Very First Time Solo goes mad...

Reaction score
I have been flying Solo with no issues since I bought it last year.
Today after having updated to the new Software (Android) and after having installed the new GSPS shield rvcd from 3DR, my Solo tried to get free!
Before flying I recalibrated everything as usual after an update, I manged to fly few minutes with no issues and then suddenly Solo started to behave erratic like it was hit by 100knots wind (there was no wind at all...).
It flew far from me (lost visual!!!) while I kept on hitting RTH and Pause buttons, luckily I managed to recover control and take it back home with no damages!
I attache here the log file: is anyone of you able to tell me what went wrong?
Pls note when I switched back on after the "escape" my controller and App kept on signaling -1% battery level. I had to modify a setting on Solo like explained somewhere else in this forum.
Another strange issue I never had before updating: my gopro 4 Black gets very hot and it goes off (High temp-Protection)
Only good note is that the GPS shield from 3DR works great!
Thanks for your help guys

Attachments

• 112 19-07-2016 17-20-04.bin.zip
    9.3 MB · Views: 11
Unfortunately I could not see the Solo while I was hitting the buttons as there were threes and houses around: I cannot really tell what happened
When I got visual contact again it was hovering much higher than when it left and I could take it back down to me

Sounds like it lost GPS & when that happens, PAUSE nor RTH will not manually operate. Doesn't matter how many times those buttons are hit.

I do not know how to read the log but when I load it on Mission Planner there are several errors like: Err: EKF_CHECK-2, Err: EKF_CHECK-0, Err: FLIGHT_MODE-4, Err: FLIGHT_MODE-6 and so on...

I used MP Auto Analysis and this is what it tells:
Autotune = NA -
Test: Balance/Twist = NA -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (47.66%)
Max mag field length (619.46) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: FLT_MODE
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.32, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = NA -
Test: Pitch/Roll = NA -
Test: Thrust = NA -
Test: VCC = GOOD -

I can't look at the logs at work to tell anything or sure. But if you're seeing those errors, that's a major malfunction. Use the app, while connected to the controller, to open a ticket to 3DR support. Personally, I wouldn't fly it until they've provided some feedback.

I had a similar experience with some of the same error messages and GPS loss during the flight which never occurred prior to 2.4. Support just said that it's due to GPS signal bouncing off buildings and confusing solo or something like that. I've flown from the exact same location many times without issue. However I had a similar situation when I was in flight manual and solo started to behave erratically and I barely got it down safely. It flipped on the grass and I was lucky that I wasn't flying it further away from me. Due to the troubles I described above I've been very weary about flying solo under GPS control and it seems like in some situations it malfunctions in manual mode as well. Going forward I will be using mission planner to see if it throws any errors. I usually like to do a quick hover test in manual mode and then switch over to fly mode while the copter is close to me to make sure it works OK. I'm also considering video recording my next flight because when something like this happens it's very hard for you to piece together what you saw. I know that the logs can show what moves you commanded solo to perform and compare that to what movements solo actually performed. What I don't understand is how you can determine if the moves that were unintended and performed by solo were a result of wind or malfunction. Does anyone know which metrics to put on the graph to look at that exact situation? I know you can look at things like pitch versus pitch desired and stuff like that but I want to know how to rule out a malfunction or a direct command originating from a compass or accelerometer that has lost its mind. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I can't look at the logs at work to tell anything or sure. But if you're seeing those errors, that's a major malfunction. Use the app, while connected to the controller, to open a ticket to 3DR support. Personally, I wouldn't fly it until they've provided some feedback.

The day my Solo went mad I see there are different logs files saved (I switched on/off Solo few times).
When I send the ticket to 3DR support how will I choose the right one?

How long does 3dr take to answer to a ticket?
I sent my logs files 4/5 days ago already. .
Thanks!
Well, if you check your auto-response email, it says 48-72 hours, and I'm certain that doesn't include weekend hours in that. Check your email and see if it has been at least 3 full workdays from submission. If so, give them another day and try to wake them up with a chat.

I said in another post somewhere that I imagine they are snowed with the cheap Solos flooding the market, piloted by first-time users.

I do not know how to read the log but when I load it on Mission Planner there are several errors like: Err: EKF_CHECK-2, Err: EKF_CHECK-0, Err: FLIGHT_MODE-4, Err: FLIGHT_MODE-6 and so on...

