What drone is the best to start with and train on for solo to avoid wrecks? (act as training wheels)

What is the best training drone (featuring an action camera) for a Solo?

• The Bug

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Syma

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thanks for the recommend, guess those are your channels, cool, good for you. Good sellin' point watchin' the drone crash into the mailbox and then asphalt and bounce back both times. :)
Thanks! Yeah the Ominus survived a fair bit of abuse, especially after replacing the propeller shafts with the harder anodized aluminum shafts from the LaTrax Alias.
Do the propellers always show up in the videos? Is that a thing that gets better with practice or just is part of the design (also wondered about the quality of camera, not lookin; pro but it is more about the camera than racing in what I'm lookin' for.)
Have you tried the "bug" and have any thoughts on it? Also the Syma? I've been readin' some on these.
Propellers will show up or not depending upon the focal length of the lens and where you have it mounted. I chose the wider lens on purpose for that camera. The camera (808 #16 V3) is about as good as it gets below 30grams of weight. If you want significantly better video, you need a UAS that can have a higher payload. Check out the RunCam footage for compassion: They're excellent for price/weight.

RunCamHD (Gen1): (Jello is due to a bad motor bell housing which I never got resolved on that UAS)
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

RunCamHD2:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I've not tried the bug, and the only Syma I have is the X5HC which I've yet to take out. I need to do that before winter sets in again.

Do the propellers always show up in the videos? Is that a thing that gets better with practice or just is part of the design (also wondered about the quality of camera, not lookin; pro but it is more about the camera than racing in what I'm lookin' for.)

Have you tried the "bug" and have any thoughts on it? Also the Syma? I've been readin' some on these.
The props shouldn't show up in videos. You can help prevent that by pointing the camera down towards the ground slightly instead of straight ahead, flying more slowly and not making rapid turns.

Reactions: tickingheart

Hi,

I used the following as my primary training drone and still love to fly it.

https://www.amazon.com/Hubsan-H107L...6868805&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=hubson+x4+h501L

You can get it if for apx $25 if you look around. I have two of these I like it so much.

There are many versions of this quad but this one is the original and the best as far as I can tell, it only has manual mode with no altitude hold (I hear the versions "with" altitude hold are not very good), so it is a great trainer. I must admit that it only helps "prepare" you for flying the solo in manual mode because a powerful quad like the solo is a whole different beast all together - I am still learning to fly the solo in manual mode.

You will need longer lasting batteries than the stock ones, since the stock one only last a few minutes. Here is an example (I have not tried this specific product, just something similar):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01ANHO4N8?psc=1

Last edited:
If you have not made your decision yet... I agree complete with getting something small to learn to fly first. The props are cheaper when you crash, and everyone does when learning, and you need to get the feel of the controller but a new option that is not quite on the market might be worth considering.

The Sky Viper 2450GPS. The important difference between this quad and other entry level units is that it has the same flight controller and all the same basic capabilities as Solo. Everything you learn using it is directly transferable. It was designed with consultation of the same team that designed the Solo.

It is scheduled to be out soon priced at about $150 retail.

V2450GPS-sd

my two cents

Good Luck

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986