Stand alone controller for simulator, no solo quad - possible?

Reaction score
I purchased a 3DR Solo remote control ahead of purchasing the Solo quadcopter so that I could begin practice w/ the Solo simulator before real solo flights. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a spare controller anyways. I don't have the Solo quadcopter yet.

My problem is that the controller requires an update and I can't move past the update to connect the Solo simulator app on my tablet. I have the update ready to send from the Solo app to to the controller. The issue is when I perform the update, the update wants a Solo quadcopter along w/ the controller. So I can't get my controller past this update stage so that I can use it with the Solo simulator app.

Is there a work around? Thx.

I purchased a 3DR Solo remote control ahead of purchasing the Solo quadcopter so that I could begin practice w/ the Solo simulator before real solo flights. I figured it wouldn't hurt to have a spare controller anyways. I don't have the Solo quadcopter yet.

My problem is that the controller requires an update and I can't move past the update to connect the Solo simulator app on my tablet. I have the update ready to send from the Solo app to to the controller. The issue is when I perform the update, the update wants a Solo quadcopter along w/ the controller. So I can't get my controller past this update stage so that I can use it with the Solo simulator app.

Is there a work around? Thx.
The only workaround I know would be to purchase solex and update the controller to open solo. You can do this even with the "preflight update required" screen on the controller. However once you do this I'm not sure it will work with the "solo simulator" any more.

If it’s going to be a while until you get Solo, you might get a cheap quad to practice with first. This way you can acquire basic skills.

I started with the Syma X5C. Amazon has it for about $30. If you do, get extra batteries, as flight time is less than 10 minutes. It’s great for flying inside,

Reactions: DJMc
[QUTE="IrishmanPDX, post: 133204, member: 11321"]The only workaround I know would be to purchase solex and update the controller to open solo. You can do this even with the "preflight update required" screen on the controller. However once you do this I'm not sure it will work with the "solo simulator" any more.[/QUOTE]
Just to confirm that Open Solo is not compatible with the 3DR Sim app. The Sim is a hoot and does provide some cabin fever relief. Best part is no matter how hard you crash it shakes itself off and flies again. I especially like landing on the moving yacht. No doubt the Sim has been upgraded with a Green Cube!

[QUTE="IrishmanPDX, post: 133204, member: 11321"]The only workaround I know would be to purchase solex and update the controller to open solo. You can do this even with the "preflight update required" screen on the controller. However once you do this I'm not sure it will work with the "solo simulator" any more.
Just to confirm that Open Solo is not compatible with the 3DR Sim app. The Sim is a hoot and does provide some cabin fever relief. Best part is no matter how hard you crash it shakes itself off and flies again. I especially like landing on the moving yacht. No doubt the Sim has been upgraded with a Green Cube![/QUOTE]
Yes but if it was a TRUE sim... you'd take off, fly up.... and then the police and FAA would show up and arrest you for flying in a no fly zone next to the statue of liberty. So yeah, it does lack realism...

:D

Reactions: Michael Lione
Thanks all. My Solo quadcopter arrived. So before I factory reset the Solo to update and pair to the controller the Solo came with, I factory reset the Solo to update and pair w/ my first controller that I want to use as a stand-alone simulator. Once this controller updated, it easily connected to the Solo Simulator app. I then proceeded a full factory reset of the Solo and controller that came with Solo, including new pairing, and completed the full set up needed b4 fly (including level and compass calibrations).

My goal with the simulator is not so much for entertainment, but to run the controls more second nature without giving so much forward thought.

I sorta successfully landed on the yacht platform, before sliding off into the ocean :)

Thanks all. My Solo quadcopter arrived. So before I factory reset the Solo to update and pair to the controller the Solo came with, I factory reset the Solo to update and pair w/ my first controller that I want to use as a stand-alone simulator. Once this controller updated, it easily connected to the Solo Simulator app. I then proceeded a full factory reset of the Solo and controller that came with Solo, including new pairing, and completed the full set up needed b4 fly (including level and compass calibrations).

My goal with the simulator is not so much for entertainment, but to run the controls more second nature without giving so much forward thought.

I sorta successfully landed on the yacht platform, before sliding off into the ocean :)

Cool keep practicing and read over the forums about what happens if you lose GPS while flying the SOLO, hint you will need to program one of the controller buttons to "manual" to fly the SOLO manually and then actually practice flying the SOLO in manual mode, This little tip will save you from some potentially heartache later on..Enjoy!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc