and so forth. Except this wasnt the luxurious Japanese airport but the back end of a 3rd world Caribbean airport with 2 soldiers, 3 policia, and an airport baggage guy. So try sitting in a 90 degree room with all of those guys trying to explain when their English was not so good and not sweating.

nothing new there, these batteries have not been allowed in checked bags for sometime
only in carry on

Guess the TSA hasn't figured out a "carried-on" lipo could be used to start an epic fire if somebody was so inclined.:eek:

Guess the TSA hasn't figured out a "carried-on" lipo could be used to start an epic fire if somebody was so inclined.:eek:

The difference is that it would be quickly noticed and dealt with while in the cabin. It could create a conflagration in the baggage compartment well before it could be noticed or detected.

Same thing in Hong Kong and China (mainland) airports. All batteries (any type) should be in your carry-on luggage. They will tear your luggage apart for sure (I'm looking at you Cathay ;) )

New UN mandate passed about the beginning of the year re lipos on airplanes, so it's pretty much world-wide. UPS and Fedex (et all) have restrictions now too since they can't put them on passenger planes as cargo, so they can only go on dedicated cargo flights.

The only way to personally bring lipos on a flight now is through a carry on, or fly in a country not beholden to the UN.

Reactions: Brebs
For me that is just not possible. I always travel with at least $12,000 of camera gear, as well as my Surface Book, and I'm sure not going to check any of that. Especially in airlines in some countries with the ridiculous 7.5kg carry-on limit, I HAVE to wear my photographer's vest to get my gear on as carry-on!
then you may need to consider a lighter setup for traveling
full frame mirrorless are under 1kg prime glass + body
or not take Solo
or take Solo and carry-on all batteries and be prepared when they lose your checked bags

then you may need to consider a lighter setup for traveling
full frame mirrorless are under 1kg prime glass + body
or not take Solo
or take Solo and carry-on all batteries and be prepared when they lose your checked bags
Okay, I'm an addict. I have to travel with my 5DMkIII, because I love using it. I bring 4 lenses with me as well (including 2 that are pretty heavy).
Same with my Solo. It's so nice taking it to exotic places. I get away with it all, it's just a hassle at times- but it's worth it to me.

New UN mandate passed about the beginning of the year re lipos on airplanes, so it's pretty much world-wide. UPS and Fedex (et all) have restrictions now too since they can't put them on passenger planes as cargo, so they can only go on dedicated cargo flights.

The only way to personally bring lipos on a flight now is through a carry on, or fly in a country not beholden to the UN.
That makes sense, as I have just flown in 3 countries that I also flew in December and they have seriously changed policy. Or rather, enforcement of policy regarding lipos. I thik including ALL battery types is new.

You can find all the info you need by checking the airlines web site. This rule has been in effect for a long time. You never check batteries.

Reactions: iFly121
OK, so you guys have confused me now.

So if I'm flying with Solo and my 2 spare batteries, what's the protocol? Obviously the spare battery can't be installed on Solo.

Up until now I've usually just mailed it to my destination to save the hassle of travelling with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buildnfly