Traveling with Solo

That's good advice for any interaction with the TSA on any potentially restricted item. I'm at the point of being so frustrated with TSA's shenanigans, I just preemptively avoid the hassle by putting things like that in my check bag. But another scenario, is what if you don't have a checked bag? Lot's of people travel light, and wouldn't have a check bag to put things like rotors into.

And to make sure I actually answer your question, the airport in particular where I encountered the ignorance was at SEATAC airport in Seattle. I live in Seattle, so I fly through there at least once a month.

Last edited:
That's unfortunate, particularly for Sea-Tac. I flew through there with my Solo on AlaskaAir to Sitka a couple months back, no hassles.
Many people today travel very light; backpack and a Solo for my last two trips. I should admit however, if I'm on Delta or a partnered airline, I'm always TSA pre-check so I don't have the "regular" line.

Another potential "help" (haven't done this with UAV) is that skydivers carry a small card that explains the function of our AAD (automatic activation device) so that when an overzealous line officer tries to deny us carriage (the AAD has a small explosive in it), we can point out why it's safe, and if they still press, why the FAA has specifically exempted us.

Carrying a piece of paper that explains our LIPO's and how they don't meet the standard for on-board restriction may help.
Again, you'd want to be friendly, congenially pointing out that you've done your research and understand their dilemma, and that you want to help them know more.

Reactions: JJ48Car
This is all really good information. Thank you to everyone who keeps using personal experience. I really am learning a lot

When will you be in Detroit? If I'm free perhaps we could meet up, I'll show you where to safely fly around the city.
Mike

Really quick question. Traveling out to Detroit and Canada next week. Thinking about bringing the solo with just in case I stumble upon any photographic possibilities. All I have is the solo backpack so I would like to carry on with it. Does anyone know if drones are allowed to be carried on? do the batteries need to be in a checked bag? And if Canada has any regulations that would really prevent me from even bringing it. Thanks in advance. New to the community

I've flown in and out of Heathrow in the UK to Switzerland, Germany and Cape Town South Africa with the Solo backpack batteries etc. just made sure there was nothing sharp in there.

FWIW, Qantas is fine, quick look, swab, sometimes they show interest, and on we go.
Battery mAHrs was checked ....once.

Really quick question. Traveling out to Detroit and Canada next week. Thinking about bringing the solo with just in case I stumble upon any photographic possibilities. All I have is the solo backpack so I would like to carry on with it. Does anyone know if drones are allowed to be carried on? do the batteries need to be in a checked bag? And if Canada has any regulations that would really prevent me from even bringing it. Thanks in advance. New to the community

I just got back from a trip to LA from NYC, no problem carrying the solo on in the backpack. Airline rules don't want lipo batteries in the hold, so at the very least carry those on.

Southwest had a sign that said no LIPO batteries..... but no-one checked.
I took it to Mexico, only pulled aside by security at LAX on the way back (1 out of 4), they did a swab and I was good to go. However in Mexico I was stopped by customs and had to pay an import tax. 16% on $432. Had to show a receipt for it. $1432 less $500X2.
also.... Southwest had a sign that said no LIPO batteries..... but no-one checked.

Solo58216 - Just curious, what was the import tax for? I am planning a vacation to Pureta Vallarta next month and want to take Solo along. Thanks

for the longevity of the battery to counter varying air pressure when boarding, is it best to leave batteries 50% charged or...?

Solo58216 - Just curious, what was the import tax for? I am planning a vacation to Pureta Vallarta next month and want to take Solo along. Thanks
They did not conceder it to be a "camera" and duty free, Said I was bringing in a drone that needs to have the inport tax paid on it. They allow up to $500 per person for non duty free items... Not sure of the exact rulls. But they kept asking when I purchased it, how much I paid and saying that it looked brand new. And that I needed to show them the receipt, I was able to pull the receipt up on my phone that helped a lot.

If you have to make a connecting flight in a CanadaAir 200 or Embraer 175, the 3DR Solo Back back-pack will NOT even come close to fitting in either the over head or under the seat.....

I fly these dink-wat jets all the time and I guaran-goddamn-tee you that back-pack WILL NOT FIT either overhead, or under seat.....the original ship carrying case, JUST!

Make sure you know what kind of plane you are flying, then visit www.seatguru.com to get all the specs of stowage space and plan accordingly.

Just flew from ATL to El Salvador last month, carried on Solo with batteries in GPC Case with no problems.

Carrying a piece of paper that explains our LIPO's and how they don't meet the standard for on-board restriction may help.

This is a wonderful idea. List the Federal Law on one side of the card and Solo Smart Battery and controller battery specs on the other. If they ask to open the case, hand them the card to read while you begin opening the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit
To the Squire of Gothos - I assume the 175 you flew in must have had a different cabin configuration. My backpack fit perfectly, albeit sideways instead of the customary end-in.

We had the hard case and was able to carry it on. It fit in the overhead with no problem. TSA never looked twice at it.
Same here GPC hard case (non-wheeled version) have flown many times, always fits in overhead or under seat. Never been questioned about it's size.

Most if not all airlines, list what they allow, size, weight and that can be carried on vs checked. Look it up. Also remember just because the TSA will allow the batterys does not mean the the air lines have to. They can and do set there own policies. True they can not allow something thats been excluded by the TSA.
If confronted I would argue that
a) TSA does allow them and
b) that they are the same type of battery that most cell phone and laptot computers use and if they are not going to allow you then they should not allow cell phones and computers and that by allowing computers they are already violating a "no lipo policy".

Reactions: Acroduster

@Asosa86 Hey! Welcome to my country!! :)... We have very strict drone rules here in Canada. The Batteries you can read all the posts above. But please be aware of Canadian LAWS: Drones are covered under our Transport Canada acts. Follow this flow chart for more info! Its very easy to read, especially for the greener folk new to the industry!

https://www.tc.gc.ca/media/documents/ca-standards/Infographic_Permission_to_fly_a_UAV_Print_English.pdf

Reactions: Asosa86
Just to add my pennies worth, I too had doubts regarding air travel and the legalities of the batteries. I travel every fortnight and have been carrying the solo and accessories as carry on.
I concluded the following, "most"airlines require them to be placed in carry on where the battery in the solo body it self is fine. It is the spares they query - however, there was a formulae used to calculate the lipo content and amp/wh or something along those lines for which the spare batteries fall below the threshold for this airline and can be carried on board. Initial Sweat over, the next obstacle was the size of the solo back pack as it didn't fit in the hand luggage allowance cradle at check in for a 737.. But when I saw the size of the handbags, "carry on suit cases" that went before I new there shouldn't be an issue as 90% of passengers exceed this limit....
J

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986