I used MP Auto Analysis and this is what it tells:
Autotune = NA -
Test: Balance/Twist = NA -
Test: Brownout = GOOD -
Test: Compass = FAIL - Large change in mag_field (47.66%)
Max mag field length (619.46) > recommended (550.00)

Test: Dupe Log Data = GOOD -
Test: Empty = GOOD -
Test: Event/Failsafe = FAIL - ERR found: FLT_MODE
Test: GPS = FAIL - Min satellites: 0, Max HDop: 99.99
Test: IMU Mismatch = GOOD - (Mismatch: 0.32, WARN: 0.75, FAIL: 1.50)
Test: Parameters = GOOD -
Test: PM = NA -
Test: Pitch/Roll = NA -
Test: Thrust = NA -
Test: VCC = GOOD -
Forget Auto analysis. I will take a look at your log over the next days.
There is a number of people who ran into this EKF problem including me recently.
From what I can say, It's not a GPS problem, rather it's an issue either with the compass or the accel sensors.
Please keep us posted on the 3DR response.

Hi Steve
There is a number of people who ran into this EKF problem including me recently.
From what I can say, It's not a GPS problem, rather it's an issue either with the compass or the accel sensors.
Hi Steve, little more info to contribute for your research on 2.4 update.

After i installed Droid 2.4, Every attempt for the next 5 or 6 the compass or the accel sensors or once both would pop up.
Solo was always in 15-20 MPH gusts " Can't tell if any erratic movement from norm Due to consistent high wind here"
Went thur the compass and the Level accel sensor setup once, the other times " reluctantly" I just waited for Solo Sat's were locked, then did a short flight test, then proceeded with flight.

Bought a IPad Air, about a week ago, Installed 2.4.Wind dropped to normal here 8-12 MPH.
Everything PERFECT, All smart shots that i tested was PERFECT. Never got a error "Compass and the Level accel sensor setup"
Not saying something wrong with Droid 2.4, cause Compass & Accel, may have been already set from previous attempt.

My 3DR shield also arrived today, if any problems, I will report here.

Hope this info helps

Last edited:
Reactions: Solo Keith
Hi Steve

Hi Steve, little more info to contribute for your research on 2.4 update.

After i installed Droid 2.4, Every attempt for the next 5 or 6 the compass or the accel sensors or once both would pop up.
Solo was always in 15-20 MPH gusts " Can't tell if any erratic movement from norm Due to consistent high wind here"
Went thur the compass and the Level accel sensor setup once, the other times " reluctantly" I just waited for Solo Sat's were locked, then did a short flight test, then proceeded with flight.

Bought a IPad Air, about a week ago, Installed 2.4.Wind dropped to normal here 8-12 MPH.
Everything PERFECT, All smart shots that i tested was PERFECT. Never got a error "Compass and the Level accel sensor setup"
Not saying something wrong with Droid 2.4, cause Compass & Accel, may have been already set from previous attempt.

My 3DR shield also arrived today, if any problems, I will report here.

Hope this info helps
"droid 2.4" ?? what?

I performed a few compass and level cals after the 2.4.0 update. Using Android. Just prior to every takeoff I received the "Uneven Surface" and "Calibrating Sensors" alerts. I do not get these with my other Solo using 2.3. The alerts go away in about 10 seconds. Tech support told me the alert popups were new with 2.4., added as a safety precaution because folks "kept moving Solo after it was being turned on, causing both of these sensors to have bad readings". Seems counter-intuitive to me since the the Uneven Surface alert says to move Solo to a level surface.

Ok Guys,
3DR Support answered to my ticket:
"it seems that one of the motor pods was malfunctioning and caused the vehicle to show this odd behavior"
They asked me to send them Solo's and Remote's serial numbers together with the proof of purchase.
Let'see what next...
It sounds like I have been bloody lucky not to damage my Drone then....

Ok Guys,
3DR Support answered to my ticket:
"it seems that one of the motor pods was malfunctioning and caused the vehicle to show this odd behavior"
They asked me to send them Solo's and Remote's serial numbers together with the proof of purchase.
Let'see what next...
It sounds like I have been bloody lucky not to damage my Drone then....
The standard answer.....
I looked at your logs, the typical behavior, Solo runs into an EKF -2 error, switches to AltHold, gets out of control by speeding away in one direction, eventually gets back after a few seconds and finally responds again to RTH or sticks if it has not crashed somewhere in between.

I had exactly the same incident on Saturday, Solo was doing fine the year before, and amazingly was doing fine another hour in the air after the incident. If a motor pod went bad, I very unlikely could have flown for an hour almost non stop this morning w/o issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44