Strange altitude limit problem

Reaction score
No matter what I do, my Solo will not fly above 164 feet. I change the settings at Solo>Settings>Altitude limits...

and still nothing. No matter what.... 164 ft is when it stops climbing. AND no matter what I set the limit to... 295ft, 310ft.... the next time I go back to change the setting to something else... the setting is returned to 190ft. But still my solo stops climbing at 164ft.

I've got the latest software version of the Solo app, updated the controller and Solo. I've shut everything off and restarted... still same limitation.

i've tried changing the settings while in flight, while on the ground... still no joy.

any thoughts?

Reactions: morganfj
I don't think I've ever heard of this. Are you getting any kind of "alert" from the Solo app when you approach or reach 164 ft?
If nobody chimes in with an answer, I see a chat session with tech support in your future. (Available M-F, bankers hours)

Did you check the max height parameter in Mission Planner? Sometimes my Solo will change to 1100 cm/sec as speed between waypoints for no obvious reason. I prefer to run the copter slower at around 500 or 600 cm/sec for Tower flights as I had a motor pod fail once on a waypoint at the 1100 cm/sec setting which was not pretty. For whatever reason, when I load Tower using my Galaxy 7 the speed setting will change. Maybe there is not a correlation but perhaps there is something going on with your max height which can be defined in the parameters using Mission Planner. As part of my pre-flight check I always verify the waypoint speed to ensure it hasn't inadvertently changed.

Havent used mission planner at all and I've never heard or seen an alert when it approaches 164 ft.

Don't know if this will help but check out this thread particularly post #6.
Altitude Default

well, I have a samsung note 3 running Android 5.0... which is exactly what that thread/post was about.

seems like the possible fix to to upgrade to 6.0 and it goes away... but I REALLY dont want to do that, it take rooting the phone and backing it up... seems like a lot to do for something that should just work in the first place.

it would also suck if the answer is... "upgrade to a newer phone"... having to buy a $700 phone that runs the latest Android version in order to make my $300 drone work... kinda sucks.

Choptop... I had to upgrade my Galaxy Grand Prime cheapo phone to a Galaxy S7 and I can understand the frustration. I suppose I justify the investment in the overpriced S7 as being paid for by the huge discount on the underpriced $400 Solo at Best Buy. My wife would say that's a flawed argument given I just purchased a 3rd Solo this week. At least I can fly all three of the copters with the same phone.

well, I have a samsung note 3 running Android 5.0... which is exactly what that thread/post was about.

seems like the possible fix to to upgrade to 6.0 and it goes away... but I REALLY dont want to do that, it take rooting the phone and backing it up... seems like a lot to do for something that should just work in the first place.

it would also suck if the answer is... "upgrade to a newer phone"... having to buy a $700 phone that runs the latest Android version in order to make my $300 drone work... kinda sucks.
Is there any way you can borrow another phone, iOS or Android, to see if the problem goes away?

Tried it out with the Galaxy s6 and no more 160 altitude limit. Flew it right up to 390 ft.

also.. the fits time I was actually able to set the speed of the Solo... holy snakries.... that thing can move out! It seems as though on my Note 3 it was perpetually set to "slow". Tried out the fastest setting scared the heck out of myself.

I guess now its off to get a new tablet or phone to use as a controller.

Reactions: Maddog
Tried it out with the Galaxy s6 and no more 160 altitude limit. Flew it right up to 390 ft.

also.. the fits time I was actually able to set the speed of the Solo... holy snakries.... that thing can move out! It seems as though on my Note 3 it was perpetually set to "slow". Tried out the fastest setting scared the heck out of myself.

I guess now its off to get a new tablet or phone to use as a controller.
Sorry you had problems, but thanks for posting the solution!
Glad you got it figured out.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Granny