Tower and Shutter Function + new mod video coming

Reaction score
First off I have a gimbal wiring modification I'm going to be sharing soon. Part of it will void the warranty but the other will not.

Secondly, has anyone been able to use the shutter function in Tower yet? This function is required for structure scans and mapping, two things we do a lot of here at KState.

Last edited:
Reactions: Earldgrayjr
First off I have a gimbal wiring modification I'm going to be sharing soon. Part of it will void the warranty but the other will not.

Secondly, has anyone been able to use the shutter function in Tower yet? This function is required for trickier scans and mapping, two things we do a lot of here at KState.
I've used it in testing only. Was able to switch the GP between photo and video modes, and then to take a picture by pressing the camera icon. Or are you referring to a manual shutter trigger on cameras other than GP?

I've used it in testing only. Was able to switch the GP between photo and video modes, and then to take a picture by pressing the camera icon. Or are you referring to a manual shutter trigger on cameras other than GP?
I'm referring to the shutter function when flying a mission. When you set up a scan or parameter it automatically includes shutter release points spaced based on your camera FOV and records them so you can georeference them later.

I'm referring to the shutter function when flying a mission. When you set up a scan or parameter it automatically includes shutter release points spaced based on your camera FOV and records them so you can georeference them later.

I tried it yesterday but couldn't get tower to automatically trigger the shutter when running a mission. Switching between video and still camera works fine, as does manually taking photos, video and raising / lowering the gimbal by swiping the live video view but automatically triggering the go pro camera at a fixed n meter interval doesn't seem to work.

I can confirm this does not work yet.
Very frustrating.

Secondly, has anyone been able to use the shutter function in Tower yet? This function is required for structure scans and mapping, two things we do a lot of here at KState.
Looking forward to the wiring mod(s). Saw the shutter function and I get it, but haven't tried it yet. I have tried the gimbal functions, both POI and manual angle and they work as expected. Haven't had a need for mapping (3D or otherwise) but I will give the shutter a try in a mission next time I am out just to see how it works, and report back if nobody has.

Speaking of mods.... Interesting story: Forgive me if not the right thread. I was setting up the gimbal on Solo1 and had it apart to make sure the wires were routed and tucked away. I decided to redo the GPS spacer while in there. I have one made of the Sorbothane sheet, and it was "OK".

Where I am at, there are a LOT of political signs up right now. Someone stuck one in my yard for a guy I am not voting for without my permission. I was nice and called them and asked them to come get it. They didn't call back or get it after a week, so I took it down. It is made of corrogated plastic.

After another week I decided to use it for the GPS spacer, in place of gel, carboard, or even 3D printed plastic. I also cut the spacer in a sort of U shape, where there is a cut out near the center, at the corner of the Ublock chip leaving the antenna solder nub open, and another notch in the corner near the screw that holds it on furthest from the connector (lower right side if the Solo camera is facing away from you). I saw this part in the 3D printed mod. Not sure why, but is seems they took pains to do it, so I repeated. That screw then "barely" has enough to hold that corner, as most opf it is cut out. The center cut out continues past the connector (because it is easier to make with scissors). The whole thing looks something like a U with the center opening twisted, and a notch out of the upper left corner..

Anyway..... After putting at all back together, I was surprised when I got "Fly" before I could even get everything else together (I have become used to starting teh camera, then Solo and everything else after). I was so surprised that I restarted the process over several times. 5 times with 10 sats and lock in less than a minute. This is a place (in front of my house) were I have had trouble in the past.

It worked so well, I decided to do the same thing on Solo 2, and it performed exactly the same. Not sure if it is the difference in properties of the material, or the cut out in the center, or I suppose some other variable, but both of these are now very constently ready in < 1 minute.

Politics is useful after all!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Steven Ackerman

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44