Taking Solo to Hawaii

Reaction score
I plan to bring my Solo to Hawaii this June, we'll be taking Hawaiian Airlines from San Diego. I know you're suppose to bring it as a carry-on. I have the Solo backpack. Has anyone had any problems or advice for me. I appreciate your insight if you've done this.
Thanks

I recently traveled to Oregon and I was concerned about the same thing. On some planes my laptop backpack won't fit and it's much smaller than Solo's backpack.
The LiPo batteries are the only thing that have to be carried on, by regulation. I bought this hard case :
GOGPCSOLO1W | B&H Photo Video
and some LiPo safe bags. If they forced me to gate-check my Solo, I would whip the batteries out and put them in my tote and then rest easy ( maybe??) knowing Solo itself was protected by the hard case.
Fortunately the case did fit ( just! ).

I recently traveled to Oregon and I was concerned about the same thing. On some planes my laptop backpack won't fit and it's much smaller than Solo's backpack.
The LiPo batteries are the only thing that have to be carried on, by regulation. I bought this hard case :
GOGPCSOLO1W | B&H Photo Video
and some LiPo safe bags. If they forced me to gate-check my Solo, I would whip the batteries out and put them in my tote and then rest easy ( maybe??) knowing Solo itself was protected by the hard case.
Fortunately the case did fit ( just! ).

Thanks for the info.
LAK

I plan to bring my Solo to Hawaii this June, we'll be taking Hawaiian Airlines from San Diego. I know you're suppose to bring it as a carry-on. I have the Solo backpack. Has anyone had any problems or advice for me. I appreciate your insight if you've done this.
Thanks
This will be my Solo's third trip over. Delta each time via LAX.
Backpack fits overhead and underseat. i also have a hard case, but no longer travel with it in most situations. If I do, LIPO goes in LIPO-travel pouches in my carry on while Solo and other drone go in Cargo.

No one will hassle you. Bear in mind that *most* of Maui is a no-fly zone. Seven Sisters is marked "no drone zone." Much of Hawaii is no fly, so be sure you check nav charts before planning on flying, or use B4UFly. The first citations written for improper drone use in the USA originated in Waikiki, FWIW.

I can't confirm this but...

So I was talking with someone who just got back from Hawai'i. They said that drones were a big issue over there regarding people not liking them flying over the beach. He went on to say that cops will confiscate your drone and issue you a citation.

I can't confirm any of this, just thought I'd pass it on.

You must go to Ulalena when on Maui. The Maui Theatre - Lahaina, HI | Featuring 'Ulalena The Story of Hawaii's People

I can't confirm this but...

So I was talking with someone who just got back from Hawai'i. They said that drones were a big issue over there regarding people not liking them flying over the beach. He went on to say that cops will confiscate your drone and issue you a citation.

I can't confirm any of this, just thought I'd pass it on.

You must go to Ulalena when on Maui. The Maui Theatre - Lahaina, HI | Featuring 'Ulalena The Story of Hawaii's People

This is accurate for public beaches. Waikiki has no-drones signs around.

Thanks

I flew w my solo to Seattle, do not check it in as luggage. You'll have to take your batteries out so just leave it as carry on.
If anything I put the batteries in a lipo battery fire-safe bag just to show them at least if anything happens to the batteries that
the bag will contain the fire. Backpack was bulky but fit perfectly in overhead compartments, even the flight attendants were
surprised cuz it looks so bulky.

Reactions: Dan kirksey
This will be my Solo's third trip over. Delta each time via LAX.
Backpack fits overhead and underseat. i also have a hard case, but no longer travel with it in most situations. If I do, LIPO goes in LIPO-travel pouches in my carry on while Solo and other drone go in Cargo.

No one will hassle you. Bear in mind that *most* of Maui is a no-fly zone. Seven Sisters is marked "no drone zone." Much of Hawaii is no fly, so be sure you check nav charts before planning on flying, or use B4UFly. The first citations written for improper drone use in the USA originated in Waikiki, FWIW.

I'll be on Kauai, hopefully they'll be a little more relaxed. Not looking to do anything unsafe, just want some selfie's with the family.

I'll be on Kauai, hopefully they'll be a little more relaxed. Not looking to do anything unsafe, just want some selfie's with the family.
That'll be cool.

You know an alternative is to get online and see if there's a guy on Kaua'i who does drone work that you can hire for it. I completely get the desire to use your own drone, but on the other hand it would remove the hassle of taking it over and leave you more room for macadamia nuts on your return trip.

I appreciate all the input from everyone, thank you. But I was really hoping for someone who has made the journey with their Solo and let me know if they had any issues with airlines. If anyone out there has please let me know. Many thanks.

I thought I'd made it clear; I'm in Hawaii right now, with my Solo and P4, along with my belly-shipped S1000. This is my third trip over with the Solo, each time flying Delta out of LAX. What specifically do you want to know?

I thought I'd made it clear; I'm in Hawaii right now, with my Solo and P4, along with my belly-shipped S1000. This is my third trip over with the Solo, each time flying Delta out of LAX. What specifically do you want to know?

Hi - thanks for your response. I plan on carrying it on board with the solo backpack. I have lipo bags. I'll make sure the batteries are down to 30%. Did TSA or the airline give you a hard time? I flying Hawaiian airlines.

Hi - thanks for your response. I plan on carrying it on board with the solo backpack. I have lipo bags. I'll make sure the batteries are down to 30%. Did TSA or the airline give you a hard time? I flying Hawaiian airlines.

No, TSA nor Delta gave me a hard time. Likely in great part due to two components;
A-I had everything clearly marked in the boxes as to what they are for the carry-on, not attempting to hide anything.
B-The checked luggage, I asked TSA to hand-inspect prior to putting locks on the cases before they went down the beltway.

If you behave nervously, as though you don't know what you're doing, it will set off a response.

Lipo bags aren't necessary, IMO. I have only traveled with them in the USA one time and at LAX where they are VERY battery-savvy, they said nothing, asked nothing, and the bricks weren't in LIPO bags. The bricks for the S1000 are extremely large, being nearly 3X the size of a Solo battery. If those pass through without LIPO bags....That said, having the bags can't hurt.
Good luck, be aware of where you're flying on the island, and Aloha!

Reactions: Dan kirksey
No, TSA nor Delta gave me a hard time. Likely in great part due to two components;
A-I had everything clearly marked in the boxes as to what they are for the carry-on, not attempting to hide anything.
B-The checked luggage, I asked TSA to hand-inspect prior to putting locks on the cases before they went down the beltway.

If you behave nervously, as though you don't know what you're doing, it will set off a response.

Lipo bags aren't necessary, IMO. I have only traveled with them in the USA one time and at LAX where they are VERY battery-savvy, they said nothing, asked nothing, and the bricks weren't in LIPO bags. The bricks for the S1000 are extremely large, being nearly 3X the size of a Solo battery. If those pass through without LIPO bags....That said, having the bags can't hurt.
Good luck, be aware of where you're flying on the island, and Aloha!

Thank you, I appreciate the insight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo