Traveling with Solo

I can't wait to travel to Germany with solo. There's a cathedral in Cologne that I can get some great shots with solo

I have read in some FAA documentation that there is a limit of 2 spare lipo's. I think it's a good idea to bring supporting literature in case security questions you. Does anyone know what the limit is for batteries and does it vary by size of battery?

I have read in some FAA documentation that there is a limit of 2 spare lipo's. I think it's a good idea to bring supporting literature in case security questions you. Does anyone know what the limit is for batteries and does it vary by size of battery?

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/Documents/lithium-battery-update.pdf is the most recent update (aimed at manufacturers/retailers).

http://www.iata.org/html_email/car1001654/lithium_batteries.pdf relates to your question.

Keep your solo batts charged at 30% of capacity. Mathematically, 3 is all you can carry on; I'm usually traveling with twice that number and haven't been stopped *yet.*

This article offers up the watt-hour explanation/values.

Reactions: iFly121
So if you are traveling with 5 one on the solo and four in the backpack and they decide to limit you to the two.
what do you do?
rent a locker and store your extras?

So if you are traveling with 5 one on the solo and four in the backpack and they decide to limit you to the two.
what do you do?
rent a locker and store your extras?

Hope I can talk my way out of it. Failing that, I'll ship two to myself. There are no rental lockers at US airports any more.
So far, I've been golden, but I also have many, many years of experience dealing with TSA and parachutes too. Parachute sytems often have (all mine do) an AAD, a small device carrying a micro amount of explosive that forces a cutter head to cut a parachute cord in emergencies. TSA are afraid of these things, and the fun side is explaining oneself past the holding area. Never failed once in more than a decade. :)

Reactions: Scientific11
guess I will just drop back to the accepted number
cant afford to lose batteries
so is it one on the copter and two spares?

guess I will just drop back to the accepted number
cant afford to lose batteries
so is it one on the copter and two spares?

No reason to keep one on the copter if you're using the 3DR backpack. I'd slot all three, but sure! Why not? :)

I rarely travel alone on these sorts of things, and so if I really got jammed up, I'd ask my partner(s) to carry the xtra. Of course, my partner is usually carrying power for either Typhoon or DJI.

All good if you travel in Australia domestic. Virgin don't like lipo in the belly but as carry on. Virgin International is the same between here Australia and the States.

All good if you travel in Australia domestic. Virgin don't like lipo in the belly but as carry on. Virgin International is the same between here Australia and the States.

Bear in mind, it no longer matters an airline's policy; IATA has made the rule now, and no airline may deviate from it. It's international law now. However, an airline *may* choose more stringent laws.
For example, Quantas has an absurd rule that parachutes are not allowed in the cabin.:confused:

Last edited:
Oh ok. Sorry I have no experience with parachutes.
Bear in mind, it no longer matters an airline's policy; IATA has made the rule now, and no airline may deviate from it. It's international law now. However, an airline *may* choose more stringent laws.
For example, Quantas has an absurd rule that parachutes are not allowed in the cabin.:confused:
ok

Just returned from traveling from San Francisco to both Greenland and Iceland. Carried my Solo, batteries, props, etc. in a GPC backpack and had absolutely no issues (either domestic or foreign) with security/customs. In fact, during the 6 flight segments I took, security only wanted to look at my backpack once. And I think that was as much curiosity as security. Go fly!

Bumping this thread up as I prepare for traveling to Europe from SFO.
What's the deal with the remote? can we check it in or does the battery also need to be carried on?

Geeum

Excerpted from eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

"Except as provided in §173.21 of this subchapter, portable electronic devices (e.g., watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop and notebook computers, camcorders, medical devices etc.) containing dry cells or dry batteries (including lithium cells or batteries) and spare dry cells or batteries for these devices, when carried by passengers or crew members for personal use. Portable electronic devices powered by lithium batteries may be carried in either checked or carry-on baggage. Spare lithium batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only." Emphasis mine

So you can probably check the controller with the battery installed. I'd recommend reading the entirety of paragraph 18 in the link above as there are some very specific things in it.

Excerpted from eCFR — Code of Federal Regulations

"Except as provided in §173.21 of this subchapter, portable electronic devices (e.g., watches, calculating machines, cameras, cellular phones, laptop and notebook computers, camcorders, medical devices etc.) containing dry cells or dry batteries (including lithium cells or batteries) and spare dry cells or batteries for these devices, when carried by passengers or crew members for personal use. Portable electronic devices powered by lithium batteries may be carried in either checked or carry-on baggage. Spare lithium batteries must be carried in carry-on baggage only." Emphasis mine

So you can probably check the controller with the battery installed. I'd recommend reading the entirety of paragraph 18 in the link above as there are some very specific things in it.
The regulation states that the devices can be checked, but the lithium batteries must be carried on. This has been my experience while flying as well.

Last edited:
The regulation states that the devices can be checked, but the lithium batteries must be carried on. This has been my experience while flying as well.
Recently flew from Orlando Florida in to Manchester UK with my Solo in the backpack with battery fitted and three spare batteries in a Lipo fire proof bag. TSA never even opened the Solo backpack or the bag containing the extra lipo's. Carried them all as hand luggage, Solo back pack fitted perfectly in overhead stowage.

Bill

No, no it doesn't. Read carefully. The bolded line above says devices *powered* by lithium batteries. The next line says Spare batteries. Further on it refers to installed batteries in opposition to spare; this kind of legal construction intentionally creates a distinction between spare and installed batteries.

The reason that they want spare batteries to have their terminals taped, and them in the cabin,is to prevent shorting of the terminals, and make it noticeable if they do. Installed batteries very, very rarely short or catch fire unless being charged.

Now individual airlines are allowed to request that all batteries be checked, and some do.

Hi guys....has any body take the SOLO in an international flight as a carry on. I am planing a trip to Mexico and I have 6 batteries in the back pack.
Thanks
How was your trip ?
Did you take the SOLO?
I am currently making plans to do the same this year 2018.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc