Splash!

You’re right Maverick; Getterback would have deployed after a few minutes and he could have pulled his drone up from the bottom- electronics may be crap- but he would have body, props, legs etc

Reactions: NightStorm
As someone mentioned before... Please review the logs and let us know what happened!
I think that to get the logs I'd need the craft, not something I'm capable of doing. That pond is quite remote from me, plus I'd need a boat or be a diver.

I think that to get the logs I'd need the craft, not something I'm capable of doing. That pond is quite remote from me, plus I'd need a boat or be a diver.
The logs are stored in the controller so you can get them if Solo goes AWOL.

The logs are stored in the controller so you can get them if Solo goes AWOL.
Thanks Maddog. I feel stupid, I've should have paid more than peripheral attention to the discussions of retrieving logs. About time I did some reading and learned how to interpret them. I'll post what I can later.

Well that's obviously a halloween vid because that's my worst nightmare!! So traumatic how fast it falls even in slow motion lol

I feel your pain...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

No chance. At the scene we used my friend's video to try to estimate where it hit. Thick woods surrounding the pond made getting to the nearby shore tough. My hope was that the lights would still be on and visible through the water but when we got in the area it was clear that there was no chance. The drop-off is severe, it gets deep fast plus the water is so cloudy that everything disappears 12-18 inches down.
We had been out doing some video along the Maine coast for a couple of days. One silver lining was that right before I took off I had this thought to swap out the SDCard "Just in case". If I had not done so I'd have lost about 8 batteries worth of recordings.
I'm also grateful for a couple of lessons learned: first be more aware of the take off conditions. When I lifted off there was a lot of blow into the air of 2-3 inch long brown fragments from marsh vegetation (looked a lot like pine needles, but were not). I'm not sure I could have done much about this first one given that the edge of the pond had few choices for take-off and landing spots but in the future I think I'll start to carry some kind of small tarp-like thing to lay down.
Second was that as I took off I had this thought that the motors sounded "funny", can't put my finger on it but they had a slightly deeper tone to them. Clear-vision hindsight says I should have brought it right back. Next time.
I use this sometimes.

Attachments

• DSC00565.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 34
Thanks Maddog. I feel stupid, I've should have paid more than peripheral attention to the discussions of retrieving logs. About time I did some reading and learned how to interpret them. I'll post what I can later.
I can find them but I still can't interpret them.:(

Did he post a log somewhere?
I am posting them now. Besides having dreams of the deep I've been hosting an guest from Europe the last week+ so am slow getting 'round to things.

I am attaching the solo.tlog file.
Seems I have to add a .txt to get it to upload.

Attachments

• solo.tlog.txt
    313.6 KB · Views: 9
I know you say it's a remote location, but it's so close to shore and you know the location to a pretty close degree... I'd go back with a big magnet, it'd be bound to latch on to one of the motors.

If you need another gimbal cable, just let me know and I'll drop one in the mail.

Reactions: NightStorm
I know you say it's a remote location, but it's so close to shore and you know the location to a pretty close degree... I'd go back with a big magnet, it'd be bound to latch on to one of the motors.

If you need another gimbal cable, just let me know and I'll drop one in the mail.
That is actually not a bad idea and techie enough a solution to be appealing (a trap I all too eagerly enter). Something about the grappling hook seemed implosible to me, but the magnet is just selective enough that it might work. I think I'll start researching magnets tomorrow. With magnet technology these days there might be something that powerful. Thanks!
Likewise for that offer, it did indeed have your cable in it, a huge contributor to why it took smooth video. Thankfully I bought two of them from you and I've already put the second in the backup solo. Once the green cube, the refurb. H4B, and rectilinear lens arrive I'll be back in business (meanwhile the leaves are doing their Autumn thing without me here in New England). Yikes, I am just this second as I type this realizing that I also lost the Marco Polo tag that I always Velcro-stuck to whatever I was flying. Argh.

You’re right Maverick; Getterback would have deployed after a few minutes and he could have pulled his drone up from the bottom- electronics may be crap- but he would have body, props, legs etc
I believe it is brackish water there so as you say I'm not sure whether anything beyond the plastic would be salvageable.
I've known of the Getterback but never seen one. A lot, perhaps even a majority, of my flying is over water. After watching this I am getting one. Or two. Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fatbeatle